Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Server Check - Program (Freeware)
  •  
alaskacpu

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I have create a program to check Kerio MailServer for being able to Send/Recv - every 5 minutes. I use this at home, but decided that there were a few here that could have use for it.

It has (2) files:
KSC.EXE 270kbs (Main Program - No runtimes)
KSC.INI 1kbs (Must edit to use program)

You can download the setup file below.
Right-Click - Save As on this link:
http://www.sewardak.net/downloads/KSCSetup.exe

Make sure you edit the ini file - or the program will not run!
It is looking for your server, email address, username, password.

Your information is only used to contact your server, and nothing else. Nothing is sent to me or anyone else. Use at your own risk - this program is freeware!

Program Usage: Start the Program (after you edit the ini file).
Click Start - and make sure you can send/recv right away! Both Send & Recv should be green. If they are - the information you enter is correct. If not - double-check your ini file. If it still doesn't work - send me an email - it's in the ini file.

Now - when you close the program - it will remain in the System Tray. If it's green - your sever is good. If it turns RED - your server has problems! If it turns Cyan - a test is in progress!

You can right click the system tray icon - to see About, Restore or Exit the program. The only way you can exit the program is to right-click the icon and click exit!

Comments/Suggestions are welcome!

Regards
Mike

USA Rocks the World!
  •  
Bypartizoa

This looks very useful. It would be even better if there were a way to notify an admin in the event of a "red light" (via text message or e-mail using a different mailserver than the one being monitored of course).
  •  
alaskacpu

Hi,

As time permits - I plan to do this! Even I would like to be notified - using a different email address - once not related to the current server.

I'll post updates here as some of you post your thoughts, ideas on how to improve this little program.

Regards
Mike

USA Rocks the World!
  •  
UladZ

Can you provide a source code along with the precompiled binary?
  •  
peterj

Can you please explain how this util works.

Does it connect to SMTP & IMAP or POP3 ports to check the server is running.
  •  
alaskacpu

Hi,

1) No - source code will not be posted.
2) I use any means necessary to contact the server - pop/smtp/imap.

Summary of what it the program does:

First - it test pop - by reading the (oldest email) in your inbox. If it can read it - recieve mode passes - all other recieve test are skipped. If it can't - an smtp login is performed and the same test attempted - and the same for IMAP etc.

Second - it checks the smtp side for athentication login - and prepares a test email for sending - but does not actually send it. I get to a certain point where the server is ready to send it, but cancel the sending - knowing at this point - the server has no problem sending.

Currently - if your server failed - the RED Light comes on - and stays - regardless if the next test passed! I will fix this, when I add other options for you to use. Also - I have hard-wired the ports to check - however, in the next updated version - I will allow you to pick the port your server uses! Some have already stated they use other ports - and there test always fail - because I didn't include these options.

If anyone has a program idea for Kerio - please don't hesitate to ask - and if we create it - your copy will be free to use or give away! We don't promise to be fast (like within 24 hours) - but we will take the idea and make it work for you within a reasonable amount of time. We do this for a living - so, it's not like it's a big deal for us!

Regards
Mike

USA Rocks the World!
  •  
alaskacpu

Hi,

One idea that was given to me - is to test your Kerio MailServer for Open-Relay. I think this is a good idea - and when this program is done - I will post it on this site!

It's a good idea - to check your server at least once - every week or so - to make sure no one has tampered with settings - or if you made some changes - etc...

An Open-Relay - could be drastic to your company - and it could end up putting your mailserver out of the loop - until the Abuse or Spam Companies take you off their Black-Listing!

There are many ways to test for Open-Relay - but I hope to explain it more to you when the program is done!

Regards
Mike

USA Rocks the World!
  •  
peterj

Thanks for this.

In that case I think there is a problem.

We use all the standard ports for pop/imap & smtp

We do not have pop3 running (no need for it)

Without pop3 running both tests (send & receive) are reported as failures. If pop3 is running then both tests pass OK.

It appears that imap is not used instead of pop3 & that smtp is failed also when receive test fails

PS
Open relay test utils (and websites) exist already as they are not KMS specific.
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

Can you make a service out of this program?
and is it possible to auto restart the mailserver (Mailserver service restart) when something is going wrong?

[Updated on: Tue, 26 April 2005 23:57]

•  
alaskacpu

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info - Yes - I will add the port options sometime this week - so that you can make it work the way you want! That way - for those who use whatever-port (pop/smtp/imap) - then they can select those settings.

As far as open relay - I use a spoofing scheme - that most sites don't use, where as - any email can be spoofed if one knows the tricks of the trade! Testing for for spam<_at_>domain.com and many other - are usually protected by the server.

A great web-tool to check your server - is ShieldsUp!

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 then click proceed.
See if your server passes! Most don't!

Regards
Mike

USA Rocks the World!
  •  
alaskacpu

Hi RHarsen,

Service? Sure - that's not hard to do. However, Let me finish this utility to specs - and then add that feature.

Regards
Mike

USA Rocks the World!
  •  
desquinn

Quote:

A great web-tool to check your server - is ShieldsUp!

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 then click proceed.
See if your server passes! Most don't!

I would dispute the word great.... All shields up doe sis perform a very basic portscan on your machine and it is very windows centric.

really has nothing to do with mailservers apart from noticing if somethign is running on a mail related port.

IMO its a waste of webspace and a pushing but hey thats just my thoughts.....

(it fails your machine because it responds to packets and also if it responds to ICMP packets.)

Des Quinn
  •  
alaskacpu

desquinn,

Maybe I over-stated the word great - but it's a neat web-tool to use, and there are others as well. However, I do agree - it does have some problems with its posted results! Port 25 maybe open - but that doesn't mean I have an open-relay or that my mailserver is even using that port - (which mine isn't). But many web-based tools assume that also!

Regards
Mike

USA Rocks the World!
Previous Topic: LDAP Timeout error
Next Topic: Whitelists
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 17:19:09 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00570 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.