Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » About Received timestamp in Outlook
  •  
perbauer

Send a private message to this user
I sent a mail to myself from Webmail while Outlook was closed. The Time in the message was 13:05. I then waited a while before I opened Outlook and downloaded (POP3) the messages. When the message arrived in Outlooks Inbox I get the Received time 13:13. Looking at the source of the message in Outlook still says Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:05:09 +0100. I use Swedish Outlook 2003 with sp1.
So has anyone else noticed that Outlook sometimes sets the Received time to the time of the POP3 download and not to the timestamp in the message?
Might it be that Outlook searches for a second timestamp, the timestamp of the receiving server and when it can’t find any, because the message is “internal” and the sending and receiving server is the same, it instead sets the download time to received time?

Is this way maybe the correct way? Can someone perhaps try this using some other external mail client?
  •  
Lyle M

I believe the behavior you are seeing is normal. The received column is supposed to be the time/date at which you received the message into your client application.

Although, I don't know the exact name of it in Outlook, Entourage and Kerio WebMail have another column you can activate called SENT. This will use the date from the mail header - this is the date/time of the sending computer the moment the message was submitted via SMTP.

Sadly, not all systems (like Kerio's help system) add the DATE: header. Most mail clients will use the received date if the DATE: header is not present. Kerio WebMail will actually display the current date/time, forever updating with the flow of our 4th dimension. Just a little caveat before you jump into using the SENT column.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Lyle Millander
  •  
perbauer

Well, I beg to differ. The received column is not_ supposed to be the time/date at which a message gets into a client application. The received column is the time/date at which a message arrives to a mail server.

When I mentioned “timestamp of the receiving server” I was talking about the text rows in the message header “Received:”. As you might know every server the message passes sets a timestamp that starts with Received: and I meant that since the Webmail message is only internal, KMS doesn’t set the Received:-timestamp.
And since Outlook looks for the Received:-timestamp to set the correct received time in the Inbox, if the message doesn’t have the Received:-timestamp Outlook set the time to the time of the POP3 download.

Does that sound about right?
  •  
Lyle M

Beg all you like and be different. :-)

If your mail client is displaying your mail as it exists on the server, as with IMAP, KOC, and WebMail, then yes, the received column will reflect the time at which the server received the message (as indicated by the Received: header).

With POP3, it all depends on the client. Even other Microsoft clients behave differently than Outlook. I apologize, I should have confined my observations only to Outlook and its interaction with KMS and KMW Webmail.

So, I set up Outlook 2003 to grab mail via POP3 from my Kerio Server (currently running 6.0.6) on Mac OS X Server 10.3.8. The POP3 downloads correctly indicated the contents of the final (chronologically) Received: header. This was also the case with internal only e-mail (that is, internal e-mail sent with a mail client).

Then I looked at internal e-mail that was sent by Kerio WebMail. Wow, no Received: header at all. Is this an oversight, a deliberate omission, or a technological hurdle? There is no logical reason I can think of to leave out the Received: header because of the very problem you are experiencing. The inbox message doesn't just live in webmail on the server; it also may be accessed by any number of the user's mail clients via a veriety of protocols. Therefore, it has to comply with all standards.

For chuckles I looked at an early version of 6.1 and it also does not include the Received: header when sending internally via webmail. Sounds like an item worthy of an e-mail to support<_at_>kerio.com.
  •  
bperkins

lylehm wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 11:11

For chuckles I looked at an early version of 6.1

6.1?? How did you get a copy of 6.1? I would like a copy ;-)

BP
Previous Topic: Antivirus Scanning Options
Next Topic: IM in future release?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 16:43:25 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00358 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.