Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Setting computers so they open mailto links in Kerio?
  •  
TechFan

Send a private message to this user
Is it possible to set the mailto: links to open in Kerio webmail? I would be very interested in that option if it is available or someone has done it. . .thanks.
  •  
peterj

I dont think this would be possible as the mailto: link uses the default mapi provider to compose a message.

I can't see how you could have a web interface (particularly as login is required) be the 'mail client'

•  
TechFan

I know it is possible, but I don't know if the webmail itself needs to accept certain variables to have it work. . .it would be excellent since if we go with Kerio we plan on having all our users use the webmail interface. . .

Check out these links I found showing it being done. . .

http://www.k12usa.com/mailto.asp

http://netwinsite.com/webmail/faq/faq_mailto.htm
  •  
peterj

These links basically provide reg files to add a mapi provider into the registry which can be made default.

However this would not be possible with Kerio

The mailto request just opens this link

http://www.k12usa.com/webmail2/send.asp?mte=1&data=mailt o:

This can't be done in KMS AFAIK as you can only access the login PHP page as I already said.
  •  
TechFan

Yes, I see how it calls a certain webpage, but if other webmail providers can do it, then I would assume it should be possible. . .In other words you are saying this would need to be a Feature Request. . .to allow a mailto link to start an email (after you login if you weren't already). Seem like a great feature to me. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard implement. . .depending on how the logins are processed now. . .

If the php code just wasn't encoded, I could probably "fix" it myself. . .

[Updated on: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:58]

•  
dbott

TechFan wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 23:31

Is it possible to set the mailto: links to open in Kerio webmail? I would be very interested in that option if it is available or someone has done it. . .thanks.

I've come pretty close, although I'm not a programmer and have a couple of quirks (such as the e-mail address being pre-pended with the mailto: link). Anyhow, maybe we can use this as a starting point and someone with some real skill can finish the job for me:

Step 1:

Create a text file called kms_mailto.reg and paste the following text into it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Kerio]
<_at_>="Kerio 6"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Kerio\Protocols]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Kerio\Protocols\mailto]
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Kerio\Protocols\mailto\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Kerio\Protocols\mailto\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Kerio\Protocols\mailto\shell\open\command]
<_at_>="firefox.exe \"http://webmail.yourdomain.com/default/mailCompose.php?mailTo=%1&\""

Save the file and then double-click it to merge it into the registry.

Note: You can replace the "firefox.exe" command with "explorer.exe" if you use IE.

Step 2:

From within Internet Explorer, you'll need to change the default mail handling application:
a. Select TOOLS | INTERNET OPTIONS
b. Click on the PROGRAMS tab
c. Change the E-MAIL program to KERIO 6 from the drop-down list
d. Click APPLY > OK

Note: Even if you don't use IE, this is where you change the default mail-handler.

Another problem is that the user has to be logged in to Webmail in order for this to work (which is why i'm using Firefox --- one tab always has my Webmail opened & logged in).

-Dave

PS - it looks like the forums replace the 'at sign' with <_at_>, so you'll need to fix that part in the registry code.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2005 21:43]

•  
TechFan

Yes. I got it particially working as well. . .the problem is that if it requires the user to be logged in already it doesn't make a good mailto: solution. If Kerio changed the code that requires that they close the window because they are not logged in. . .to something that lets them login and proceed, then this work work fine.

I am evaluating Kerio and thinking about recommending it to our administration but I still have more issues to figure out and address. This one seems small, but even small issues have to appear important to the programmers or they don't ever happen. I am still new here, I don't even know who the Kerio employees on the forum are.

I also have to figure out the antivirus options / prices as well.
  •  
argd

Hello everybody! So, is the problem still the same or there is some official solution?

I've solved this problem for me with using registry modifying as above in this thread, WSH scripting and some changes in mailCompose.php (to add Cc, Bcc, Subj and Body text to new messages).

But i don't understand - why there is no official realization?
  •  
brsamuel

F.Y.I. ...

Firefox 3, now in beta, appears to offer a similar kind of functionality. Have not tried it myself however.

•  
winkelman

argd wrote on Mon, 29 October 2007 13:16

But i don't understand - why there is no official realization?

Good question! I've got to the point where I've added to the registry to include a 'Kerio Webmail' option (in Internet Options --> Programs --> Email), but as long as Kerio can't parse the mailto URL variable, it's of no use. I'm reluctant to start hacking into Kerio's php-code myself as you did.
  •  
argd

brsamuel wrote on Tue, 20 November 2007 14:00

Firefox 3, now in beta, appears to offer a similar kind of functionality.

maybe, but Kerio webmail php code parses only 'mailTo' field, not cc, bcc, subj and body.

•  
danoli

Anytime now would be a good time for a Kerio tech support person to jump in and make a few comments.. Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Thu, 22 November 2007 00:55]

•  
argd

danoli wrote on Thu, 22 November 2007 00:54

Anytime now would be a good time for a Kerio tech support person to jump in and make a few comments.. Rolling Eyes

danoli, yes, u r right...
there are no official comments so i just afraid of publication my solution...

