Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How do I migrate back to Exchange?
  •  
kailow

Send a private message to this user
I must be the dumbest IT-admin on the planet earth...

I thought I did a thorough testing of the KMS 6.08 in our inviroment. We have 50 wintel and 20 macs machines.
After 20 days of testing different things I migrated our Exchange 2000 server to KMS 6.08 - this didn't go easy, but never the less it succeded with some manual labour.

I've done a week using the KMS and I thought I was superuser on Outlook. Our users found a lot of bugs that I had missed during the test.
Some I can live with, some I can not.

I can't live with some of my attachments not being completely decoded though Outlook

Another big problem is the character encoding, which sometimes shows up at our customers like chineese.

I would be more than willing to pay more than tripple for the KMS, if I would get a good support and a product that work.

Now I'm paying the 15.000$ it costs and converts to an Microsucks Exchange 2003.

The only problem is now to convert all my mails back, cause they have all been migrated to KMS and gotten the "unspecified-domain" which is another bug in KMS :-(
  •  
itgroup

Hey Dude,
Don't knock yourself out! I would simply stop the kerio server completely. Setup exchange again. Alter the SMTP and POP ports for kerio (so it works, but doesn't receive any more mail) - then get your users to extract their mail via webmail browser - if necessary , email it back to themselves. No problem !
regards
steve
  •  
Mayk

ehm, fairly simple i think.

mayke nice PST files of the boxes, and import them when you've setup your exchange again..

but i can't figure out why you would go back to exchange..

I understand there are some bugs still present in the 6.x series, like some backup isseus on linux and a verry annoying calander bug in the webmail, some KOC and webmail performance issues and so, but by the looks of it, the 6.1 will resolve most of the bugs.

I don't expect everything to be resolved, all the bugs that are listed in the forum, but i hope most of them.

And after that, i hope the 6.1.1 will start adressing some new features that where discussed here in the forum..

So why not wait a little ??
  •  
achimzortea

Hi

for importing PST-Files; ontrack powercontrols is nearly perfect. Also late for exchnage administrating!

(but not very cheep)

cheerio

achim
  •  
DaveO

Quote:

then get your users to extract their mail via webmail browser - if necessary , email it back to themselves

You must have perfect users, I wouldn't dream of trying that in any real work environment!
  •  
kailow

My problem is much more complex than just have the users mail it back to themselves.

My users use most of the funktions in outlook/exchange and they need alle their things withem from Kerio.

It was easy to go from Exchange to Kerio, but it's not easy to go back.

The greatest problem is that the mail I've migrated says "unspecified-domain"

I doesn't dare use the old migrated mail in Kerio because of this problem. So I must go to every user an pull all the last 14 days of mail into the new exchange mailbox, I have allready migrated the old Exchange mail into the new mailbox without problems.

the only problem I'm now facing is how to get the calenders migrated. I've tried to backup to pst files and into exchange, but it says that the calender seem to be corrupted. Nevertheless it continues to work. But who wants to migrate 100 calenders by hand for later discover that they all are corrupted - is there a better way to do this. It's the same problem with Tasks in outlook.

Btw. It's a shame that KOC wasn't more responsive and had the flaws in it. I liked the interface better than Microsoft Exchange. But the new Exchange is now installed and the users up and running with exeption of calender and tasks for the last 14 days of testperiod with KMS.
I would rather not compair the 2 products, but Exchange isn't just a little faster. It's a LOT faster in our inviroment.
Hope Kerio would make the KMS better and make it able to handle the 100 or more users that they say it can support. Cause it's a real good product and a bang for the buck.

