Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Day 2... The good and the bad
  •  
Soup

Send a private message to this user
I migrated our company from an ageing MS Small biz server running exchange to an Apple xserve based solution using Kerio Mail recently. We are a small interactive media design (35 staff) with a mixture of mac and pc users. We decided to go with Kerio Mail as it offered similar functionality to exchange but would run on the apple platform we wanted to base our server solution on.
We are now on the second day of using Kerio (6.07) and I just thought it might be useful to post my experiences so far for anyone considering the same move.

Here are some of the points (good and bad) that I'm noticing, maybe some are my own fault, but none the less this may help others not to make my mistakes :)

Both the server and the admin tool were a breeze to install and configure - very impressed with that. Why though isn't there a stand alone mac admin tool? Luckily I have a PC laptop too as the servers are headless and can only be configured remotely.
I manually created local accounts for all the users in the admin utility, and set them to authenticate to Open Directory. I didn't want to use the Od Extension etc as I want to use the kerio LDAP database for adressing from the clients.

I then discovered the Migration tool... D'oh! I probably could have let it create the users for me but anyway, it still turned out to be very useful. The migration tool successfully moved tasks, mail, contacts etc from the windows based machine to the Xserve and simply populated the accounts I had already created. It did fail to do more than one account if I checked a few boxes, but it still saved me a lot of work doing the process on the client.
There was one thing however that was slightly annoying, any internal email stored in users mailboxes came through as being sent from user<_at_>unspecified-domain which caused all the users a few problems.

The mail server itself seems to work really well, I do miss some of the features that exchange (with gfi mail essentials) offered such as rejecting external mail to groups and not including the footer on internal mails but these are small things. I really like the anti-harvest attack option as this stops thousands of unwanted spams from our domain every day.

The Outlook Connector seems really flakey to me, we have some people using Outlook 2000 that have messages stuck in their outboxes that cannot send them unless they restart outlook. I'm also getting lots of complaints from Outlook 2003 users who get an alert that new mail has arrived but cannot view it unless they resort their mail list or restart Outlook.
I'm very tempted to just switch everyone to IMAP as that way at least things will be more stable for them, if a bit less full featured. It does seem a shame to do this though as we could have just used apple mail for IMAP and saved some cash.

One thing I definately don't like about the KOC is that I have to go round and install the thing whenever an update is released. I notice v6.08 was released today, but I just can't afford to spend a whole day going round installing it just two days after the last time, I'm only a part time IT guy, I have a motion graphics department to manage too. I know it can be left to the client users to install the KOC, but our users do not have the admin rights needed to install it.

Around a third of our users are mac users, and kerio mail performs great for them (using IMAP) - thank goodness for the mac users, at least thay are not complaining to me along with all the outlook users :)

I'm hoping v6.1 will save the day with its offline mode and the ability to allow macs to use collaboration tools, if not I think I will find it hard to justify the move away from exchange which although complex and expensivw did perform flawlessly for all our users for the four years we used it for.

Hope somebody finds this usefull,

Paul.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 February 2005 01:35]

3 x Apple Xserve G5 DP2.3
1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

Soup wrote on Fri, 25 February 2005 01:10

One thing I definately don't like about the KOC is that I have to go round and install the thing whenever an update is released. I notice v6.08 was released today, but I just can't afford to spend a whole day going round installing it just two days after the last time, I'm only a part time IT guy, I have a motion graphics department to manage too. I know it can be left to the client users to install the KOC, but our users do not have the admin rights needed to install it.

When you have the webmail on port 80
or set the port to the right one in KOC (on the client's)
KOC will be automaticaly updated, saves you some time.
  •  
Soup

Really?

If that's the case then it will certainly be good. When is it pushed out to the clients... during the server upgrade?

paul.

1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
Lyle M

Quote:

Why though isn't there a stand alone mac admin tool?

The Mac OS X admin tool is included in the server installer. Just choose a custom install and deselect the server checkbox.

Cheers,
Lyle Millander
  •  
peterj

The new KOC is not pushed out to clients.

When you open outlook with an old version of the connector it will be updated (subject to having webmail on tcp/80)

You should get a message saying updating.....

(Check Help-About Kerio Connector, maybe it has happened without you noticing?)

•  
Soup

Thanks for all the tips guys - it's very much appreciated.

I really do think that a lot of the problems we are having are teething problems, mind you that seems to be true for most of our new setup - I've spent the last 12 hours on and off the phone to apple trying to restore a messed up Xserve. 10pm now and a reinstal was the only thing that would fis it in the end :(

Back to the grindstone :)

Paul.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 February 2005 23:05]

1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
Previous Topic: Corrupt PPT files
Next Topic: SHA
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 18:01:22 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00408 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.