Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Share your KMS backup strategy!
  •  
Dr.Bob

Send a private message to this user
I wonder, what's your backup strategy for kms, and how good does that work for you, and who can share some real experiences with restoring separate e-mails/complete mailboxes/complete servers?

Please mention your OS and in short how you handle this o so very important aspect of e-mail reliability.

Thanx,
dr.b
  •  
bperkins

Redhat Enterprise Linux 3

Daily: I use the "Day" archiving feature in KMS for all messages (outgoing, incoming, etc). Then everynight at 1:30am, I have a script that backups the daily archive folder to tape and then deletes that days archive folder. (The script also confirms that it backed up to tape successfully). A whole month of "dailies" will fit on one tape and I label this tape say "April-Daily".

Monthly: On the 1st of every month at 1:30am, I have a script that runs that shuts down KMS, copies everything in /opt/kerio/mailserver to tape and then it restarts KMS. (This script also confirms that it backed up to tape successfully). I label this tape "April-Monthly".

Now, this plan would not suit everyone. I have my server on a RAID 10, so I don't worry "too much" about a failing hard drive. I've only had to resort to backups for users deleting emails that they wish they hadn't. In this case, I can pull out the correct tape and restore that days emails in my archive folder and search for it and then put it in a folder and share it with them until they get it from the shared folder. My backup strategy works excellent in this scenario.

Now, where this backup strategy isn't so hot is in a complete disaster. Let's say I have 2 or 3 hard drives die at the same time. I would have to recover my last monthly backup from tape and then all the "dailies" since the monthly (lets hope that this scenario would only occur on the 2nd or 3rd of the month ;-) ). Now, the pain would be that all the daily backups are not separated by users. I guess I would have to go through all emails and separate them by user. This would be a nightmare and I don't want to even think about this. Maybe I put too much confidence in my RAID, but this scenario has worked excellent for a while now. My users are always amazed how quickly I can recover an email that they accidentally deleted.

Oh, and I have enough tapes to last me two years and then I start overwriting. The users are aware of this. I also keep extra hard drives on hand in case one fails in the RAID. This is to prevent my total disaster scenario. Surely, two hard drives would not fail at the exact same time would they?? ;-)

Hope this gives you some ideas (like I said, this would not suit everyone).

Take care,
BP
  •  
desquinn

Quote:

I also keep extra hard drives on hand in case one fails in the RAID. This is to prevent my total disaster scenario. Surely, two hard drives would not fail at the exact same time would they?? ;-)

one thing about this is that the MTBF of the drives means that the probability is that the drives would be more likely to fail at the same time if they are from the same batch.

with this in mind and the fact that you have spare disks it is worth considering swapping one of your spares in if it was bought at a separate tiem or indeed just because it has less usage. Not a major thing but worth being aware of.

Have seen this probability in action :( on a big fileserver

Des Quinn
  •  
peterj

•  
KevinAtAPC

peterj wrote on Fri, 15 April 2005 07:59

MTBF ??

Mean time between failure
  •  
bperkins

Good point desquinn! I do have spare drives that were not manufactured with the current drives in use. That is something I took into consideration.....

Thanks,
BP
  •  
desquinn

but if your two drives in use in the server are of the same type/batch then you still have a risk if not a large one.....

Des Quinn
  •  
bperkins

•  
Dr.Bob

I have 2 servers: The primary mailserver with RAID0 on SCSI disks. So already pretty save. The other server is available as a dedicated backupserver. Also with RAID0.

My desired config is that the backup server is always at most an hour behind on the mailserver. So might something really aweful happen to the mailserver, I have the backupserver up and running in notime, with at most an hour loss of data.

Can anyone tell, preferably from experience, what the best setup for this is? Should I use an almost-realtime synch function? Should I synch the eml files, or use the KMS backup function to play a part? Any other option?

Thanx in advance,
dr.b
  •  
desquinn

raid 0 is striping and as such offers no redundancy whereas raid 1 does by offering mirrored disks.

as to the hour behind scenario,

simple method is backups.
then perhaps rsync if on linux or doubletake on windows

Des Quinn
  •  
Dr.Bob

OOPS! Ment Mirroring, ofcourse have mirroring on m'n HD's, not striping. Keep mixing up RAID0 and RAID1. So: Situation = RAID1 = mirroring
  •  
alaskacpu

Hi,

There's many different ways this can be accomplished - however, it all depends upon "How Critical" your data is!

We place Kerio MailServer on it's own HardDrive - 250GB. There is nothing else on this drive!

Then we use SnapShot! (no-affilitation).
http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

Snapshot takes a snapshot of the entire drive - regarless of what's being written at the time - but we do this around 1am in the morning - since most mail comes in during regular hours.

SnapShot does what Norton-Ghost does - accept SnapShot is tiny (non-bloatware) - has command line options include - to schedule across domains - via network - is easy to use - and much faster than any other imager we've seen. It also allows for virtual drives - using your snapshot - so that you can just drag and drop files back where they belong.

As far as Kerio Backups - using scripts we move those to another computer after our SnapShot - using a script.

As far as the Archive - we wrote our own program to store, search and recover old emails. We are currently working on an ASP.Net Version for our employees to search through the archive (for their own email - of course) - if the need should arise!

Regards
Mike

USA Rocks the World!
  •  
sonofcolin

OS X:

Full daily /store/ backup to FW drive1.
Carbon Copy Cloner (cron) bootable server clone to FW drive2 every week.
  •  
pwhodges

bperkins wrote on Fri, 15 April 2005 13:24

Surely, two hard drives would not fail at the exact same time would they?? ;-

It's happened to me twice in the last year...

Paul
desquinn

its really annoying when it happens once never mind twice.

mines happened in a raid 5 setup with an extra disk on standby but with two disks failing within minutes of each other the standby was of no use.

Also heard of it happening on a raid 10 setup with 3 disks going kaput..... one on either side of the mirror and then the final nail being a second one on the first stripe :(

Des Quinn
Previous Topic: Webmail, bulleted lists, no sent items
Next Topic: KOC: Spam buttons position in the Outlook toolbar
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 04:08:30 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00592 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.