Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Serious flaw in v 6.0.9
  •  
aptrsn1

Send a private message to this user
I recently upgrade a site to 6.0.9 and found that the license usage skyrocketed (or so I thought). After checking into actual usage I found that several licenses where not actually being used (i.e. no one was logged in) yet the connection remained on the firewall. Even after having a user reboot there machine, the firewall still would not release the connection!!!!

Is this some kind bug or something???? I would appreciate any feedback since Kerio's support is somewhat slow right now.
  •  
aptrsn1

Turns out I was wrong, this is not a bug, this a revenue generation issue for Kerio. This was the explanation given to me by Kerio Tech support:

Any connection made to the proxy server is registered for 2 HOURS, regardless how long the user was "actually" using the proxy server! If your user connects to the Internet for 5 minutes and then closes their web browser, they will in fact "lock" a license usage for the next two hours. What's worse is that if that same user goes to a different workstation and logs on for a couple of minutes and then leaves, they will have locked up TWO licenses for that 2 hour duration! Basically, Kerio has gone from "per connection" to "per host" licensing in a roundabout way.

While I do not object to this type of software licensing per se, I do object to being misled or uninformed about coding changes from version to version. No where is this listed in their release details. The technician who helped me said something to the effect "Well, the previous version did hold the license a for shorted period of time..." when I pressed him for how long he admitted it may have only been 40 minutes!!! That's huge increase for my enviroment! (personally, I think it was even shorter than that).

Anyway, for those of you who use the 5.x Kerio product in an enterprise enviroment, pay attention to the old saying ... "let the buyer beware..."

[Updated on: Tue, 14 December 2004 23:36]

•  
FRiC

Has this issue ever been resolved or looked at? I just noticed today that the same thing is happening to me, but only on one winroute server (out of two).

When I look at the hosts/users status screen, one winroute server shows only currently active users and some idle users, the other shows all users that have ever been active, with really long idle times.

•  
feite

Is the 'automatic logout' time for those two firewalls the same (users / authentication option)?
  •  
FRiC

Thanks, that was the problem. I never thought to look at the users page cause I'm not using user authentication.
Previous Topic: Help with setup (not working)
Next Topic: News and NNTP
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 04:44:43 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00385 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.