Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » max. backup size
  •  
Mayk

Send a private message to this user
Hi.

while testing the 6.06 for linux , and dumping some huge mailboxes in KMS for testing its ability of handling large mailboxes (with large i mean boxes exceeding 3 GB), i noticed that when preforming a backup it crashes after exactly 2048 mb.

Now i believe that there is a limitation on the filezise in the linux kernel, i was wondering if someone has a workaround/fix for this ... I don't want to try the large filesystem patch, because i don't know if it's stable.

cheers,

Mayk.
  •  
desquinn

what kernel are you using? and what filesystem?

should not be a problem on 2.4x kernels as I regularly have files greater than 2gb

Des Quinn
  •  
Mayk

indeed desquin..

i've just finishes a manual targz session of the store folder, and the output file is a little over 5 gb.
So i can conclude, that the problem is with kerio, not being able to handle a file over 2048 mb ....

Anyone know of any problems of having your own script to create the backup in a cron job giving you troubles of corrupted files in your backup file ?

•  
digiclone

I am having the same problem with Kerio 6.0.6 on Redhat FC3. Kerio dies at 2gb when doing a backup. Anyone figure out a work around for this issue?
  •  
Mayk

digiclone wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 01:17

I am having the same problem with Kerio 6.0.6 on Redhat FC3. Kerio dies at 2gb when doing a backup. Anyone figure out a work around for this issue?

make a little script, and assign a cronjob..

#!/bin/sh
# full backup script

# Begin backup Kerio mail store
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
DATUM=''
DATUM=`date +%d%b`
echo $DATUM
tar -cvzf kerio-$DATUM.tar.gz kerio

note : datum is dutch for date.. ;-)

•  
digiclone

With the script above though, I would have to stop kerio mailserver, before running the backup script, and then restart it afterwards. Otherwise the indexes could be out of synch in the backup.
  •  
digiclone

I upgraded to KMS 6.0.8 hoping this backup issue would be fixed. Wrong! It still crashes exactly at 2gb. Why is it that we can create a script to do a backup and it works fine, but the built-in Kerio backup always crashes? What a pain! Why haven't they fixed this yet? We have to be able to back it up! Unbelievable! So, now I have a utility to monitor the KMS service and a script to restart it when it crashes, and another script to stop the monitoring service, stop kerio, backup the store, restart kerio, and restart the monitoring service! Why do we keep having to figure out our own workarounds for all the bugs in KMS? At least these 2 particular bugs seem like very big ones! If some of these bugs aren't fixed soon, I am going to have to give up on Kerio and give Microsoft my money. Exchange server is more expensive, but it always works!

[Updated on: Wed, 02 March 2005 15:36]

•  
nina

I have exactly the same issue on a RedHat Enterprise v. 3.0. Currently running version 6.0.7.

•  
digiclone

Wow! Has anyone been able to get a larger than 2gb Kerio backup on Linux without having to write their own scripts to get around the KMS crashing?
  •  
digiclone

I guess there is no fix for this? Apparently Kerio Mailserver is so stable there is no need to back it up? I certainly hope the backup in version 6.1 works past 2gb! I also hope my 6.08 server doesn't take a dump before 6.1 comes out, because I certainly can't restore it since the backup crashes at 2gb.
  •  
geabaldyvx

The 2gig Backup issue is only present on Red hat Installs. It has something to do with the "lib" sets associated with the compression routine Kerio uses. It is a known issue of theirs and doesn't just effect the backup but the archiving feature too. to my knowledge as far as Linux installs go it is only on RH 8,9,E3... this problem isn't present on Fedora Core because it has updated libs comapred to the others.

Now all that said... that's what i was told when I called Kerio about it and they walked me through making usre backup and archive were turned off because my server woul crash every 30min as it was building the archives. I run on RH9... and can confirm it is present in that product...

•  
Mayk

geabaldyvx wrote on Sat, 12 March 2005 16:18

The 2gig Backup issue is only present on Red hat Installs. It has something to do with the "lib" sets associated with the compression routine Kerio uses. It is a known issue of theirs and doesn't just effect the backup but the archiving feature too. to my knowledge as far as Linux installs go it is only on RH 8,9,E3... this problem isn't present on Fedora Core because it has updated libs comapred to the others.

Now all that said... that's what i was told when I called Kerio about it and they walked me through making usre backup and archive were turned off because my server woul crash every 30min as it was building the archives. I run on RH9... and can confirm it is present in that product...

i run mandrake 10.1 , while evaluating.. as i described before, i dumped a few gigs of mail into the KMS for performance testing how it would handle with large mailboxes (over 2 gig/mailbox).
I can confirm the bug being present on mandrake as well.

However, i would like to know if there is corruption present while preforming a backup outside kms. If you use a little script that tars the entire KMS ...

hmm.. i see a little test coming up.. :-)
  •  
digiclone

Thanks for the comments! I am running on Fedora Core 3, with all of the latest updates installed. Therefore, I have no clue what distribution or version of Linux Kerio's backup does work with? Anyone, running on a distribution that actually works with Kerio backup? Please let us know. Thanks. Also, if it is just a certain library version that we need why can't we determine which ones and get them installed on our servers?
  •  
digiclone

Ok, so far we have the following operating systems that have the KMS 2gb backup bug:

RedHat Enterprise v. 3.0
RedHat Fedora Core 3
Mandrake 10.1
RedHat 9

Does anyone actually have any version of Linux where the KMS backup works without crashing over 2gb?
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Sorry for late response..
We are aware of this bug, it will be solved in nearest release.
Previous Topic: Yahoo mail flagged as Spam
Next Topic: Kerio as default Mail (Client)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 13:37:37 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00514 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.