Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » migration from exchange 5.5 to redhat linux 9
  •  
sproket90

Send a private message to this user
couple of questions.. Does anyone have a howto on this..?
also...

Testing environment NT4 sp4. Exchange 5.5 sp3
KMS 6.03 and connector 6.03 I am going to load 6.04 soon...
Redhat 9

1. The migration of the emails from Exchange to Linux works very well. The email gets where is it supposed to go. It appears that the migration tool creates the needed directories on the Linux box, but not the user accounts. Do I need to create the user account before the migration..?

2. After the migration we will be running a login script to load the connector in the background, but appears the user will have to enter a username and password which I think we can live with. Problem is sometimes the Kerio profile does not get created. I am thinking this might be a permissions issue between the client and the Linux box..?
Anyone else experience this?

Any helpful input on other things to watch out for would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sproket90
  •  
sproket90

check 1 check 2 ... is this thing on..?

:)
  •  
mdhmi

I wouldn't use RH 9 as it is no longer supported by RH. Go with RHE 3. Note that ADS support in 6.0.4 on the Linux (at least RH) platform is badly broken. Supposed to be fixed in 6.0.5.

Cheers,

Mark

•  
johbar

Hey,

I am running RH9 with no problems providing you have a fast enough machine. If you are new to linux then I strongly suggest you stay with the Microsoft Windows(tm) version.

It's not hard to install it on a *nix b0xlet but if something goes wrong and you cant use the Admin Console to log into your KMS, then you going to need the Linux background in order to edit/etc your conf files, see whats up in the /store etc. .

Yes, RH does not support Ver 9 but that doesn't mean you cannot get any support for RH9 >;p There are thousands of communities that would help with any linux queries regardless of the distro.

Regarding the queries that open I am not 2 sure as I haven't dont the Microsoft Windows(tm) migration as I dont trust Microwaft's products. My personal opinion. Good luck with that >;p

Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children
  •  
nickrooster

I just migrated our Exchange 2000 server on Win2k to Fedora 1 w/ KMS. Will information on how that was accomplished help you?

Also, as to your queries:

1) I guess that this is because of NT4 not having Active Directory. All of my users were created at the time of migration with the mig. tool.

2) How many users do you have? If you install KOC on each box, it will keep itself up to date as the server is updated. Or do you have a lot of "floaters" (people who swap between computers). In this case, the login script is probably the best way, but do you have the script create the Kerio profile at login? That's a nice script :). As far as permissions, I am not sure. It depends on what your script is doing.

Thanks,
-Nick
  •  
sproket90

nick,

thanks for your reply, It would greatly help me. Any information you could forward me. It is same scenario I am trying to complete.

1)were they created by the migration tool? I have tried it several times in a test environment and to me it appears that it created the account in Kerio, but not a redhat account. I am not sure if this is causing me problems or not. But the connector gives me an error message that it cannot connect at times. I am not sure if it is a permission issue. Does the user have to have a corresponding Linux account?

2)not much floaters.. but several off site locations. basically don't want to have to drive all over the city to set them up. :)
I am trying to use the script that comes with the migration tool, but again it works at times and not at times. I am having trouble tracking down what might be the issue. Me or the software :) The script just creates the profile for the user so they don't have to mess with setting up Outlook. That is the only thing I am testing now.

Did you keep track of the process you followed during your migration..? and did you use the script that comes with the migration tool?

Thanks for replying and any info you can give me.
steve/sproket90

sproket90<_at_>earthlink.net
  •  
nickrooster

OK. Here is a quick rundown of what I did. I did not write down exactly the pitfalls and hangups, as I experienced none, but basically, I will give some info on our setup and how it went down.

1) Installed Kerio Mailserver on Linux box (FC1 - P4 1GB RAM), set it up with domain, installed license, created a test user and made sure logins worked (After about a month of prior testing). Also intalled the Admin console. (This assumes you have X installed and some form of Window Manager, otherwise you will have to install the admin console on another box.)

2) Went over to the Windows server, installed the Kerio Exchange Migration Tool. This box was running Win2k server w/Exchange 2000 standard. Latest service packs and updates applied. This server was the AD Domain Controller, not sure if that makes a difference.

3) Started the Kerio Migration tool, and it came up with all the email accounts which I had on my Windows box. I checked the ones I wanted to migrate, and waited. For users with more that 3GB of email, I migrated them by themselves. I just wanted to make sure that it would not choke. It didn't, and everyone migrated fine. There were a couple of subfolders under the INBOX on a couple of accounts that had some issues because of mixed mail and contacts, but I copied them over by hand (the Kerio tool tells you which folder had issues) after writing them down, and after the migration.

4) When I did the user migration, the users had an account created by the tool on the Kerio Mailserver using the integrated Kerio accounts.