•  
brose

the fields exist in the php script, but they just don't work.
the full link should be:

http://mailwebsite/default/mailCompose.php?mailTo= [to]&mailCc=[cc]&mailBcc=[bcc]&mailSubj=[subject ]&mailBody=[body]&allowHtml=true[/B]
*is there is a space in the above line delete it (FUDcode breaks this post)
for firefox,just add a
&allowHtml=true
at then end of the previous link (I am not sure this is needed in FF3).

[Updated on: Thu, 17 July 2008 16:44]

-Brian
=:~)
warwickrs

If anyone is still interested in this, I have put together a little intermediate app that will do the job quite nicely under Windows. The "to" address is filled in correctly, but other fields (subject/cc/bcc are not handled as Kerio doesn't have any way of getting those in as far as I can tell)

Basically, on the first run it modifies the registry to set itself up as a mailto handler. After that, mailto links will call this app, which strips the "mailto:" prefix and launches the compose window in a new tab in either IE or Firefox.

I used AutoIt, which is a free Windows script editor that can compile *small* standalone executable (this one compiles to 285k on my box). The code is all there if you want to check it/improve on it.

To build, you'll need to:
- download and install AutoIt (http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/downloads.shtml)
- cut-n-paste (substitute '<_a.t_>') or download the attached script (if you can't be bothered)
- edit the script to insert your Kerio server's URL
- run "AutoIt V3/Compile script to .exe" then convert the kerio-mailto.au3 to kerio-mailto.exe

To use, you'll need to:
- save the kerio-mailto.exe to somewhere on your had disk
- run kerio-mailto.exe to update your registry and follow the instructons

; -------------------------------------------------
; kerio-mailto
; Script to launch Kerio compose window in Internet Explorer or Firefox
; Author: Warwick Smith

; Set this to your Kerio WebMail URL
$BASEURL = "http://mykerio.mydomain.com.au"

#NoTrayIcon
AutoItSetOption("WinDetectHiddenText", 1)
AutoItSetOption("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)

$APPTITLE = "Kerio Mailto Handler"
$BASEREG = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Kerio WebMail"

; Make sure the registry is setup
$REG_CHECK = RegRead($BASEREG & "\Shell\open\command", "")
If StringInStr ( $REG_CHECK, <_a.t_>AutoItExe) == 0 Then
	; Get the URL of the Kerio mail server
	RegWrite ( $BASEREG, "", "REG_SZ", "Kerio WebMail")
	RegWrite ( $BASEREG & "\Protocols")
	RegWrite ( $BASEREG & "\Protocols\mailto")
	RegWrite ( $BASEREG & "\Protocols\mailto\shell")
	RegWrite ( $BASEREG & "\Protocols\mailto\shell\open")
	RegWrite ( $BASEREG & "\Protocols\mailto\shell\open\command", "", "REG_SZ", """" & <_a.t_>AutoItExe & """ %1" )	
	RegWrite ( $BASEREG & "\Shell")
	RegWrite ( $BASEREG & "\Shell\open")
	RegWrite ( $BASEREG & "\Shell\open\command", "", "REG_SZ", """" & <_a.t_>AutoItExe & """ %1" )	

msgbox (0, $APPTITLE, "Your registry settings have been updated." & <_a.t_>LF & <_a.t_>LF & _
				"In Internet Explorer:" & <_a.t_>LF & _
				"- select Tools, Internet Options, then Programs (tab)" & <_a.t_>LF & _
				"- change 'E-mail:' to 'Kerio WebMail'" & <_a.t_>LF & _
				"- click OK, then close all browser windows" & <_a.t_>LF & <_a.t_>LF & _
				"On restart, web page mailto links should now use Kerio WebMail")
	Exit
EndIf

; Get the mailto info from the command line param #1
$MAILTO=StringReplace($CmdLine[1], "mailto:", "")
$URL = $BASEURL & "/webmail/mailCompose.php?allowHtml=true&allowUpload=true&mailTo=" & $MAILTO

; Get handle to IE window with Kerio WebMail tab
$IE_HANDLE = WinGetHandle("- Windows Internet Explorer", "| WebMail")

; Get handle to Firefox window (can't detect WebMail tab unfortunately)
$FF_HANDLE = WinGetHandle("- Mozilla Firefox", "")

; Show compose window in IE if using that for Kerio
$LAUNCHED = 0
If $IE_HANDLE <> "" Then
	WinActivate( $IE_HANDLE )
	Send ("^t")      ; new tab
	sleep (500)
	ControlSetText( $IE_HANDLE, "", "[CLASS:Edit; INSTANCE:1]", $URL) ; set URL
	Send ("{ENTER}") ; press enter
	$LAUNCHED=1

; Show compose window in Firefox
ElseIf WinExists("- Mozilla Firefox") Then
	ShellExecute( "firefox.exe", $URL)
	$LAUNCHED=1
EndIf

if $LAUNCHED <> 1 Then
	MsgBox (48, $APPTITLE, "Could not launch compose window - are you logged into Kerio?")
EndIf

Hope this helps!!

Previous Topic: Mail Signatures only for mobiles?
Next Topic: Kerio Change Notification Emails
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Jun 23 22:42:14 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00544 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.