Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How satisfied are you with KMS?
  •  
keneisman

Send a private message to this user
We're looking at moving from Mercury/32 to KMS due to several features in KMS that are absent in Mercury. Namely, AD integration, webmail, and online collaboration.

My questions to you, as users, are:
How satisfied are you with KMS overall?
Is it reliable?
Are there any performance issues?
Does it do everything it says it will do?
How responsive is Kerio tech support?
How responsive is Kerio customer service?
Would you buy KMS again if you were shopping for a new mailserver?

(We will be running this on a W2003 server with about 150 mailboxes and 4 listservs.)

This forum has helped me to get a better picture about the software and the company but forums generally attract more negative comments than positive ones. That's just the nature of the beast. So any help you can provide me to make this purchaseing decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ken Eisman
IS Director
Matagorda County
  •  
jledbett

I was unable to take advantage of the AD integration because of what i consider a flaw with it. We have multiple domain names hosted on the kerio server, but on the AD side everything is in one domain. Whenever I would add a user from kerio, it would create a mailbox in all 3 domains, not just the one I created it in and that would take 3 licenses!!!!

I dont think it should work this way, but I was told that is how it is.

I ended up using the builtin users and therefore my passwords dont sync, but in the long run that may be good, since its not quite intuitive in the Outlook Connector where to change password, at least for office user.

Otherwise I have been mostly happy. I think the SPAM filtering could use a lot of work. As much as I seem to train, it doesnt seem to get much better.

Tech support has been very good, even if development seems a bit slow to fix some problems.

Obviously for the features cost is very reasonable.

Hope this helps,

James
  •  
peterj

My two cents

Performance is perfect as long as you don't touch the KOC or new webmail interface!!

Reliability is generally very good although I note there are some crash probs on linux since 6.0.9

Feature set is good but sometimes seems to be at the expense or the performance & reliability

Support - well mixed, sometimes they respond & are helpful and sometimes I get no response at all. I currently have about 30 bugs listed sith support awaiting fixes.
  •  
pxh11

We are having major issues with KMS. We are using 5.7.10 though.
We are running it on a W2K server. We have 7,700 accounts and 250 mail lists. The problems I am having are:

1) All services just shutdown. POP, IMAP, and Webmail.
But the KMS service doesn’t fail. And the server is running fine. 6% percent of one processor (has four). Reboot fixes it.
2) Webmail hangs on over 50 users. Can not kill connections that have been
connected over four hours. Reboot fixes it.
3) Not very well integrated with AD. Which was the reason we bought Kerio.
Creating an AD account doesn’t create a Mailbox automatically.
4) Public contacts creation. Why can’t we import contacts in a batch file?
We do we have to name them with a Hexadecimal name?
5) What can’t webmail run on a separate server then KMS using Apache or IIS?

I really haven’t received any answers to these questions. We have been told to upgrade to 6.## for the last few months. I am very nervous that my public contacts will go away and I will have the same issues with webmail that I am having now. For the cost Kerio is a good product, but I am not sure if can handle the usage I need.

•  
chadly

I'm very satisfied with KMS. However, with the release of 6.0 there have definately been some growing pains. 5.7 was rock solid, but 6.0 had a lot of bugs. I'm on 6.0.10 now and things are really starting to run smoothly. It's just like any new software release, there's going to be bugs in initial version, and 6.0 had to be a HUGE undertaking. The Outlook connector (KOC) alone had to be a huge pain to write. KOC was unusable with 6.0 release, but 6.0.10 has the majority of the bugs worked out. Still not perfect intergration with Outlook, but pretty darn good.

Reliability wasn't good with 6.0 release. I had several server crashes, but with latest release, I haven't had any problems. 5.7 was rock solid, and I'm convinced Kerio will get to that level again with 6.+ Just make sure you have a test server and test every release before putting it into production.

