Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Users losing all email
  •  
Soup

Send a private message to this user
I've been running Kerio mailserver (6.08) on an apple server since the 22nd March. Before putting the server into operation all users emails were exported from our exchange server using the Kerio Migration Wizard.

Apart from a few problems which seem to effect most kerio users (emails stuck in outbox etc) it has been running fine. However on Friday one of our users lost all the email he had received since the server was started on the 22nd March. The email that was exported from exchange was still available but everying that he had recieved in the last three weeks was gone.

Not being sure if this was user error, I didn't worry too much at that point as the user said he wasn't that bothered about the email he'd lost and that he may have deleted them by accident, however today it has happened to another user on our network - to make things worse he's a director of the company!

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening? Both the users it has effected so far were using IMAP clients - one was using thunderbird on a pc and the other mail (apple) on a mac.

I'd really appreciate any input.

many thanks

paul.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 March 2005 16:06]

3 x Apple Xserve G5 DP2.3
1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
Soup

Looking back over the logs - there is one similarity between both days when these users reported the email loss - a reboot of the server.

I rebooted the server once on friday because I needed to work on a ups, and once earlier today for the same reason. Could rebooting cause this loss of email? I sincerely hope not as I'm sure I might have to reboot it again in the coming years.

Other than the reboots I can see nothing strange in the kerio logs or server logs.

Paul.

1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
sonofcolin

Go into the affected users mail folder (/usr/local/mailserver/store/domain/usr/) and look at the number of messages in folder compared with what shows in the email client. I bet the messages are on the server, but the index file is corrupt.

If this is the case, then delete the index file for the mail users folder that is affected (if it's inbox foe example delete this).

Make sure KMS is NOT running when you do this! When you restart KMS a new index file will be created and all of the messages should show up again.
  •  
Soup

Thanks, your right! Kerio UK support advised me to do just that half an hour ago and it did indeed fix the problem.

I just need to not shut the server down again - which may prove tricky, but at least I know how to fix it now.

Thanks again for you help.

Paul.

1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
sonofcolin

I'm using os x as well and haven't seen this problem. To be safe, if you are running software update, shutdown KMS first.

Glad you got it sorted.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 March 2005 18:02]

•  
Soup

I have a planned shutdown on Wednesday to finish the setup of our UPS management system, so I'll report back if I see the same thing again.

I'll try closing down kerio using the monitor app next time - maybe that will help.

I just have to say a big thanks to Graham at Kerio UK Support, who responded to my email in good time and was very helpful on the phone too.

Paul.

1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
Soup

Double post.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 March 2005 22:52]

•  
KellyMc

I've seen this many times as well on OS X after restarting the server to correct an unrelated problem.

One other note, I don't shut down KMS when deleting the index file, but the user must shut down his or her mail client before you do it.
  •  
Soup

I had to do another restart tonight due to a OD replica error (who's idea was it to buy macs), so I thought I'd try stopping the mail service before doing so. The only problem is that logged in as a non-root user the mail service just seems to start itself up again! I click stop and it says "stopped" then a few moments later it says "running" :)

The two users who were effected earlier seem to be okay this time though, but I guess I won't know if it's happened to anybody else until they all start working tomorrow.

Paul.

1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
Previous Topic: Outlook - Find
Next Topic: Anybody seen KMS 6.1 at CEBIT?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 19:39:02 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00433 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.