Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » ERROR??? while connecting to console
  •  
svenlohuis

Send a private message to this user
canot connect to kerio mailserver (*******) authentication faild

This is the error I just got... I use 6.09 and 5 days ago I have upgraded my kerio from 6.08 to 6.09 and some hours ago when I tryd to connect to the admin console he gave this error...

Can anyone tell me what it means and ho to fix it?

regards..
  •  
dbott

It could be a few things. Check this document http://support.kerio.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=q uestiondetails&_i=82&nav=+%26gt%3B+%3Ca+href%3D%27in dex.php%3F_a%3Dknowledgebase%26_j%3Dsubcat%26_i%3D1%27%3EKer io+MailServer%3C%2Fa%3E

It's possible that your password is corrupt. Try changing resetting the administrator password:

The password for an administrator account can be reset by modifying some settings in the users.cfg file.

1. Stop the engine for Kerio MailServer by right clicking on the engine monitor icon in the systray and selecting 'Stop Kerio MailServer'.
2. Navigate to the directory Kerio MailServer is installed in. Kerio MailServer by default is installed here: C:\Program Files\Kerio\Mailserver.
3. Edit the file users.cfg with notepad.exe or wordpad.exe.
4. Look for the name of the administrator user account in the list item <variable name="Name">.
5. Navigate to <variable name="password"> beneath the administrator's name. Delete the current value between the >< symbols for "password".
6. Type in "NUL:" without the quotation marks. This assigns that user account a blank password. It should look similar to this: <variable name="password">NUL:</variable>
7. Save the users.cfg file and restart the Kerio MailServer engine.
8. Try to log in to the administrator account without a password in the password field. You should now be able to log in.

Be sure to assign the administrator account a password right away.

-Dave
  •  
-nob-

I have the same Problem. Yesterday i set up 100 Users, made a lot of settings. Today i cant login with the Kerio Administration Console, Cannot connect, Authentication failed.

Then i changed the password for the Administratior to "NUL:", same Error. What the h... is this?

Server and Client OS X 10.4.7.

oh well, i found it out. For testing purposes i set up a local domain, created the admin. Yesterday i configured it for the customer with the right domain-name. Have to set Admin<_at_>xxx.xx as a Username.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 July 2006 13:43]

•  
Kerio_jthomas

Hello -nob-,

Is your auth_type set to '0'? If it is set to a different value you are using a directory service, and KMS is still trying to read the password from the directory service.

I guess I need to update that article.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
-nob-

:)

right. It was my fault. With the <_at_>domain.extension it works find.

Thanks.
  •  
roblef

dbott wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 21:48

It could be a few things. Check this document http://support.kerio.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=q uestiondetails&_i=82&nav=+%26gt%3B+%3Ca+href%3D%27in dex.php%3F_a%3Dknowledgebase%26_j%3Dsubcat%26_i%3D1%27%3EKer io+MailServer%3C%2Fa%3E

It's possible that your password is corrupt. Try changing resetting the administrator password:

The password for an administrator account can be reset by modifying some settings in the users.cfg file.

1. Stop the engine for Kerio MailServer by right clicking on the engine monitor icon in the systray and selecting 'Stop Kerio MailServer'.
2. Navigate to the directory Kerio MailServer is installed in. Kerio MailServer by default is installed here: C:\Program Files\Kerio\Mailserver.
3. Edit the file users.cfg with notepad.exe or wordpad.exe.
4. Look for the name of the administrator user account in the list item <variable name="Name">.
5. Navigate to <variable name="password"> beneath the administrator's name. Delete the current value between the >< symbols for "password".
6. Type in "NUL:" without the quotation marks. This assigns that user account a blank password. It should look similar to this: <variable name="password">NUL:</variable>
7. Save the users.cfg file and restart the Kerio MailServer engine.
8. Try to log in to the administrator account without a password in the password field. You should now be able to log in.

Be sure to assign the administrator account a password right away.

-Dave

Hi there!

I think I'm experiencing the same issue, but I cannot find a users.cfg file. Another thread said to open the mailserver.cfg file, which I found, but seems to contain no text. I'm running on 10.3.9, is that the issue? I do need to login to the Admin Console, but can't seem to resolve my authentication error. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rob
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

The article has been updated since these original posts:

http://support.kerio.com/kb/10

On OS X/Linux, you must be logged into the system as the root user. Or do this through terminal and do a sudo bash to become the root user.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
Previous Topic: Syncing with Motorola Q from Verizon
Next Topic: Treo 700p syncronization with OS X
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 16:46:41 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00485 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.