Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » SLowness upon opening Outlook
  •  
RPC_Admin

Send a private message to this user
Hello, I have recently switched my office to Kerio. All of people in my office use Outlook through the KOC. Of the 13 of us, two of us have a great amount of slownees when we open Kerio for the first time in the morning. In otherwords I start outlook, it opens and before I can do anythign in outlook it takes kerio 5 minutes of checking my mail. It seems to hang at 20% for me. My bosses machine seems to take about 7 minutes. After that time outlook is nice and snappy. Our machines are of decent specs, I have a 3GHz with 1 Gb of ram. I email Kerio tech support and their answer was "Outlook can take up to 1 minute to initially start under normal conditions.". All of the other mahcines in my office do not have this problem. Please help!
  •  
KevinAtAPC

I had something similar back when first started testing Kerio. Problem we had was when the "Do reverse DNS lookup for incoming connections" under the Advanced Options was checked. Took several minutes to open, appearing to hang on the Outlook splash screen.
  •  
RPC_Admin

I think this may be a different problem. I have Reverse DNS lookup turned off and I get by the Outlook splashscreen ok. Once I am in outlook and it does a send recieve, that is where I get frozen for 5 minutes.
  •  
tekfal23

I have this exact problem, as do a few of my users. I've gotten no resolutions for it. I was told that the new MAPI connector would fix it. It didn't. Mine will hang on whatever I do first thing in the morning. If I let it unlock, it is fine after that for the rest of the day.
  •  
RPC_Admin

Yes Tekfal23, that is exactly what is happeing here. Do any of the Kerio admins have any idea on this?
  •  
tekfal23

Not so far. However, I'm going to do a netmeeting with one of them today and we're going to look at it. I have 3 of 9 pc's exhibiting the slowness. I had initially planned to roll out the KOC to 75 pc's, but due to the bugs I've had to hold off on it. It's kind of been a nightmare for me. I had given Kerio credit for being a great solution for us. So far it is simply an e-mail server with a few add-ons. I'm doubtful 6.1 will fix my problems because every new release is supposed to fix my problems, but they just bring more bugs. I'll keep you posted if we find some kind of fix.
  •  
RPC_Admin

that would be great I am in a very similar situation, I tested it on 3 pcs, it ran perfect. Then I purchased it and was exciting and telling my bosses this is THE solution we'd been looking for. Once I started rolloing it out it's been very buggy. This bug and the fact that outlook rules don't seem to work are what i have left to deal with.

•  
RPC_Admin

I may have gotten somewhere, in fact I did get somewhere just not sure quite how. I have reduced my load time from about 5 minutes to maybe 30 seconds. It is now acceptable. What I did to fix this is

1.) Sorted my Inbox, it have 2200 messages, I sorted them out into subfolders so there are now about 400.

2.) sorted by email size I moved everything larger than 2Mb

One of the two of these made the difference. Good Luck. -Rob
  •  
tekfal23

Unfortunately mine is already sorted and there's only about 20k in my inbox.
  •  
Lyle M

I think you might want to try a divide and conquer approach. I would connect the affected computers to other accounts (or a test account) to see if the slow startup occurs. If you don't have the delay with the test account, the problem is most likely associated with the account. If you do have the slowdown, focus your attention on the client workstation.

If it appears to be the account, try accessing the account from an unaffected workstation. If the delay follows the user, the odds have increased that the problem is with that user's Kerio account.

At that point, you could try rebuilding the indices of the user's KMS server folders (rename index.fld > index.bad). You could try creating fresh accounts for the affected users and use an IMAP connected client to move their messages over. There's plenty of little things you can try based on your suspicions.

If the problem appears to be workstation specific, I can't offer much help as Windows is not my forté.

Good luck and best wishes.

Regards,
Lyle Millander
  •  
bperkins

maybe try deleting the "__keriomapi__STORE" folder in the users account also.......

BP
  •  
RPC_Admin

Just curious, What is the "__keriomapi__STORE" file? Is it just a MAPI index?

Does cleaning out the index regularly help rebuild them in a more efficient way thus making your kerio faster or does it then require them to rebuild thus slowing kerio down for a while?
  •  
mlerley

Just upgraded to 6.1.2 and I'm still experiencing this problem. Several of the workstations here sit at Send/Receive Status 33% for up to several minutes before returning control. If you get to it soon enough, you can cancel the send/receive thing and it works fine after that. I've tried renaming the folder index, removing the __keriomapi__STORE folder, starting Outlook with the /nopollmail switch -- nothing makes a difference. People are getting extremely frustrated. What is the deal? What does "synchronizing folders" really mean? Why can't it be turned off, especially if stopping it near the beginning of the process causes no ill effects?

Outlook 2003, Win XP, Linux KMS.

The koc debug log (lvl 2) consists primarily of this during the synchronization:

05-12-15 13:53:12.562 ctx=client sev=info c/m=CMessage fn=ModifyRecipients cp=3 cd=0x00000000 dsc='finished'
05-12-15 13:53:12.562 ctx=client sev=info c/m=CMessage fn=ModifyRecipients cp=1 cd=0x00000002 dsc='called'
05-12-15 13:53:12.562 ctx=client sev=info c/m=CMessage fn=ModifyRecipients cp=3 cd=0x00000000 dsc='finished'
05-12-15 13:53:12.578 ctx=client sev=info c/m=CMessage fn=ModifyRecipients cp=1 cd=0x00000002 dsc='called'
05-12-15 13:53:12.578 ctx=client sev=info c/m=CMessage fn=ModifyRecipients cp=3 cd=0x00000000 dsc='finished'
05-12-15 13:53:12.578 ctx=client sev=info c/m=CMessage fn=ModifyRecipients cp=1 cd=0x00000002 dsc='called'
05-12-15 13:53:12.578 ctx=client sev=info c/m=CMessage fn=ModifyRecipients cp=3 cd=0x00000000 dsc='finished'
05-12-15 13:53:12.593 ctx=client sev=info c/m=CMessage fn=ModifyRecipients cp=1 cd=0x00000002 dsc='called'
05-12-15 13:53:12.593 ctx=client sev=info c/m=CMessage fn=ModifyRecipients cp=3 cd=0x00000000 dsc='finished'
05-12-15 13:53:12.593 ctx=client sev=info c/m=CMessage fn=ModifyRecipients cp=1 cd=0x00000002 dsc='called'
05-12-15 13:53:12.609 ctx=client sev=info c/m=CMessage fn=ModifyRecipients cp=3 cd=0x00000000 dsc='finished'

Occasionally, there's other stuff, but this is 98% of it.

Please, someone from Kerio, address this issue. Clearly there are many of us affected.

-mike

[Updated on: Thu, 15 December 2005 19:54]

•  
winkelman

Did you check all the steps to take if KOC is troubling you (KB article)? Such as checking for COM-addins, (temporarily) turning off email scanning in the desktop AV scanner, etc.
mlerley

I did some of them, but I should mention that this problem has just gotten progressively worse since installing Kerio at this site about 4 months ago. The severity of the issue -- e.g. the length of the delay -- seems to be directly related to the number of items in the inbox, and/or possibly the total size of the inbox.
Previous Topic: Importing iCalendar
Next Topic: Symantec Antivirus Scan Engine 4.0
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 11:54:37 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00561 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.