Boris Poulsen, Sysadmin, Kailow Graphic A/S
  •  
catoxpress

I agree with you all. This product's performance is far from that of Exchange. We have 100 users using the KOC on Citrix. Constantly having to perform maintenance on individual accounts for outgoing mail. Just last night, I tried to send a corporate memo to all 100 users and the KOC gagged, coughed and sputtered. KOC, while the features are excellent in theory, does not deiver. Performance and stability are abyssmal. Please Kerio! Fix the KOC so that we can use this in a production environment! If I had 1 or 2 users, I wouldn't feel compelled to complain. But for a product that touts being able to handle hundreds of users.....sorry, not quite.
  •  
geabaldyvx

I don't know where your proformance Issues on KMS come from. I run it on a 2.4ghz P4 w/ 1gig of Ram for over 150 Users. All on Oulook except for myself.. since I am the lone Mac person I run Entourage. It works great.. yeah for the user in outlook yiou have no offline folders and for maybe 5 of my users who push over 5gigs of email at any given point.. their box takes a bit to cache in the morning.. But overall I would rather do that than have to deal with Exchange and the nightmare scenario's that revolve around it. I am suspecting some of your proformance issue comes from either an underpowered machine, failing NIC, or bad install.

All that said.. KMS has flaws.. I run it on RHEL.. which suffers from the 2gig backup issue.. BTW: This issue supposedly doesn't crop up in Fedora 2 or 3.. one of them... Running the KOC on anything slower than a 1ghz machine is unthinkable unless your end users just simply doesn't carry a heavy load of email.

I have been running KMS since 6.04... and so far with every release it gets better... they fix issues, they clean things up, the further repair of ailing issues with the KOC... but all in all bang for the $$$$ it is the best I have found. I feel for your problems, and the fact you tested it out before pushing it out into an environment means you obviosuly pay attention to your work. Having to re-import those users is going to suck.. big time... but the guys/gals here are right.. your best bet is going to be a PST backup and then a restore of those PST files to the server... it is a pain.. but it is by far the most effective way to get your data back to your M$ Excrement 2003 server...
  •  
kailow

heh heh - It's not an underpowered server I'm running :-)

It runs on a sparkling new DELL 1850 1U with a pair of 3GHz EMT64 Xeon 1MB CPU's and Windows 2003 32-bit with 2 GB of memory.
2x143 GB 15000rpm harddrives in Hardware RAID 1 with 64 MB controller - two 1 Gbit Intel server NIC's on motherboard teamed with trunking and failover. Everything on 3 HP gigabit switches with 4Gbit backbone against each other. Every user connected at 1 Gbit speed, lowest machine configuration is 2GHz P4 with 512 MB memory.

The only bottleneck in this scenario is the two RAID 1 harddrives, I should have bought two more and run RAID 10 (2 mirrored and then striped)

The CPU's is sitting doing nothing, the harddrives does a little. The webmail feels fast with not to many users. But the KOC is killing us. Mails get stock in our outbox while sending and so on.
If deleting a lot of mails it takes ages. And the mail takes about 1 + 3/4 times the same space than on the Exchange system.
The most frustrating thing for our users was the lack of ability to group the things :-(

I don't think I have done anything wrong in the setup of the KMS 6.08 - I'm used to setup server and collaboration software etc. It's a lot easier to set up KMS than a Exchange 2000/2003 with dns and domain-controller. But it's more fun when you see the fruit of your frustrations in the face of a user who thinks you have saved his world by speeding up his outlook :-D

The one thing I will miss most is the great feature in webmail who gives the ability to share folders.

Before my exchange installation i should free up the server and had to move the KMS to another maskine. I took me 5 minutes to install/move and enable it again. That can't be done with an Exchange system. Hate to leave KMS :-(
  •  
peterj

That's almost all cobblers!!

We aren't dreaming the problems with the crappy KOC.!

On identical hardware & o/s platforms Exchange is about 10x faster than the KOC, even with relatively small mailboxes.

I agree that the architecture & management of exchange is over complicated & a lot of hassle for less than 150users on a single server..

However although there is no argument over the comparative excellence of KAdmin but the KOC is bloody awful.

& to the person who said "hey can't you wait a while"

We have been wobbling & crashing along since last July and by the latest estimate we have at least another 3months to see if 6.1 is as good as we all hope.

**Vent Over Now .........and relax

Previous Topic: Kerio SMTP and large attachments
Next Topic: 6.09 / 6.1
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 16:37:34 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00510 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.