Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » mounting of the webmail files under a different webserver instance
  •  
desquinn

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I mentioned this in an post on the resellers forum's but thought it might be best to try it out in its own thread here.

Background:
I have KMS installed on a customised RH9 distro that has Apache running on it. So the first client that I have used KMS with has a virtual host that redirects them to the KMS webmail on a different port. This is fairly transparent to the user but It is still not elegant

Proposed Solutions:
As I see it at the moment I have 2 choices to improve this setup. I can use apache within a virtual host to reverse proxy for the webmail setup and this should add a layer of security as well as accomplishing my goal.

The second option I have is to use the Alias directive within apache as explained in my original post. This would allow us to have the webmail application as part company website.

Alias /keriowebmail /opt/kerio/mailserver/webmail/ 

This does not work on my test apache site as I dont have the zend optomiser installed. So I am wondering if I install zend, is it going to work and are there any other modules that I might require.

any thoughts would be appreciated on either of the two methods.

I know that I can slip Squirrelmail into this as a third alternative but I would prefer to use the full featured kerio webmail client.

Thanks

Des Quinn
  •  
sonofcolin

This has been a long time feature request. I would love to run KMS webmail through our separate webserver and others have also mentioned this. It is one of the most attractive features of KMS and users really should have the choice.

Update:
I just created a new virtual host on our webserver and it works just fine! We have zend build of php, so this may be the reason. Also check file permissions are read and write for your webserver.
You still need to have HTTP or HTTPS services running in KMS for this to work. I would like to turn of these services in KMS and make webmail independant of the built in webserver.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 02:28]

•  
desquinn

excelent thanks for the update. Now I can set the time aside to add zend and see what happens. The additional services running is a bit of a resource issue but not on the box that this setup will be running.

in the VH, was the alias all that you had to add?

Des Quinn
  •  
sonofcolin

desquinn wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 04:30

in the VH, was the alias all that you had to add?

We don't use apache so our setup is slightly different, but the principle is the same. Add the default folder inside of the 'webmail' directory to your VH file (I used an absolute path rather than alias) Change folder permissions according to the requirements of your webserver and that should be it.

I used a duplicate of the webmail folder just in case I hosed the system.

Let me know if you can get it working without built in web services.
  •  
Yves Smolders

I haven't checked,

but you could maybe make a second IP alias on your network card and bind apache to only of of the two IP's, and Kerio to the other.

Does kerio support IP binding?

Yves
  •  
sonofcolin

Yves Smolders wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 11:27

Does kerio support IP binding?

Not on OSX. This is a bug as i've been trying to do this. Our webserver is bound to one of our NIC's but KMS will not bind to a specific one.

I think you can do this on windows and Linux.
  •  
desquinn

this is what support suggest but I would prefer the single webserver solution. I could also do reverse proxying but dont want to either

Des Quinn
Previous Topic: Kerio's Catalogue of Errors
Next Topic: 6.04
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 14:30:04 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00459 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.