Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » How do share your internet connection with other computers?
  •  
Zlatan

Send a private message to this user
Hey, I'd like to know how I share my internet connection on my local computer with other computers on the LAN without using Microsoft XP ICS. I have three computers, one local and two clients. How do I go about sharing the local computers' internet connection with the other two using Kerio WinRoute?

I've always used MS ICS for this so I have no idea whatsoever how to do it in software programs. I've tried doing it in WinRoute but I can't get DHCP to hand out IP addresses and the subnet masks for the remote computers are 255.255.0.0 and the subnet mask for the local computer is 255.255.252.0. I've always had 255.255.255.0 on MS ICS but I don't know if that makes any difference.

Also, the adapter info on the remote computers says "NDIS 5.0 driver" while it is the right name for the local computers' adapter.

This is probably very easy to setup using WinRoute but as I don't have any experience with these kinds of programs I don't know how to do it, so any help would really be appreciated!
  •  
feite

I presume the ip address of your internet adapter is assigned correctly. Rename this adapter to something like 'Internet'. This way you know what that adapter does.

Select the other adapter and rename it to something like 'LAN'. Go to the properties of the LAN adapter and assign a private ip address (like 192.168.1.1 with subnetmask 255.255.255.0 and no default gateway).

Open the administration console and go to the DHCP server. Add a scope:
description: LAN DHCP
first address: 192.168.1.2
last address: 192.168.1.10 (or higher but not higher than 192.168.1.254)
network mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.1

In the administation console go to the DNS forwarder. Enable the DNS forwarder. Select 'Forward DNS queries to the server automatically selected from DNS servers knows to the operation system'

In the administration console go to the traffic rules and start the Wizard...
Follow the wizard to create traffic rules for the firewall.

Go to the client computer and open the properties of the network adapter. Check if not an address is entered manually but that an ip address is assigned automatically.

Try if this works...

Feite
  •  
Zlatan

Thanks for the reply mate, will try it tomorrow.

One more question though, should I enable NAT in the wizard?
  •  
Zlatan

feite wrote on Thu, 09 December 2004 19:38

Select the other adapter and rename it to something like 'LAN'. Go to the properties of the LAN adapter and assign a private ip address (like 192.168.1.1 with subnetmask 255.255.255.0 and no default gateway).

Where do I assign a private IP address to the LAN adapters? I can only change the name of the adapters when I go to their properties. There's nothing else I can to in the properties.

And why does it say "IP address: 169.254.170.79 (DHCP) - Mask: 255.255.0.0" and "IP address: 169.254.9.239 (DHCP) - Mask: 255.255.0.0" on my other NICs? Even though I've done what you told me to do in DCHP Server.

This is what it looks like in cmd /k ipconfig:

Ethernet adapter Local Familj:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : bredbandsbolaget.se
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 83.xxx.xx.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 83.xxx.xx.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.9.239
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.170.79
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

It makes no sense.. why are the IP addresses like that?

[Updated on: Sun, 12 December 2004 14:49]

•  
an2ny79

Property of LAN and property of TCP/IP.
Try using Microsoft "Help and Support" to learn more.

Zlatan wrote:

>feite wrote on Thu, 09 December 2004 19:38
>
>
>>Select the other adapter and rename it to something like 'LAN'. Go to the properties of the LAN adapter and assign a private ip address (like 192.168.1.1 with subnetmask 255.255.255.0 and no default gateway).
>>
>>
>
>
>Where do I assign a private IP address to the LAN adapters? I can only change the name of the adapters when I go to their properties. There's nothing else I can to in the properties.
>
>
>
>

--
<Anthony Ching>
There are 10 types of people in the world...
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Previous Topic: Strange routing problem
Next Topic: Bandwidth control !!!!!!! When !!!!!!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 22:32:38 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00371 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.