Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Preview Pane / Outlook 2000 / KOC 6.09
  •  
rhunter

Send a private message to this user
I tried KOC 6.09 in Outlook 2000 SP-3 and cant get the preview pane to turn off and stay off. When I click View,Preview the pane goes away, but when I change folders and come back, the preview pane returns. I started with a new profile and uninstalled the old KOC version through control panel. Client is W2K Pro SP4.

This was an old bug that had gone away. Is anyone else seeing this or do I have some kind of configuration problem?

•  
KevinAtAPC

I had this with an older version of KOC. Haven't had it since 6.0.3 though.
  •  
rhunter

I've duplicated it on two other OL 2000 machines. It seems incapable of saving a changed preview setting. There is no error message. If preview was originally turned off on a folder, it wont stay turned on after changing folders. If it's on it wont stay turned off. So, the folders are stuck in their current preview setting state.

Outlook XP works correctly.

Dont know about Outlook 2003.

•  
mdhmi

Have you filed a bug report with Kerio Support on this?

Mark
  •  
rhunter

I sent a bug report this morning. They must be backed up. They just today responded to another problem I emailed them about last Wednesday.

•  
sedell

Did you hear back from support about this yet? I've just run into this problem, also on a Win2000 SP4 machine with OL2000. We have a number of OL2000 machines running the KOC, and this is the first to show this problem.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott
  •  
rhunter

They told me to delete the keriomapi folder and to make a new profile. I had already tried this and it didnt work.

Sometimes, after trying numerous times, the pane will stay off for a folder. I can detect no pattern as to why.

The problem started with 6.0.9 and may be better with 6.0.10. It had been gone since an earlier 6.0.x release (maybe .3?) and then just reappeared. I was able to turn off several folders in a row with 6.0.10 and then no more. The remaining ones are stuck in their current state. The most detrimental is the Junk Email folder is stuck on. In order to delete anything in the folder, you have to go to it and that automatically opens the first mail in the folder which is guaranteed to be something you dont want opened.

I havent pursued it very aggresively with tech support. You may have better luck.
  •  
sedell

I just ran into this problem for the first time since 6.0.3 (I think) after installing 6.0.10 on one of my users machines. The only difference is there is no error message now.

I already tried the keriomapi_STORE, that was no go. I tried deleting the metadata.pag file as well (I was told that stores some view info). That didn't help either. I'm going to try and put that user on a spare XP SP2 machine we have and see if that helps. If not, off to support I go.

Scott
  •  
sedell

Well, deleting the keriomapi folder then using another machine doesn't help. It's got to be in the user profile somewhere, and not a bug on the user machine itself. That's a start at least.

Scott
  •  
waldropm

Have the same issue with a client. They are using Kerio Mail server 6.0.10 and the same version of the connector. If anybody has found a sure way of fixing this I would appreciate the details.

Also you might want to try and send the connector dump file to kerio for analysis.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:13]

•  
sedell

I just found a work around (kind of). I was about to contact Kerio support to find a real way to fix the problem.

I was able to correct the problem by:
1. Delete the __keriomapi__STORE from the user profile.
2. Delete all the metadata.pag file from all the mail subfolders
3. Open the users account with Outlook 2003 so it recreates the files.

After this, things function properly in Outlook 2000. For some reason, Outlook 2000 isn't properly creating the metadata.pag file, and something in the __keriomapi__STORE tree. Oddly enough, I had no problem with Outlook 2000 before, all of a sudden all of my new accounts are broken. This is getting so frustrating.

Scott
  •  
rhunter

One of the computers I'm having problems with is running Outlook 2003, although I've been able to turn off the pane in some of its folders and none on the Outlook 2000 machines.

I'll try the metadata.pag file also. I hadnt tried that one.

It seems enough people have this that Kerio should be able to reproduce it by themselves. Their test bed capability must be non-existent.

•  
sedell

Did you ever open that account with OL2000? I found that once you open the user account with OL2000 and it breaks the views, it's also broken in OL2003 until you delete the folder/files.

<Quote>Their test bed capability must be non-existent.</Quote>

That's what scares me about the upcoming 6.1 release. They say they now have a zero bug policy and keep delaying it for further testing. Yet they release each 6.0.x version with as many, if not more bugs than the version before it.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:37]

Scott
  •  
rhunter

It probably was opened with OL 2000. I think the OL 2003 installation came after v6.0.9.

We've mostly abandoned the idea of using KMS to replace Exchange. I hate Exchange, but at least Outlook gives the users a relatively stable connection to it that works. For now, we're using KMS as a front end for Exchange to make up for a lot of Exchange's shortcomings. Maybe they'll get it fixed eventually.
waldropm

Here is the problem with small time products like Kerio and bug catching: it's a cost factor compared to Microsoft or Lotus Notes...or any other larger mail product. the smaller the scale of the product and company, the less money that goes into R&D and bug catching prior to release.

since a great deal of their problems seem to "not exist" in the newer version(s) of outlook, i imagine they only test on the latest and greatest versions. a company that doesn't have the manpower or time, will undoubtedly have a smaller test bed and research team! it's cheaper to develop a product that has less bugs or issues and can work with a few (1 or 2 in this case) versions of outlook, than it is to develop a stable product for many versions of outlook. I have worked with companies before that have had this happen, where because of the time required and manpower needed they can't afford to test against anything but the most current or 1 back from the current. they probably use an 80/20 rule, where they test against what 80% of the public would use, which is probably newer versions of outlook and figure they can catch the remaining 20% post-release with fixes, patches, etc....

this is exactly why companies are offshoring, from the US anyway, this type of work. so they can put twice as much time and effort into this and the costs are the same or cheaper. kerio probably just doesn't have the manpower or money to develop this product like most people want it to be (at least from what I have read in the various posts on the forums).
Previous Topic: SSL certificate recommendations
Next Topic: !!! Please, we need the new OD connector for 10.4 server !!!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 25 02:54:31 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00496 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.