Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Resolved. See Reply (WAS: "Critical / Down. Please Help!")
  •  
st3phen

Send a private message to this user
Tonight while installing a new router, one of the drives on my server (the one that contains the Mail Store) went offline. The rest of the KMS was still running. It was a few minutes before I could get on the server and reboot it (which would automatically remount the offline volume).

All of our mail is via IMAP. Once the server was rebooted, all of the old email in all of our IMAP folders instantly became empty. New emails show up, but all of the old emails in every users folder (from Entourage's perspective) are gone.

The good news is that all of the actual email files STILL exist in the Mail Store. I suspect that all I need to do is force some sort of index to rebuild and all of the old emails will be restored.

Can any of you tell me how to force this rebuild and what the process is? Thanks so much!

[Updated on: Thu, 13 January 2005 19:57]

•  
sedell

I'm not sure how you'd do it server wide, but I've seen that happen to an individual folder or account. The solution was to rename the index.fld file in that folder. The next time that account/folder is accessed, Kerio will re-index the folder.

•  
jonbrain

I think you could do a find and replace for Index.fld and rename them all index.bad.

Would check this with Kerio first. I usually ring the American support office when I have a problem, there usually very good.
  •  
st3phen

So, here's what happened:

OS X mounts all of it's volumes logically as aliases/symlinks in a hidden folder called /Volumes. When the volume 'Mailstore' went offline last night, KMS recreated the path that it was used to in the /Volumes folder. So, instead of there being a /Volumes/Mailstore symlink, there was now a /Volumes/Mailstore folder -- created by KMS.

When I rebooted the server to cause the offline volume to remount, the automount daemon went to create the new /Volumes/Mailstore symlink, but there was already a /Volumes/Mailstore folder there- the one created by KMS. So the automounter mounted the volume as /Volumes/Mailstore 1.

KMS, in the meantime, was using the mailstore it had created in the directory structure that began with the folder that it had created. Yet, when I looked at the directory via the Finder, I was seeing the /Volumes/Mailstore 1 automount. This is the reason why I saw the directory structure and all of the email files intact.

The solution, provided by Brian <_at_> Kerio support, was to stop KMS, rename the folder that KMS had created, and then rename the /Volumes/Mailstore 1 automount to /Volumes/Mailstore. This restored all the old mail once the KMS was restarted. The next step was to force delivery of any new mails that had accumulated in the KMS-created folder. This was done by traversing to each users INBOX/#msgs/ folder in the created folder and copying them to the root folder of the same user on the automounted mail store. For instance:

Copy the contents of /Volumes/Mailstore_new/Mail/eschools.org/bob/INBOX/#msgs/
to
/Volumes/Mailstore/Mail/eschools.org/bob/

This caused KMS to notice that there were new emails to be delivered into that users inbox, and it also caused the emails to be properly named and indexed into their real INBOX.

In a few days, I will delete completely the /Volumes/Mailstore_new folder.
Previous Topic: Oh no... Cant login to admin console anymore! Help!
Next Topic: Autoreply / Out of Office feature improvements
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 20:46:18 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00442 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.