Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio License allow MX Backup?
  •  
DuckFan

Send a private message to this user
I am just curious if anyone knows if the Kerio license allows the use of a second Kerio server to serve only as an MX Backup (under the same license)?

I know other email servers allow an additional backup-only server under their licenses, but couldn't find it in Kerio's license agreement. All I can find is a reference to a backup "copy" of the software, which I assume refers to keeping a backup copy on CD.

I have a MX backup server using SME Server, but I am trying to simplify my life now. I REALLY need to limit the number of OSes and Programs as the complexity of both is growing faster than my brain can keep up.

Due to hardware issues, I currently need to rebuild a backup server and while SME is fairly easy, I would much prefer having the servers using familiar commands and settings by using Kerio.

I did a search and was surprised to see very few topics about MX Backup.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 March 2005 00:23]

•  
DuckFan

I just reread my question, and it came out different than I intended. I wasn't asking if I can use a backup mail server with Kerio. I edited my original question.

I intended to ask if we are allowed to operate a SECOND instance of Kerio (functioning as a MX backup server) under the same license...ie without having to buy a second license.

I hope that is clearer.
  •  
desquinn

me personally to try and achieve your aims, I would run http://www.clarkconnect.org/index.php Home edition and run kerio on top of it on one box and then run the inbuilt postfix on the other as a backup mx.

so apart from the intial backupmx config then your admin profile would be the same

I know its not what you were looking for but it might be worht considering :)

Des Quinn
  •  
DuckFan

desquinn wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 02:29

me personally to try and achieve your aims, I would run http://www.clarkconnect.org/index.php Home edition and run kerio on top of it on one box and then run the inbuilt postfix on the other as a backup mx.

so apart from the intial backupmx config then your admin profile would be the same

I know its not what you were looking for but it might be worht considering :)

Thank you for your suggestion, and I apologize for taking so long to respond back.

I had also left a message with Kerio regarding this licensing issue, but haven't heard from them as of yet.

Thanks again, that is not a bad suggestion at all, but that isn't quite what I was looking for. I'm currently running Kerio on a server running a version of Red Hat EL3, and using another very old server running SME server (www.contribs.org) fuctioning as our MX backup. Recently, I lost the 2nd of the 3 SCSI drives in the SME server's RAID array, and expect the 3rd to be not far behind.

I need to replace it soon and thought that the simplest to manage is to replace it with a similar configuration as the Kerio server...run the same OS, and run the same version of Kerio, just in a stripped down capacity (no webmail, no virus scanning, no POP3, no users, no nothing except acting as an SMTP relay for only our domiain). Since, the server would function as a mail relay ONLY when the Primary server was down, IMHO, only one license should be neccessary since only one server is operating at a time. The Kerio Mailserver license, doesn't seem to address this.

For MX Backup, I can easily build another SME server, or configure Postfix or Sendmail to do the same thing. I'd prefer to use Kerio, but I don't want to pay for another full license and Software Assurance fees on a stripped-down version that could easily be created from very capable Open Source software.

Since I know that Microsoft allows SQL servers (operating as a redundant backup) to operate under the same license without buying another license, and Eudora and other email vendors also allow backup servers too, I wondered if Kerio did as well.

If I do get an answer from Kerio about this, I will post it here as others that may wonder the same thing.
  •  
peterj

did you get an answer?
  •  
DuckFan

No, I still haven't heard from them yet.
  •  
wag357

No response = it's ok

at least in my world :)
  •  
redtoad

Anything on this? I am also wanting to do this.

Since all its doing is temporarily holding all domain mail until your main server is available, I would think it is fine.

But licensing is always difficult to interpret.
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Hello,

Each unique *active* instance of Kerio MailServer must have it's own license.

So one license but two machines, and only one copy of Kerio MailServer running at a time is OK. For example a backup MX that does not start until the primary goes down.

But you can not have two copies of Kerio MailServer running at the same time, with the same license. Our servers will detect this and you will be flagged, and denied support or other services until the problem is corrected.

I hope that is clear =)

Cheers,
Joshua

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
redtoad

So, in the scenario where the main server has say 200 accounts, could the second one simply accept all email for the domain(s), and then forward to the primary MX when it comes back up?

It would then only require the base license? Not a 2x 100 + base license.

After all, we are talking about a backup server, it might never actually be needed, and wont be used to access POP or anything, just ensure no email is lost if there are server issue with the primary MX.

Perhaps this is a "license" option Kerio could consider?
  •  
redtoad

•  
oregondean

redtoad wrote on Wed, 05 July 2006 23:24

Never Mind! I found the answer in:

http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/ch25s05.html

I think that this section refers to how to set up a 1 user backup but it does not address the licensing questions asked and clarified earlier.

Dean

OSX server 10.4.9, Dual G5 w/2GB of RAM
  •  
lars

The backup server would not need users, would it? It just need to forward all mail for the domain to the primary server. And it should try to do this every 5 minutes or so.. So I guess the cheapest license should do in all scenarios (it is not important how many domains are hosted as no users are needed)

[Updated on: Sun, 09 July 2006 12:32]

•  
winkelman

lars wrote on Sun, 09 July 2006 12:31

The backup server would not need users, would it?

You are correct.
Previous Topic: Problem Outlook and Contact
Next Topic: Slow calendar
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 18:21:06 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00483 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.