Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » searching e-mail bodies
  •  
KellyMc

Send a private message to this user
As has been discussed many times before, Kerio does not support IMAP searching, meaning users cannot search for keywords in the bodies of e-mails.

The standard workaround usually suggested for this is to have the client download messages locally, but I've bene unable to get this to work in Mozilla in Windows XP, which is our primary client. It works if you work offline in Thunderbird, but Mozilla 1.7.5 seems to crash under the same circumstances.

Does anyone have any advice on getting this to work? And more importantly, does anyone know if Kerio plans to implement this most-basic functionality in a future version?

Thanks!
  •  
chadly

I have the exact same problem. Thunderbird has to save emails to local system and it has to be offline in order to search the body. What a pain. Does anybody have a better solution? Works fine in Apple Mail, it's just Thunderbird that is giving me the problem.
  •  
Lyle M

Just to chime in on this one...

Microsloth Entourage also does not search the message body in an IMAP search when connected to KMS - including messages that Entourage has already cached locally. It does support subject, recipient, and sender searching.

I guess I'll have to play with this when I set up that 6.1b5 server!
  •  
TechFan

I am very surprised that a modern mail-server doesn't have this ability. . .it is likely enough to keep us from purchasing Kerio. . .doesn't work in b5 either. Our users only use webmail, so they don't have the option to download their messages locally so they can search them. . .
  •  
sonofcolin

lylehm wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 11:43

Just to chime in on this one...

Microsloth Entourage also does not search the message body in an IMAP search when connected to KMS - including messages that Entourage has already cached locally. It does support subject, recipient, and sender searching.

I guess I'll have to play with this when I set up that 6.1b5 server!

Yes it does. Your just not seeing it! Use coomand 'F' and select more options and you'll get a whole host of other search criteria in Entourage, one of which is search in message body.

Of course, if you use 10.4, then spotlight will search all local messages for you anyway, making program searching irrelevant.
  •  
pwhodges

My users (and I) also want body searching, and to be able to do it using webmail; I seem to recall this being another thing that was "coming in 6.1", but I can't lay my hands on evidence in this case.

I can't afford to change server right now (it's my own money, and there's over 6 months' subscription to go yet), but if this isn't there by the end of the year I will need to seriously consider alternatives (a pain, as most charge a substantial premium for a multi-domain system, which I require).

Paul
  •  
Lyle M

Yes, command-f will search message bodies if they have been downloaded locally. Although, in this instance I was testing the command-shift-f "Find on IMAP server" function. "Find on IMAP server" is also accessed in the contextual menu of individual IMAP folders.

It appears that body searches, and more specifically, any "contains" search for any part of the message is inherently missing from Kerio (for external mail clients and webmail). Just try doing an IMAP search on the second half of a word in your subject or from fields - nada! I would call this an oversight, but sadly I think it was intentional.

Perhaps the developers can use a shortcut to add the indexing this functionality will need. Look at the OS's built-in indexing/find systems and attempt to tie into them. I'm certain Spotlight in OS X Tiger integrates with other apps quite well.
  •  
TechFan

I did find that if I mark a folder as offline and download all the messages in Thunderbird, it still won't search messages. . .I have to mark it as offline so Thunderbird will do the searching (just saw someone else made this comment earlier). . .but for some reason the webmail won't let me take it offline so I can search it. :-|

I hope this is just an oversight because users like the web interface in general so it would be nice to be able to choose a project they like.
Previous Topic: How can I re-index an user-account?
Next Topic: Help Please - I think I'm missing something...
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 02:56:22 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00408 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.