Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Frequent problem for pop users
  •  
itwrx

Send a private message to this user
Hi there. I am running into the following issue.

Users from the remote sites in China are complaining that their POP connections are being terminated frequently. This usually happens after a weekend when several emails have accumulated on the server. Upon investigation I see the following errors in the admin console logs:

[22/Feb/2005 18:50:51] POP3 server connection broken (user xxx<_at_>xxx.com from 202.109.116.189): (32) Broken pipe
[22/Feb/2005 18:50:52] POP3 server connection broken (user xxx<_at_>xxx.com from 202.109.116.189): (32) Broken pipe
[22/Feb/2005 18:52:43] POP3 server connection broken (user xxx<_at_>xxx.com from 202.109.116.236): (32) Broken pipe
[22/Feb/2005 18:52:46] POP3 server connection broken (user xxx<_at_>xxx.com from 202.109.116.236): (32) Broken pipe
[22/Feb/2005 18:55:08] POP3 server connection broken (user xxx<_at_>xxx.com from 202.109.116.189): (32) Broken pipe

Server setup:
Running KMS 6.0.6
Server OS: Redhat Linux 9.0 -/ updated
2.8 ghz
512 mb of ram
Network setup:
A linksys firewall provides the NAT translation between public and private IP addresses.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ITWRX
  •  
itwrx

Bump aroo... I know others have had this problem. They didn't receive replies either.. Any ideas??
  •  
seali

I too have thousands of entries like this in my log file.
  •  
Mayk

seali wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 15:53

I too have thousands of entries like this in my log file.

uhu

me 2.. in my eval setup, hundreds of them...

•  
itwrx

Bump.... Perhaps someone from Kerio might have some feedback for this one?
  •  
reprieve

Some thoughts:

(32) Broken Pipe ....

[1] may indicate bandwidth overload possibly caused by P2P file sharing / Windows Update (or other) simultaneous downloads / uploads >>> in other words, PC CPU resources not available on the end user's PC.

[2] or, other software program conflict on the end user's PC >>> Just had a situation where apparently our end user was trying to receive FAX (at least, it seems FAX had priority) and this interefered with POP3. Found 11+ MB message in end user MBX from someone who'd sent eMail w/subject line "couldn't seem to fax you". Moved 11MB into subfolder and called (dial-up) end user.

Will come back with more info if I can confirm the #2 scenario above.

•  
reprieve

Found out (dial-up) end user has Cydoor and no anti-virus. Wouldn't be surprised to find end-user has multiple spyware / trojans on PC. End-user reports IE browser was hanging, PC was freezing, end user was manually turning off PC in frustration (this was showing on kerio syslog as "broken pipe").

My responses probably not much help with first post (re: China) ... but could explain some of the "broken pipe" activity others have seen.

•  
jmartins

Hi folks!

Recently I had a lot of similar messages with my KMS 6 (and the annoying complains from almost all the users, of course):
"POP3 server connection broken (user from 10.0.0.12): (0) La operación se ha completado correctamente."

After some minutes of "investigation", founded at the firewall logs (the KWF 6 works really fine!) and at the real-time traffic monitoring a couple of PC's with multiple outbound suspicious connections pushing the Internet bandwith to the limit: the problem dissapeared after implementing rules at the firewall to block that traffic for those IP's!

Surely, those PC's have a trojan or something like that. That's my suggestion: take a look at the traffic between the KMS and the local network.

Greetings,

Juan Carlos.

•  
itwrx

For me this is happening for External POP users only. Internal LAN users are not having any problems.

Cheers
Previous Topic: 5.7.10 to 6.0.10 upgrade
Next Topic: Export Mail,Contacts,Calendar to another User
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 25 02:52:51 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00430 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.