Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Server Platform Preferences
  •  
allen

Send a private message to this user
We're currently running KMS 6.08 on a Windows 2003 server...and it's as slow as a bloody dog. At times it's unbearable watching that hourglass spin for minutes before our folders begin to draw in one.......at.......a.......time.

Does anyone know if it makes a difference in speed to run KMS from an Apple server? I'm just about ready to try anything at this point.

•  
peterj

webmail is crap whatever the server o/s
  •  
Soup

I suppose it depends on the amount of users / network specs etc. We are only around 35 users running 6.08 on a Dual 2.3 G5 and it flies - even with the web interface.

I would imagine the bottleneck will be network speeds rather than server performance though as the cpu's in our server barely reach 5% most of the time. I'm running two 24 port 1Gb Netgear switches linked via fibre, our users are 75% pc's and 25% macs.

Most of the outlook users haven't noticed any speed change from our previous Exchange 2000 server (ran on a win 2000 server) but the IMAP users have noticed a massive speed increase with the new apple server. Our old server used to do everything though, from file sharing through to email, whereas now we use an xserve for email alone.

Paul.

3 x Apple Xserve G5 DP2.3
1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
geabaldyvx

I have heard Webmail is crap so much it isn't funny.. what about webmail brings upon this hatred. I have over 8k in messages and 1.2gigs of email.. Webmail works faster for me than a client... Granted, I can't do return recpiets which is a nice thing for me.. but overall I don't think Webmail is bad at all. It could be worse.. you could be using MAIL at a command prompt instead.. try sifting through 8k of messages with that...

As for Server Platform, we have about 100 users running on a 2.4ghz P4, 1gig of RAM and 400gigs of RAID'd disk space. The only time I notice a tick anywhere in the system was the Archiving glitch that shows up in some ditro's of Linux. Nothing too bad IMO.. just annoying.. I just do backup manually or more accurately through a CRON job instead. I imagine a Xserve would run this stuff like a top.. but seeing as a shoestring budget is about 12 strands of string more than mine... Off the shelf Hardware it is..

•  
sonofcolin

We used to run KMS on a G5 1.6 with 2GB of RAM, with 160GB RAID, but for 20 users this was overkill!

We now use a headless Macmini 1.42 with 1 GB of RAM. Works like a charm. I rarely see cpu over 10% and memory never gets anywhere near its limit even during archiving. We archive to an external FW drive.

Webmail works just fine. We have no windoze users, so I can't comment on Outlook issues and we don't use any of the calendar options either! For us, KMS works very well.
  •  
j.turley

We run KMS on a headless 400MHz PowerMac G4 with 1GB of RAM and a 250GB ATA100 drive.

It has run flawlessly for the past 6 months adn even on an old G4 i rarely see the CPU hit go over 50%.

Disk throughput and network speed appear to be the biggest factors in getting the best result from KMS.

Jason...
Previous Topic: Copy older *.eml to a new account
Next Topic: Passwords
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 19:43:31 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00421 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.