Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » No Reverse DNS so smarthost???
  •  
phil_w

Send a private message to this user
We've got a BT 'static' IP address for our Kerio Server. Anyone with any British Telecom experience will know that this 'static' address does not have a valid reverse dns value, so the likes of AOL reject any mail coming directly from our system. Is there any secret way that anyone knows of to add a 'smarthost' so that any mail for AOL (for example) gets sent through a proxy smtp rather than directly using DNS/MX records. Any other work arounds would also be welcome.

Many thanks in advance.
  •  
desquinn

you could send all mail thru mail.btconnect.com which is an smtp auth relay host. you need to contact them first and get your domain authorised.

apart from that you are looking for postfix like transport domain settings which KMS does not support AFAIK.

HTH

Des Quinn
  •  
peterj

yep

either use BT's relay (you will need to login to the portal and fillin the form to authorise your sending domain name)

alternativeley you can buy access to many third party smtp relay services for a few dollars a year...

•  
phil_w

Yes, i have access to my own Authenticated SMTP server, but I don't really want to use it for the sake of one domain!!!

I like the DNS delivery method.
  •  
desquinn

i know what you mean but you are going to find more domains that will behave this way.....

this is a short list

• aol
  • hotmail most of the time
  • barclays
  • dell
  • fsworld
  • pobox.com
  • o2
  • btinternet

Des Quinn
  •  
peterj

Phil.

Not sure what you are asking for!!!

You said you wanted a smarthost & now you have some suggestions you say you "like" using direct MX.

What would be the point of having 2 parallel delivery methods!!.

This seems like unnecessary work to maintain smarthost delivery for just a list of domains which you cannot SMTP direct to!
  •  
phil_w

I said i like using DNS delivery but would like the option to be able to pick out particular domains to use a different transport like Exchange can. All I'm trying to avoid is the occasional problem with passing SMTP on to another server which is out of my control so not knowing immediately if they are having delivery issues (admittedly this is quite rare with the provider I use). Also, I like to keep my bandwidth usage down through this provider, and would prefer to use my unlimited bandwidth available with my BT Business connection.
  •  
peterj

Still sounds like a waste of energy to me

In any case you can't do it.

You could always register with support<_at_>kerio.com as a suggestion.

Who knows they implement it by about KMS V9
(I have had several suggestions on the list for over a year myself!!!)
  •  
desquinn

there is a use for this......

if you havea complicated interbal structure for your mail then you might want to use multiple "transports" to route mail to specific mail hosts for them to deal with.

also when sending externally you may want to send internally oner a private link when it is available depending on your lan/wan infrastructure.

its great for test environments and complicated setups that need more than just straight dns or smarthost.

Des Quinn
  •  
peterj

Yes - but this is not what Phil wants it for...!

Sounds to me like the way to implement is to have options for 'local' & 'remote' when creating domains with delivery methods set individually.

Like I said you could suggest it to Kerio - Good Luck!!

•  
simon

You can set forwarding for a domain so that any emails go to the server you specify for the domain. I think I have seen this mentioned before on the forum, and I also think it is in the manual. You just create the domain and set the parameters for where you want the emails to be sent to. I haven't tried this myself so can't comment on how well it works.

The only problem is that you cannot set smtp auth for a connection like this.
  •  
peterj

Actually there are 2 problems

1)You can't SMTP Auth (So would have to use BTConnect & register your domain on their list)

2)You can't set a domain to send to using Direct MX
  •  
simon

Definately not ideal is it? I suppose what is required is something like the Connector in Exchange with more options for what to do with a particular domain? Who knows, maybe the mythical 6.1 has it already, but i'm not holding my breath.
  •  
peterj

Me Neither....

The (alleged) panacea of 6.1 has been built up so much it can now only be a disappointment

Now if it had been released last year as planned maybe we would have got rid of the bugs by now..!
desquinn

peterj wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 13:14

Yes - but this is not what Phil wants it for...!

yes I know thats why I suggested the "correct" answer earlier. I was responding to two of your comments which I should have quoted I know......

I was trying to answer this statement
Quote:

What would be the point of having 2 parallel delivery methods!!.

This seems like unnecessary work to maintain smarthost delivery for just a list of domains which you cannot SMTP direct to!

and this one

Quote:

Still sounds like a waste of energy to me

but I agreee that this should go with the other suggestions......

However it is a limit of the functionality of kerio as an enterprise mailserver and should be addressed at some point. Its not a big concern of mine since I will use postfix when faced with these situations.

Des Quinn
Previous Topic: Synchronisation 1 domain between 2 servers
Next Topic: silent install KOC
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:48:20 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00591 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.