Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Changing Domain users accounts to local accounts
  •  
keriostuff

Send a private message to this user
Our company recently merged with another company. So our domain name has changed. We currently have our mailserver tied to active directory. What I would like to do stop the mail server from using active directory for account creation and authentication, but I need these accounts to remain for another six months, they are currently forwarded to another mail server.

I am unsure about one thing. If I stop using active directory will it delete all current accounts? If so when I recreate them locally in kerio, can I load the old mail into those new folders?

Thank you for any help you can provide
  •  
sedell

I've done this a few times when people have left and we had to move/access their mail. If you delete an account, the mail store stays intact. You can delete the Active Directory account, and create an account with the same Login Name in the internal database. It will use the existing mail store, so it'll retain the old messages.

Scott

•  
sedell

I should have mentioned, I do that while still attached to Active Directory. I'm not sure if it'll delete the accounts when you break the connection with Active Directory, but I have had situations where the AD server went down and no one could access their mail. Any incoming mail was rejected as unknown user... the account doesn't exist if you break/lose the connection with AD. Best bet would be to take care of the mail accounts before disconnecting from AD. That way you won't get any rejected mail.

Scott

•  
peterj

disconnecting from AD doesn't cause mail folder to be deleted.

In fact I'm not sure what does - even deleting users locally doesn't delete the correspoding folder - not sure if there is a way to purge these. I usually manually clear out old users folders every couple of months.

Perhaps I will ask Kerio - although on second thought maybe it's not worth the bother
  •  
keriostuff

Thanks for the info. I think i will disconnect from AD, delete the accounts then recreate them locally.

•  
Lyle M

You mentioned the old AD accounts have to remain so they can forward to another mail server. Does this mean that those users are not accessing mail directly on your server?
If those users don't need to authenticate to, or access, your server, have you considered removing all the accounts and simply using domain forwarding?
I haven't used domain forwarding of unknown users in KMS specifically, so I can't vouch for Kerio's functionality personally - but it may be worth testing.

Cheers,
Lyle
Previous Topic: active spam killer ?
Next Topic: Fax
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:52:57 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00484 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.