Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » DON'T WORRY - IT WILL ALL BE OK IN 6.1
  •  
peterj

Send a private message to this user

Does anyone else feel like the whole V6.1 panacea is never going to appear.

Today the reseller update informs us that 6.1 has been delayed officially. (No time scale mentioned) This is as opposed to the last 4months of unofficial delays.

Myself and my customers were told that 6.1 (or at least offline caching) would be available before Christmas 2004.

We have now had 9months of unstable 6.0.x versions & frankly I would like my subscription money back - particularly as I will need it now we are getting another price increase.

OK that's my whinging over. PLEASE can we have a FIRM release date to avoid repeated embarrassment/disappointment.

If only I hadn't smashed my Exchange 2003 discs!!!
  •  
sedell

I just got this when I asked support in an ongoing open ticket...

"6.1 has been delayed. Word now is 2nd quarter 2005."

•  
peterj

Why do I suspect that that means 30th June 2005???
  •  
sedell

At this rate, it very well could. Wouldn't surprise me if they're panicked trying to get out the ongoing bugs from the 6.0.x. I could only imagine what the reaction would be if 6.1 came out with the same bugs still present.

•  
jledbett

Did anyone get announcement about Exchange4Linux 3.0 Their feature set looks very impressive. The already have offline caching!

offline personal folders
double attachments no longer needed
connect over HTTPS through firewalls
very easy to install for 2000, XP and 2003 (the same setup for all versions)
future connector updates can be done centralized
mail supports all formats (HTML, RTF, TXT) in all Outlooks
local rules, categories and forms are fully supported
Palm, PocketPC and Blackberry PDAs can sync with your personal folder.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 21:23]

•  
jshaw541

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and I respect yours, even if they defer.

Personally, I'm glad they're delaying it. I really, really hope that 6.1 will be as polished as the 5.7.x series. My users and my opinions about 6.0 were quite lukewarm. I hope not to see that again.

But that's just my opinion :)

I know a lot of you out there are struggling with the Outlook functionality and other specific issues. Luckily, I'm not bothered by many of them.

A solid, pleasing 6.1 release would make my quarter :)

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
peterj

I think that the problem is that the time Kerio spend in-house testing it doesn't seem to mitigate against the bugs.

I would much prefer a pre-release (BETA) be available so that long-term users are more connected with the troubleshooting process.

At the moment we just get one buggy release after another and whether 6.1 arrives in April or June I suspect there will be little difference in it's stability.

(Particularly after some of the fundamental bugs that have affected Outlook 2000 using KOC etc.)
  •  
Mayk

don't know what to think.

i think kms is a wonderfull product, and i think the programmers are doing the best of producing a wonderfull 6.1 release. Since i work in a softwre development company, i know from first hand, that it takes time to devellop something good. Sometimes you run into bugs, you just CAN'T explain.. you spent hours, days sometimes weeks chasing 1 bug. (but a little feedback would be cool pavel ;-) )

on the other hand, i agree it's dissapointing to see a lot of buggy releases. For me the most irritating ones are the calander isseu and de KOC instability.

I'm done for now evaluating KMS, and come to the conclusion, that it's not the right moment to purchase KMS now. It's the best product i've seen till now, but i will look into some others as well. BUT, i think it wil be worth it to wait untill 6.1 comes out.

I've tested the versions from 6.2 and up (still need to check the 6.08 though), with all sorts of config setups. Great product, but needs juuust that last push in the back.

•  
cying

I too work in Software development so am not surprised by the frustrating slippage of 6.1. I am more concerned about who is in charge of feature sets of new versions of the product. Normally, all the software companies I have been involved with use users for input and prioritization of development efforts. Kerio seems not to care. In this way, Kerio is very much like another software company based in Redmond WA.

For example, most of us here want to get creative with catching spam and have tried to set up spam trapping email accounts that are bogus. It would be nice if the admin can log into this account and "select all" and send them all to "Spam" to train the SpamAssassin filters. Or even to "delete all". For some reason, some programmer in Prague (Redmond for us) decided it is a "security risk" and will not allow feature that has been in Hotmail from day 1. Instead, I have to have a unix guy to do it with CommandLine input once a month! Hate it.

It is signs like this that make me not expect much from Kerio no matter what they name this next "fix-all" release. It is like not expecting that you will be able to boot off of a firewire drive in the next relase of Windows. Because the same programmer is still running the show there who thinks C: is just fine to boot off of since day 1.

Keep the pressure on and the only thing that will make Kerio change is competition. Until then, it is still the best and easiest Mail server to admin for TheRestOfUs. (Non Outlook, plain-POP and Webmail users). Wish they will think Different in Prague.

Charles Ying
Previous Topic: Kerio MailServer 6.0.8
Next Topic: Certificates
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 13:01:15 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00433 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.