Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » DHCP renewal problems
  •  
gabrie

Send a private message to this user
Hi

My ISP unfortunately thinks of a fixed IP address as an DHCP lease based on my MAC address. So the WAN interface has to renew its lease every 2h.

I'm constantly having problems renewing the IP. When the firewall (w2k) boots it gets the IP from the ISP without problem. But then after 1 hour (half lease time) the eventlog starts giving me:

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00010xxxxx. The following error occured:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

And about 1 hour later (end of lease time) the connection drops. When I open a rdp session to the firewall, go to the command prompt and do a ipconfig /renew, it gets the ip adress again. What is going on here????

Do I need a special rule that would allow dhcp? Why does ipconfig /renew work without that rule?

Gabrie
  •  
feite

Add the following rule:

name: ISP DHCP
source: firewall
dest: dhcp server of ISP
service: DHCP
action: allow

Because the ip address is linked to your MAC you could try to enter the ip address as a fixes address. No DHCP problems...
  •  
gabrie

Hi

I thought of entering a fixed IP (which is the same as the one from the ISP DHCP), but was affraid that they could change things without letting us know.

But I'm gonna try the rule you gave me.

Thanks
Gabrie
Previous Topic: FTP problem on KWF machine
Next Topic: Proxy server doesn't support FTP
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 01:38:54 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00413 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.