5) I did not create Linux users for each, and you should not have to either, unless you are doing something fancy, like domain signons with samba or mysql or similar, in which case I wish you luck ;). I would like to use LDAP to have them sign on, and switch off that Win2k box forever! But at the moment, I cannot wrap my brain around OpenLDAP and getting it to work with Kerio, so the accounts are staying the Kerio integrated variety.

6) I went to each box to set up the Kerio connector, added address books, copied over the folders that had issues. I only have about 20 users, and no remote users, so this was not a big deal.

7) The whole migration took about 20 hours (we have a lot of email), but overall very smooth. One of the only hiccups we had was with the folders that did not copy over.

8) The other bump in the migration was our contact lists. We had about 6 malformed lists from when a user exported the lists to "clean them up" and remove duplicate contacts, etc. They came back into the system and had many, many malformed characters. At any rate, Kerio choked on the address lists. It sometimes took upwards of 5 minutes to find a contact. I had to eventually re-write them by hand. But that was completely worth it, as the contacts were back at Exchange speed. Just make sure your contacts don't have any ?(question marks) when there should be a .(period).

9) Made sure to turn off the Exchange service on the Windows box, and updated DNS. Rebooted the Windows server "just in case", and everything has been running pretty smooth ever since.

The migration was accomplished with KMS 6.0.2 and KOC 6.0.2. I later upgraded to 6.0.3 and again to 6.0.4.

I did not use the automated script to set up Outlook, but I wish I had. I just reset everyone's password in AD, then set up the KOC.

I hope this helps you! I wish I had experienced exactly the issue you are with the script, but I opted not to use it. Just be sure to check status of the server when you are getting the connection errors, and be sure not to leave the admin console open for too long, as it used to (6.0.2) crash the mailserver.

Basically, I did not use the script because I wanted to stay in control as much as possible during the migration, as the tool was in beta, and I was quite nervous about it.

Waht exactly is the script trying to accomplish, what are the commands, or what are the errors, when do they happen, etc. Teh devil is in the details, as they say.

Also, if you are thinking of an upgrade to Linux, either go with RHEL 3 or Fedora Core 1. Core 2 and 3 have issues (crashing) with KMS. But that said, you should not have trouble finding updates to RHL 9 with apt-rpm, there are still plenty of repositories updated with new (security and bugfix mostly) packages. Plus, RedHat 9 is really stable.

If you are still having problems with the script or if this did not help you at all, please let me know, and I will do my best :).

Whew! Long post!
Thanks,
-Nick
  •  
sproket90

Nick,

Your post has helped tremendously. If you are ever in Ohio I'll buy you a beer.. make that 6 beers..

From you post I can tell that I am at least heading in the right direction. And can expect more work then I thought. But that always happens.. :)

5. was one of the big things I was looking to get answered. I'm not trying to do a domain sign on to the Linux box, but trying to get the connector installed silently as possible. The site I am working with has around 300 desktops, scattered across the city.

7. is also interesting. The end customer expects to complete in 8 hours. but I am hoping that is just the actual running of the migration tool. But Contacts and folders that did not get transferred over is probably going to happen.

I am also very nervous about 300 users and the amount of time this is estimated to take. Esp. when dealing with MS products and Outlook..not that I hate MS products, they tend not to respond consistently or reliably at times..

Thanks again for the long post, It has really helped me.

Sproket90

•  
nickrooster

>From you post I can tell that I am at least heading in the right >direction. And can expect more work then I thought. But that >always happens.. :)

I am very glad to have helped!

>5. was one of the big things I was looking to get answered. I'm >not trying to do a domain sign on to the Linux box, but trying >to get the connector installed silently as possible. The site I >am working with has around 300 desktops, scattered across the >city.

Ouch :) . That is going to take quite a while. I can see why you want this as automated as possible. How much maildata do you have? For my measley 20 users, we have about 45GB of maildata.

>7. is also interesting. The end customer expects to complete in >8 hours. but I am hoping that is just the actual running of the >migration tool. But Contacts and folders that did not get >transferred over is probably going to happen.

If your load and amount of data are similar, then no way ;). You will need to roll it out over a week or more. Ouch again.

>Esp. when dealing with MS products and Outlook..not that I hate >MS products, they tend not to respond consistently or reliably >at times..

No joke there. That is why I wanted to move from Exchange in the first place. No good explanation of what is really happening, and too vulnerable.

>Your post has helped tremendously. If you are ever in Ohio I'll >buy you a beer.. make that 6 beers..

Sounds good to me!
Previous Topic: email backup scheduler doesn't work properly
Next Topic: CPU Spike on Linux version
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 22:05:42 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00475 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.