Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio or NOT?
  •  
nexusone

Send a private message to this user
I've installed 6.0.3 in demo mode and have a couple of specific concerns,and one more general one.

How do I disable Kerios webserver and run the webmail component under apache? It's not realistic for me to forego the use of apache on this server.

Short of tying kerio to a directory of some sort, is there a non-gui way of administering the server? I'm a unix person and would rather not lock myself into the use of a gui if possible.

Are there any facilities available to migrate user data from an existing imap server to kerio?

And the other big general question..... is kerio a good product? I seem to see a lot of warnings and bug reports about 6.0.3 in this forum and frankly that doesnt make me want to purchase the product. Nevermind how commonly i see people saying that support is awful. I refuse to deploy microsoft as a server OS so exchange is out. and groupwise/notes is just a lot more than i really need. I've kicked around the idea of using SUSE OpenExchange but find it to be rather "unpolished" in terms of interface.

So I'm stuck in an awkward middleground and Kerio seems to be an okay fit barring the above mentioned concerns.

Any input is appreciated.
  •  
sonofcolin

Some very short answers to your questions:
1. You can't
2. No.
3. Not really. You can only do it on a per account basis by replicating the other IMAP directories in KMS and copying messages over by drag n drop or copy.
4. Despite some mishaps in 6.0.3, KMS is still a great product IMHO.
  •  
bperkins

I'm a linux/unix person and I think KMS is a great product! I don't think support is aweful at all, quite the contrary. I have to deal with support from many companies and Kerio is right up there at the top in support for me.

BP
  •  
desquinn

<at>sonofcolin
disagree with your answers for one and two.

1. there are options for this including reverse proxing, multiple ips, rewriting, and aliasing. However the hosts KMS servers may need to continue to run.

2. you can manage it from the console by hand editing of the XML based config files and then reloading (restarting the service) the configuration

got to agree that it is a good product, just suffering from growing pains both in development and support

Des Quinn
  •  
sonofcolin

desquin,

1.Yes, it can run under a webserver, but not with HTTP services disabled in KMS.
2. Yes, I supposes you could if you start and stop the mailserver process. Didn't really give it much thought.

I did say they were quick answers!
  •  
desquinn

the other thing I should have dropped in for point 1 is that you can use squirrelmail without using the kerio web services.

Des Quinn
  •  
sonofcolin

desquinn wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 17:06

the other thing I should have dropped in for point 1 is that you can use squirrelmail without using the kerio web services.

There are many webmail packages that would work without web services in KMS being enabled. None are as polished as KMS webmail, although similar speed to the 5.7x version would be nice. One of the features that attracted us to KMS was the webmail under 5.7
  •  
nexusone

Can someone point me to a howto or faq regarding the apache configuration. if kms is going to be doable for me apache must be operating normally on this machine along with kms.

the polished webmail interface is one of the biggest attractions to kms. i've used squirrelmail for years and can even lay claim to a couple minor code features now included in the codebase. It's just something I want my users to have to work with day in and day out.

i'm also about to install an evaluation of communigate pro. anyone have any opinions of cgpro versus kms?
Previous Topic: Offline pst files
Next Topic: Recommendations for switching?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 07:37:38 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00515 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.