Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » marking spam for multiple mails
  •  
nina802

Send a private message to this user
I just installed KMS6.0.4 on the linux server and KOC on my windows xp pc. I noticed that when I highlight multiple messages, the spam button still is able to be focus. Does that mean Kerio already enable marking spam for multiple messages? I don't want to press the button now, since it used to crash our server when we did spam traing from Outlook. BTW, the spam button in webmail is still gray out when I highlighted multiples messages. Since it isn't consistent in different interfaces, I can't tell if kerio added the feature on KOC or it just another bug.
  •  
nina802

FYI, I found out that even though the spam button was not grey out when I highlighted multiple messages, it refused to train multiple spam emails. I still can't think of any reason for marking multiple messages as spam being a security issue. Oh, well ...
  •  
cying

I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't understand why marking multiple emails as spam constitutes a security risk. I need to find a Czech friend to find out how Czechs think! Like driving a Citroen, you have to turn your mind to French mode to find where the controls are. When using Kerio, you have to "Think Czech!"

Charles
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

cying wrote on Thu, 18 November 2004 20:05

I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't understand why marking multiple emails as spam constitutes a security risk. I need to find a Czech friend to find out how Czechs think! Like driving a Citroen, you have to turn your mind to French mode to find where the controls are. When using Kerio, you have to "Think Czech!"

Charles

Ok. Let's imagine an ordinery user. He selected all messages in his folder and want them delete. However, accidentaly click on Spam button instead of Delete. What will happen? All messages are gone BUT your Bayes filter in SpamEliminator is poisoned by regular e-mails. There is no way how to revert changes unless you have removed e-mails.
  •  
desquinn

how about a yes no ialog that says "are you sure that you want to mark all these messages as spam"

then put an option somewhere to turn the annoying dialog off, even a reg key would be good

Des Quinn
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

desquinn wrote on Tue, 23 November 2004 10:33

how about a yes no ialog that says "are you sure that you want to mark all these messages as spam"

then put an option somewhere to turn the annoying dialog off, even a reg key would be good

This dialog is already there. If you didn't know that then this soultion is not efficient. Nobody really read what any annoying dialog says, the only thing they know is "just click Ok and dialog will disappear".
  •  
desquinn

"If I did not know" ..........

The dialog that appears at present is a dialog that says "You can only mark as spam one message at a time"

this is NOT a yes / no dialog as I suggested. It is a non modal dialog that says you cant do something as opposed to what I am suggesting. I would recommend you give users the choice about what to do in this situation rather than relying on them being stupid.

Quote:

Nobody really read what any annoying dialog says, the only thing they know is "just click Ok and dialog will disappear".

with this attidude their is a danger of never implementing any useful features as the user will be too stupid to operate them properley. I would say that your responsibility is to code the product and our responsibility as administrators is to educate our users in how to use it properley. Defaults are very good and should be conservative but absolutes just piss people off in the long run.......

Des Quinn
  •  
Tr!une

As Pavel said, there is a yes/no dialog. In webmail anyway, Under Settings>Mail there is a "Confirm marking messages as spam" checkbox.
  •  
jledbett

That only allows you to turn confirmation off and on, it still doesn't let you mark more than one at a time.

•  
Lyle M

Everyone has good points on this subject. The potential "corruption" to the spam filter by accidental mass flagging does require serious consideration.

Since every customer has their own circumstances it is best to provide a solution that can cater to the broadest needs. As an easy to implement short term fix, I would suggest adding a preference checkbox in each user's setup window (the "Rights" tab has some space left) to enable multi-spam-flagging for the users that can handle the responsibility. It would also be prudent to have global checkboxes for this option in the domain setup area (so it can be applied to an entire domain) and in the Advanced Options area (for applying pref to all users in all domains). Of course, the checkboxes that are superceeded by an upstream selection should be inactive.

In this scenario, each mail server admin can dole out just enough rope to hang themselves when their users ignore the pop-up warnings (which should also be re-designed). It would be a good idea to have a blurb next to the checkboxes warning admins of the potential problems when multi-spam-flagging is enabled (how about "READ THE MANUAL BEFORE CHECKING THIS BOX").

A longer term solution should be considered as well. Perhaps adding the ability to edit the filter entries will reduce the fear of a filter snafu. The admin can go in and delete the entries from the day the problem began or pick and choose what to delete (if you have the time for such stuff).

Adding a "never mark this sender as spam" button would be a useful feature (could be a per user rule that is automagically added to their filter list). Frequently, that is the only criteria that a user is concerned about when trying to train the system to not mark an item as spam. With this option, the bayes filter is not being modified for a simple "leave this poor sender alone" wish.

So, that's my 2 cents. Thanks for reading.

-Lylehm

[Updated on: Tue, 23 November 2004 22:15]

•  
robertkemp

I agree that something needs to be done with this, and the decision of how this works should be left up to the administrators of the mail system.

Perhaps their should be an administrative setting such as "Number of simultaneous messages that can be marked as spam: x".

Robert
  •  
jshaw541

Pavel,

Can you confirm that clicking the Mark As Spam button in webmail actually adds the message properties to SpamAssassin somehow?

All I really want to know is what it does, if anything, other than moving the message to the Junk Mail folder. I assume it performs other functions, as well. What else goes on when a user clicks this button?

Thanks,
Jacob

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
Previous Topic: What can a moderator do by email?
Next Topic: Webmail - Original Text as Attachment?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 02:54:38 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00447 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.