Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » SMTP trouble
  •  
djkoelkast

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I'm running Kerio (6.0.6) on Fedora Core 2
as soon as it starts I see in de admin:

socklib.cpp: Bind to port 25 failed: (98) Address already in use
services.cpp: Cannot start service SMTP on port 25, unable to bind service to all IP addresses
main.cpp: Cannot start remote admin server: (98) bind() failed

also my provider blocks port 25 so I did the following:

smtp: port 26
pop3: port 27
webmail: port 28

also put these numbers in my outlook on my windows machine (where I recieve the mails)
but I never recieve a mail and even with OPEN RELAY I get the message back (I sent a message to an e-mail address on that same server!)

This is an informative message sent by Kerio MailServer 6.0.6 at mail.ad-it.nl.
The server was not able to deliver your mail message to the following addresses:

<info<_at_>domain.nl> (domain.nl: 554 <info<_at_>domain.nl>: Relay access denied)

help!
  •  
desquinn

if your server is not listening on port 25 or not able to since your isp blocks it then you are not going to be able te receive mail to your outlook client.

the only methods around this is to use:

pop3 collection
mail redirection service
backup mx with different ports in use

HTH

Des Quinn
  •  
djkoelkast

can you tell me a little more about that?

I can use the smtp of my provider to send mail, but how can I recieve mail in a good way?

-ps the port in use problem is over now-

[Updated on: Sat, 16 April 2005 17:41]

•  
desquinn

djkoelkast wrote on Sat, 16 April 2005 16:41

can you tell me a little more about that?

I can use the smtp of my provider to send mail, but how can I recieve mail in a good way?

-ps the port in use problem is over now-

dont know if you still have an issue but what one of the 3 things do you want to know more about?

Des Quinn
  •  
djkoelkast

the issue is like this:

say the mailserver (kerio) has a domain called: domain1.nl
and the domain which I mail from normally that is hosted somewhere else is called: domain2.nl

when I mail from webmail on domain1.nl to domain2.nl the mail arrives excellent.

when I mail from domain2.nl (in Outlook or something) it never arrives at domain1.nl.

also strange: when I mail from domain1.nl to domain1.nl through webmail this message also never arrives

What would be the best solution to be able to recieve mail, knowing my internet service provider blocks port 25 but has an open relay smtp server (for users with an internet account there).
I already tried sending through that smtp but nothing works.
  •  
coolbarguy

What you wish to accomplish is actually quite simple in process.
However, if we tackle the issue by "sidestepping" the existing problems, then we'll take alot of uneeded steps. So I'll try to help you the "direct" way first using what you've stated.

Problem:
- as soon as it starts I see in de admin:
- socklib.cpp: Bind to port 25 failed: (98) Address already in use

Solution:
You're getting the error because your linux server is running either sendmail or qmail (smtp), and probably courier-imap (pop/imap).
You left out an important piece of info here. Is the linux box/Kerio Server running on the public Internet (dedicated server, etc.) or is it running in your home/office using the "blocked port 25" connection of your isp?
Assuming that it's hosted on a public IP outside of your home/office, and assuming that you do not need the existing mail server on that linux box, we'll be in good shape.
1. Use bash command "netstat -an" to see what ports are being used on what interfaces.
2. Terminate the applications using these ports. Specifically, I'm referring to port 25, 110, and whatever imap is on.
3. To prevent them from starting up, take them out of the startup script. NOTE: If this sounds complicated, just go to www.webmin.com install their free GUI app. You'll be able to do all this stuff easily.
4. Login to Kerio and go to services. Return all services to their default ports with the exception of SMTP. Configure SMTP (Kerio is cool cuz you can simply add multiple ports for the same service) to use port 25 AND 26.
5. Apply and start all services to see if they all run.
6. Go to SMTP SERVER area of Kerio and select Allow relay for:. Then check the box that allows relay for users authenticated through SMTP.. .
7. In MS Outlook, restore all the default ports for using a mail server EXCEPT for Outgoing Mail. Keep this on port 26 and put in your authentication info for the SMTP server (valid Kerio username<_at_>domain and password).
8. Now when you send mail, it will use port 26 and bypass your ISP's block. Kerio will still communicate properly with other mail servers because we've configured SMTP for both ports 25 and 26.

Contact me if your scenario is different. I prefer to give help via an IM client.

•  
djkoelkast

Hi,

thanks for your help out there! great!
I'm available on MSN Messenger or ICQ for additional help. I prefer MSN Messenger, the address: djkoelkast<_at_>hotmail.com (only for msn, not for mail), ICQ: 108-287-592
  •  
coolbarguy

[quote title=djkoelkast wrote on Sat, 16 April 2005 18:48]the issue is like this:

say the mailserver (kerio) has a domain called: domain1.nl
and the domain which I mail from normally that is hosted somewhere else is called: domain2.nl

when I mail from webmail on domain1.nl to domain2.nl the mail arrives excellent.

- When you use webmail, you bypass your ISP's port 25 block. You're using port 80 (or any web port) to connect to Kerio. Then Kerio sends the mail via whatever port it's configured with.

when I mail from domain2.nl (in Outlook or something) it never arrives at domain1.nl.

- Is domain1.nl properly registered with a DNS provider? Did you check your MX records or ping mail.domain1.nl? And on a seperate note, what's up with being so secretive with your domain names? I'd have all that info checked up by now if your real domain names were provided.

also strange: when I mail from domain1.nl to domain1.nl through webmail this message also never arrives

- How are your users setup in Kerio? If it's user1 and user2, are you emailing from user1<_at_>domain1.nl to user2<_at_>domain1.nl?

What would be the best solution to be able to recieve mail, knowing my internet service provider blocks port 25 but has an open relay smtp server (for users with an internet account there).
I already tried sending through that smtp but nothing works.

- If you simply want to receive mail, you don't need to worry about port 25 blocking. You receive via Pop or Imap and those have nothing to do with port 25.
Previous Topic: <_at_>unspecified-domain
Next Topic: Bug in Webmail or this forum?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 17:58:29 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00426 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.