Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Newbie Setup from scratch
  •  
jamezm

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I hope somebody can help me with the configuration of Kerio. I am a real newbie and am having real difficulty understanding what settings go where, I had hoped it would all be a little more intuitive.

The 'server machine' is Windows XP (it is only a 'server machine' for the purposes of trialling Kerio... it is not used for anything else). It does not have Outlook installed. I have used the default Program Files>Kerio>Store etc for the server storage. The network is a simple peer-to-peer network of 10 PC's connected to a switch.

As I am currently just demo-ing the product before implementing what domain name should I be using?

Is there a step-by-step guide to the settings that goes into more detail than the manual?

For example, how will the client machines know where to access the server? I have installed the Kerio Outlook Connector (on Outlook 2000), and it asks for a 'Server Name' - should this be the IP address of the server machine itself? Or the name of the server machine on the LAN network.

I really get the feeling I am missing some basic stuff here but I am not a network expert I just know 'this cable goes here' territory and want to trial this product. Our existing set up is to collect emails to individual Outlook PST's via our host's POP3 servers, and archive email to 'Microsoft Mail Shared Folders'. We want to modernise the set up to Exchange or a cheaper system like Kerio.

Any help at all would be much appreciated. A step-by-step 'enter these IP Address / username / password details here' guide would be ideal!

Thanks in advance.
  •  
KevinAtAPC

Domain name will be whatever email domain you're using, the part after the <_at_> in your email address. Hostname is the computer name of the server. Under Forwarding, set it to forward if the recipient was not found in the domain and supply it with your ISP's mailserver name (or IP) and port. If you use dialup, add the check to delivery triggered by scheduler.

For the clients, server name can be the IP address but generally better to have the computer name, if possible. That way if you have to change IP addresses you don't have to reconfigure all your clients to the new IP.

With your setup you'll probably setup Kerio to download from your ISP's mailserver via POP3 (it's simplest for small trial setup). Make sure you setup the user account in Kerio first. Then you'll need one POP3 account setup for each user to download into appropriate user account.

Schedule downloads at a reasonable interval, what's reasonable is going to depend on your connection and your ISP.

Probably best to take each of these as individual steps if you're not real comfortable. Also would help to minimize the number of end users until you've got things going smoothly. Also, if you have a non-dialup connection, turn off any unneeded services and make sure the SMTP server is not on open relay.
  •  
jamezm

Thanking you kindly!

Having problems with the Outlook Connector crashing constantly now before even having the opportunity to enter the server name and log in details, grrrr!

Is there an alternative way to set up public folders using the Kerio interface, rather than using Outlook itself?
  •  
KevinAtAPC

webmail will work for that
  •  
jamezm

Great, thanks again.

I'm using the webmail fine, but it is only showing the Contacts in the Public Folders and I can't see any way within the web mail interface of adding new public folders of any kind (my overall objective is to move about 100 folders from a Microsoft Mail Shared Folders system to the Kerio server...).

•  
KevinAtAPC

Right click on Public Folders and select New Folder.
Previous Topic: KOC 6.0.8 freezes Outlook 2003 with large file attachement
Next Topic: KMS 5.7x IMAP weirdness
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 07:53:27 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00470 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.