No real performance issues. I've read posts on forum of slow KOC performance and web interface performance. KOC for us isn't bad at all. I migrated from an Exchange 5.5 server (Pentium3 800mhz, 512meg RAM) and Outlook perforance is better on KMS (Athlon 1800+, 1gig RAM). Web interface is slow, but I don't know of ANY web interface that is as fast as a rich client. That's a lot to ask. Considering how complex and rich the KMS web interface is, I'd give it an excellent rating, it's really a gorgeous interface. Little slow, but managable. I've also heard that in 6.1 release there will be an option for web interface login for rich interface or simple. The simple one being much faster.

All the features on this server work very well together. The exception is the backup feature on Linux systems. This is because of some 2gig barrier, but I think that's been fixed. This is a very tight package. There is a lot of functionality that is very cleanly put together in the admin interface, so it is a very easy system to administer.

Mixed views on tech support. In most cases I've been very happy. There's only one incident that I had trouble getting a response on, but it wasn't a critical one. If it's a critical issue, they're there for you.

Yes, I'd purchase KMS again, however, my timing was bad. I purchased 5.7, 6.0 came out a few months later, and I've been fighting 6.0 bugs for a while. But looks like we're pretty much out of the woods now.

My system is Redhat 9.0, AMD Athlon 1800+, 1gig RAM, 40 Users (25 KOC, 15 IMAP via Apple Mail)

As far as I know, if you are looking for AD integration, it doesn't matter what OS you run Kerio on. AD plugin is installed on your AD server. I don't use AD on Kerio, so I can't give you any feedback on how well it works, but from the downloadable manual, it looks like it is pretty seemless. So for anyone trying to deside which platform to run Kerio on, our experience with with Red Hat/Fedora has been good. Install is very easy and you don't have to be a total Linux geek to do it. We considered Xserve as well, but at the time, Linux box was cheaper. Windows box wasn't a consideration for us because of high cost of licensing and sick of dealing with security issues. If you want super easy OS to admin, OS X on Xserve, if you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty with Linux skills, Redhat/Fedora, but if you must run Windows, I've heard Kerio runs on it quite well.

Hope this helps!
  •  
bperkins

pxh11 wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 13:04

1) All services just shutdown. POP, IMAP, and Webmail.
But the KMS service doesn’t fail. And the server is running fine. 6% percent of one processor (has four). Reboot fixes it.

pxh11, are these SSL services? POPS, IMAPS, HTTPS instead of POP, IMAP, and HTTP? The reason I ask is because when I was back on 5.7.x series, all the secure services would stop for no reason. The KMS process would still be running. I would have to restart KMS to get the secure services back up and running (stoping and restarting the individual service did not work).

Kerio finally fixed the problem in a build after 5.7.10 that they gave me. Apparently the SSL library was an old one that they were using. Since 6.0.0 was after 5.7.10 there was never an official release with this fix in the 5.7.x series.

If this is your problem, you can probably get a fix for this from Kerio in an archive.

BP
  •  
bperkins

I second "chadly's" remarks, very well put. I'm on Redhat Linux also.

6.0.10? Did you get a pre-release? If so, are the bugs in 6.0.9 fixed?

BP
  •  
chadly

bperkins wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 19:51

I second "chadly's" remarks, very well put. I'm on Redhat Linux also.

6.0.10? Did you get a pre-release? If so, are the bugs in 6.0.9 fixed?

BP

Yes, I'm one of the special ones. ;) 6.0.10 for Linux has actually been done for a while. I think they're still working on Windows version. I had one particular bug that support figured 6.0.10 would fix, so they gave it to me. Sure enough 6.0.10 fixed it. Bug was problem with corrupt index file on one of my user's mail subfolder. When trying to delete from subfolder, it would lock up Outlook. Problem solved.
  •  
bperkins

My major 6.0.9 bug was webmail losing the connection with the server. When you hit send, it would just give you a blank page (under heavy load).

Support has told me this is fixed in 6.0.10. So, I'm looking forward to the release. My major bugs were fixed in 6.0.9, but couldn't use it due to the webmail bug. So, I'm stuck on 6.0.8 until they release 6.0.10.

Just curious how the pre-release was going for you since you are on Redhat also.

Thanks!
BP
  •  
chadly

bperkins wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 20:15

My major 6.0.9 bug was webmail losing the connection with the server. When you hit send, it would just give you a blank page (under heavy load).

