Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Connect performance tuning (under Linux specifically)
  •  
Bud Durland

Send a private message to this user
One thing we are seeing with the upgrade to 9.2.7 sp3: The new version seems to be even more disk i/o intensive than the previous one. Our Connect server runs in a Debian 8 VM, with 4 CPUs and 12GB of RAM. Our mail store is appx 2.7TB, with ~7.5 million files

Such things are often hard to find the root cause for, but I'm trying. Running IOSTAT consistently shows the CPUs having a '%iowait' value over 25, which implies a disk problem to me. I'm not as fluent in Linux as I should be, so looking to others for testing / tweaking advice with regard to file system settings (the volume is EXT4), and so forth. Our storage is on a SAN, so I'm also looking to the vendor to advise if there's a way to speed that up.

Or maybe version 9.3 with the new speedier file system that was promised a year ago is on it's way. Smile

•  
Maerad

With 9.2.7 Linux had encryption added - maybe this is turned on? Would incrase the I/O with encrypt/decrypt.

Also I'm not sure that your setup is great for kerio, even more so with a SAN. 7.5 mil files is quite something, that over a SAN connection with increased latency is already bad. And with kerio using a local file DB instread of something like MySQL... that could become a problem over time.

Yes, depends strongly on the SAN itself (raid type, ssd cache, type of harddrive, connection etc.) and for kerio you would need a SAN with fast read access at least. So a SSD Raid of some form or 10-15K SAS with SSD Cache.

Not to forget, depends on the users that access the files Smile
  •  
Bud Durland

Maerad wrote on Tue, 16 October 2018 04:46
With 9.2.7 Linux had encryption added - maybe this is turned on? Would incrase the I/O with encrypt/decrypt.

I wouldn't even know where to look to enable/disable that.
Edit: So I took off my dunce cap and looked in the Admin console. and found it under advanced options. Encryption is not enabled for our server.

Quote:
Also I'm not sure that your setup is great for kerio, even more so with a SAN. 7.5 mil files is quite something, that over a SAN connection with increased latency is already bad. And with kerio using a local file DB instread of something like MySQL... that could become a problem over time.

Agreed; I keep hoping for the speedy new message store system that was promised pre-GFI. Until then...

Quote:
Yes, depends strongly on the SAN itself (raid type, ssd cache, type of harddrive, connection etc.) and for kerio you would need a SAN with fast read access at least. So a SSD Raid of some form or 10-15K SAS with SSD Cache.

That's why we're budgeting for a new Synology Flashstation with enterprise level SSD.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 October 2018 15:39]

Previous Topic: Domain footer image double extension.
Next Topic: Kerio Connect 9.2.7 p3 released
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Oct 19 06:49:47 CEST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.69466 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.