Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Transferring Emails from Exchange to Kerio thru IMAP
  •  
dermot

Send a private message to this user
Hi

Hoping someone can help. I'm hoping to ditch Exchange and replace it with Kerio. As we're running Exchange 5.0 I can only (as far as I know) transfer users emails through setting up dual imap connections in Outlook and moving them. That bit works fine. However HTML emails turn into text emails when viewed through Kerio Webmail (after being moved into Kerio) although the emails display properly when viewed in Outlook (using the Kerio backend).

I've been onto tech support in the UK who, although were helpful and that makes a change from MS, were mystified - reckon it's got to do with something Outlook does when copying over. Any ideas? Users will go a bit nuts if they can't view html and we're hoping to ditch Outlook and just use Webmail.

Thanks
  •  
Mayk

dermot wrote on Tue, 08 February 2005 21:23

Hi

Hoping someone can help. I'm hoping to ditch Exchange and replace it with Kerio. As we're running Exchange 5.0 I can only (as far as I know) transfer users emails through setting up dual imap connections in Outlook and moving them. That bit works fine. However HTML emails turn into text emails when viewed through Kerio Webmail (after being moved into Kerio) although the emails display properly when viewed in Outlook (using the Kerio backend).

I've been onto tech support in the UK who, although were helpful and that makes a change from MS, were mystified - reckon it's got to do with something Outlook does when copying over. Any ideas? Users will go a bit nuts if they can't view html and we're hoping to ditch Outlook and just use Webmail.

Thanks

I suggest to hold your breath till 6.1 .. In the wishlist topic kerio confirms that there will be html support in the webmail.. i think.. i hope.. or was i just dreaming ...

•  
Petr Dousa (Kerio)

Yes, webmail 6.1 will contain HTML editor, so you'll be able to send HTML emails.

However viewing HTML emails works already since 6.0, they are only changed to plain text when you reply/forward/edit them, as there's no HTML editor in mail composer.

Petr Dousa
user experience designer, Kerio
  •  
rhunter

We've run into the same problem moving from Exchange 2000 to KMS6. It's an Outlook problem that apparently happens when the mail is exported to a pst. It also occurs if you are connected to the Exchange server via Outlooks Exchange connector and copy the emails over. All attachments were turned into winmail.dat files when viewed with Webmail, but Outlook could read them.

Try setting up an Imap account for KMS and one for Exchange in Outlook and then COPY the emails, dont export and import them. The emails were viewable for us in Webmail after that. It's an incredible nuisance, especially if the users have directory structures they save their mail to.
  •  
Mayk

rhunter wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 18:17

We've run into the same problem moving from Exchange 2000 to KMS6. It's an Outlook problem that apparently happens when the mail is exported to a pst. It also occurs if you are connected to the Exchange server via Outlooks Exchange connector and copy the emails over. All attachments were turned into winmail.dat files when viewed with Webmail, but Outlook could read them.

Try setting up an Imap account for KMS and one for Exchange in Outlook and then COPY the emails, dont export and import them. The emails were viewable for us in Webmail after that. It's an incredible nuisance, especially if the users have directory structures they save their mail to.

i can't exectly follow.. I'm testing KMS too, and have tried KMS 6.0 / 6.01 / 6.03 and now 6.06 . With all the versions (upgrades and freshisntalls later) , i've used PST file to populate the store. I created a few users on KMS, made a copy of their box on the exchange into a PST, en kicked it into the KMS store trough the KOC , works like a charm..

•  
rhunter

I've done the same thing moving emails into KMS, however, it appears that Outlook does something to the emails when it transfers them. When viewed with the Webmail client, the formatting is lost and attachments are seen as winmail.dat. Outlook views the same emails fine through either KOC or IMAP.

Copying from Exchange to KMS via IMAP on both seems to prevent it.

Maybe it's just us...

•  
Mayk

verry weird..

so when you populate with the exchange open, and make a copy LIVE out the exchange to the KMS store , you see it ok in outlook viewing the KMS mailbox, and when you enter that same mailbox trough KMS webmail you see a blanc mail with an attachemtn winmail.dat if there's a attachement..

correct ?

does the same happen when making a copy of the mail to a .PST , and then using a clean outlook (profile) with the KOC, opening the KMS mailbox, then opening the pst and move the mail into the KMS ?

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Well, this is an Outlook specific issue. More information abou winmail.dat issue can be found at http://support.kerio.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=q uestiondetails&_i=156
  •  
Mayk

LOOOL

i've tested some more over the weekend, and dumped about 3,5 GB (11.000) emails in 1 KMS box. Now i've noticed indeed, that someone that was previously using OE that those mails contained a winmail.dat , and when he switched mailclient, everything is ok..

funny.. :-)
  •  
Mayk

hhmmm...

Does anyone have a "fix" for this ? I mean, the KMS webmail rules.. But if i want to implement it, i have to be able to offer my users to open their attachements.

If i do a quick inventory, i think when importing all the archives, there wil be around 25 to 30 GB of data (more or less), and mailboxes containing 10.000 items with not even an eye blink.
Most if it containing atachemnts, mostly wordfile, pictures en some pps file.
The idea is to have all the archives online in the new mailserver, not offline like now, and users having to connect to the pst.

If all the archives could be available in the public folders, so it's accessible trough the web, would be perfect.
It IS possible now, only that i don't see the attachemtns, and i'm only able to open the attachement when using ourlook to connect to he KMS.

Any thoughts ?

/end of ranting

Previous Topic: Shared folders between domains
Next Topic: does kerio mail server works unders suse 64 bits(em64t)?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 16:53:35 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00508 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.