Support has told me this is fixed in 6.0.10. So, I'm looking forward to the release. My major bugs were fixed in 6.0.9, but couldn't use it due to the webmail bug. So, I'm stuck on 6.0.8 until they release 6.0.10.

Just curious how the pre-release was going for you since you are on Redhat also.

Thanks!
BP

So far so good, 6.0.10 has fixed my outstanding bugs. I didn't have problem with web interface in 6.0.9, so I couldn't tell you if it was actually solved with 6.0.10. I don't typically have much load on web interface. My users are typically connected via KOC or IMAP all day long. My offsite users only use web interface when they don't have their own computer, such as at an internet cafe. If they have their own computer, they connect remotely via secure IMAP and SMTP, on Apple Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird. No VPN needed. This works great!

FYI - I'm betting you'll see 6.0.10 available within a day or so, so my sources say. ;)
  •  
bperkins

Looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing your experience with 6.0.10.

Take care,
BP
  •  
alaskacpu

Great Comments,

We use Windows2000 Adv Server - AD with Kerio 6.0.9 and for the most part - it's working pretty good.

You don't have to use AD integration - it's just as easy to use the import and import users - if you have several domains.

The Webmail - has several problems - but these tend to be noticable - when many users are using it at the same time.

The outlook connector - sometimes has to be reinstalled on several computers - due to a KOC error - just reinstall the mapi driver solves this.

The speed of outlook - when scrolling through emails tend to be slow - pause - as it looks up more information - every time you click on anything! This would be a great fix - if this can be improved!

Over All - it's still a better system than Exchange2000 - at least for us. We currently have over 100 accounts - approximately 106GBs of data! Can't imagine having thousands of accounts - what huge task to get tangled in!

Will be looking forward to the next update! The more we explain ourselves - the problems we appear to be having - the better they can support us!

Regards
Mike

USA Rocks the World!
  •  
pxh11

BP
All services fail. At first we had the secured ones running, but when all services started to fail we shut the secured ones down and just had the unsecured ones running. This really didn’t matter since the services kept shutting down. The solution support gave us was to upgrade which we are planning on doing. I just want to be prepared before hand due to our number of users. With the upgrade I do not know if I plan on running both unsecured and secured services on KMS. I know I will only run secure Webmail. I am glad that Kerio made it so that only secure Webmail can change passwords in 6.0.10.
  •  
bperkins

pxh11,

Ok, just wanted to make sure.

I am currently running a prerelease of 6.0.10 and it is by far the best release of the 6.0.x series. If you plan to upgrade to 6.x.x from 5.x.x, this is the best release to do it. I think they've done a good job with 6.0.10.

I think the official release is Wednesday (haven't heard officially, just by reading the forum).

cbdudley

We're using Kerio 6.0.9 on a dedicated RHEL 3.0 server, with approximately 125 users. Most are running Mozilla Thunderbird, but a few use only Webmail. We are not using the Microsoft Outbreak Connector or AD integration.

We purchased the product 14 months ago, and our installation has been absolutely rock-solid. There have been no crashes or other stability problems on the server. I would strongly recommend running KMS on a Linux or a Mac server.

My wish list (not including stuff I know is coming in 6.1):

1) Better performance of Webmail with large mailboxes.
2) More choices for antivirus plugins under Linux. I've been waiting over a year for CA eTrust support.
3) More flexibility in scripting (particularly string substitution for sender, subject and attachment names).
4) Multi-level spam filtering options (i.e. quarantine if score is within a certain range, delete if score is higher).
5) LDAP support for Thunderbird and other mail clients.

We have recently added a Barracuda Spam Firewall in front of the Kerio mailserver. With this combination, on average less than 10 spam messages per day get through, out of 2500-3000 e-mails.

Kerio tech support has been responsive, although I have not had to contact them very often.

We are very happy with the product overall, and I would buy it again.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 May 2005 06:15]

Previous Topic: Kerio 6.0.9 / Linux crashes when I open my IMAP Inbox
Next Topic: KMS 6.0.9 Active Connections Left Open
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 02:14:02 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00593 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.