Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » How to setup PPPoE
  •  
Arch Stanton

Send a private message to this user
I can connect to the internet fine. But, when I enable KWF I can't access the internet. I used the wizard to set it up. I have two NIC's, one for WAN and one for LAN.

Can someone please give me step-by-step instructions on how to setup the NIC's and KWF?

Thanks
  •  
pweasel

Which OS?

-= It's not moving anymore, Sir! =-
  •  
neo3ar

I'm having the same problem using a pppoe conection in windows XP. Does the KFW really support pppoe conections?.

The KFW Pc have the following configuration

PPPOE connection to internet
Internet NIC 192.168.1.10 (provided by the ISP)
Lan NIC 10.0.0.1
Basic rules created with KFW

Any help will be very appreciated!

Thanks
  •  
sproket90

yes Kerio supports PPOE. I just completed a DSL/Kerio setup.

I followed these instructions sent to me by a forum user:

you create the ppoe connection using the driver supplied by
microsoft(no need to install rasPPPoE or any other dsl dialer)

then in kerio, go to :interfaces dialup : select your dsl connection you created before put 'persistent' in the 'dialing settings' tab as if it were a modem and the user and pass of the dsl connection

there you go Smile
the default installation of kerio usually takes dialup into account when creating the traffic rules, so you won't need to do anything fancy there.

Only thing i had to watch for was the outgoing nat rules.

Smile
  •  
neo3ar

Thanks for the Tip Thumbs Up , Actually I have to install the KWF V4 instead the V6 because this problem.

Now with V4 I'm having some problems with MSN messenger in the workstations....but this is another history! isn't it? Rolling Eyes

Cheers!
NEO
  •  
sproket90

what problem did you have with v6 using PPOE?

I have 2 networks running this way without problem. But you have to watch the translation part of the rules... make sure it has proper adapter.

Also, It looks like you are double-natting which sometimes causes problems. I had westell dsl modem, that let me move PPOE from Modem to the Firewall. This gives the firewall an internet IP address on the external nic, instead of 192.168.1.10.
  •  
neo3ar

The problem I had, is that after install KFW V6 (fresh installation)I don't have internet access even from the FW as well from the WS pcs.

I tried with NAT into the PPOE adapter and External NIC (just to try if problem was there) but had same results. Also I tested basic rules created with the KFW wizard and giving access to all services too. So, in fact I'm doing something wrong!.

For all these reason I decided to install the previous V4. After read your messages, I'll try again with version 6....some day I'll make it work! .....I hope!

I have on the external NIC a different subnet that the LAN Nic, according your message, I should put in the External NIC the same subnet as the LAN? (10.0.0.x instead 192.168.1.10?) the 192.x.x.x is the one that ISP gave me to configure the NIC.

Thanks!
  •  
sproket90

no don't put the internal nic in the same subnet as the lan. Then nothing will route. Basic TCP/IP see http://www.ipprimer.com/addressing.cfm

I am saying that 192.168.1.x network is considered a private ip address http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFC_1918

This means your dsl modem has an Internet IP address and is assigning 192.168.1.10 to your external nic of your firewall. It can be done this way but it is considered double natting. This complicates things a little.
http://text.dslreports.com/faq/9402

I like to have an internet address on the external nic of the firewall. something like 68.23.92.2

i would suggest reading thru the above links and it will give you a better understanding of the setup.
In my dsl modem I have a setup that allows moving the PPOE username and password from the modem to the firewall. after that I created a ppoe adapter on the firewall. the ppoe adaptor has your username and password for the dsl connection. Then in kerio create a ppoe interface pointing to the ppoe adaptor in the OS.
Then creating the rules on kerio made sure the translation was set to the ppoe interface in kerio.

Smile
  •  
neo3ar

Thanks for the great help and tips!...I'll try again a fresh installation following this guide....and see what happens!

Very Happy
Previous Topic: System requirements
Next Topic: HTTP Policy/Rules Not Working?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:55:40 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00501 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.