Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Is Kerio WinRoute Firewall what i need?
  •  
elfranger

Send a private message to this user
I am planning to set up a computer as a router/firewall at home. I have a Celeron 400MHz with currently 256MB ram and I have installed Windows 2000 Server.

My goal is to put several network interfaces into this computer so that it may function as a router/switch, can I do that?
I would think I would need to set one card as the WAN interface; can I then use the rest of the interfaces as ports LAN interfaces? Do I need to give each and every LAN interface static IP's, or would Winroute give one static IP to all the LAN interfaces?

If we compare this to a router with a 4 port switch, it has one WAN IP and one LAN IP, would winroute do this for me?

Has any set up something like this before?

Not sure I was able to explain it very good, but if anyone has any tips, I am happy for any help...
  •  
wiper

lo, it sounds like u need winroute yes. It can do al that stuff u want.
Yes u need to set static ip at interface (from OS, why from winroute?) non-public ip's is 4 free Smile

Winroute can NAT,Route,"switch",DNS-distrubute question,prox packet,url-scan,AV-scan,etc
it gives u every thing u mention below (hmm above) and more.

/W

[Updated on: Wed, 05 January 2005 19:33]

•  
elfranger

Than you.
I was just wondering if there were a way that would keep me from having to give each network adapter it's own static IP, like a router normally is...

If I were to not use DHCP, and I connect pc's to three of my network interfaces, I need to remember which IP is given to each of the network interfaces in order to be able to set the correct default gateway on the connecting pc's... In a routerm there is only one default gateway, even though there are several network outlets in it....

Am I making any sense?
Maybe I should install windows server 2003 and bridge all the LAN interfaces?

•  
coco

I am confused as to why you want to add multiple NICs to your server, just for a home network. Why not simply have one NIC (in addition to the server's WAN interface) and connect the LAN NIC and each client to a switch?

All of your clients can then partake in a single subnet, and you can choose whether to allocate them static IPs or dynamic IPs through the server's DHCP server.

Each client would have internet access via the NAT firewall (WinRoute) on the server. If any of the clients are to provide server functionality to the WAN, you can take care of this through WinRoute's port mapping.

Regards,
Steve Moss,
CoCo Systems Ltd.
  •  
doubolplay1

Just so you know in advance KWF does not really support server routing functions , more specifically RRAS/NAT. Therefore, you are faced with a whole bunch of 'nice' little problems on the server routing side which is what you want to do. I am not saying Kerio is a bad firewall, i am just stating a fact.

"Attitude reflects Leadership!"
  •  
sadmax

So, if I understand correctly, you are saying, that you cannot make good network bridge protection with Kerio product?

Smth like that: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884905
Previous Topic: VPN Question
Next Topic: VPN , please need help ......
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 10:25:30 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00425 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.