Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Synch or Connector.
  •  
jonbrain

Send a private message to this user
Unfortunately I do not have the resources to run the beta as well as 6.0.10, but I would love to no more about the Synch and Outlook Connector.

If you use the Synch instead, if you have a POP 3 mailbox will this be synched back to the server? Will you be able to see all your mail in the correct folder via Webmail?

I was under the impression 6.1 would have an improved Connector but it now seems to be offering to completely different ways of connecting. Whats the advantages and disadvantages of each?
  •  
peterj

Hi John,

Not looking good (at least from my perspective)

It appears that you connect to Kerio using IMAP or POP3 and the sync addon will only sync calendar & contact folders.

IT DOES NOT SYNC EMAIL!!!!!

I can't believe this - I was told it would sync your mailbox with the server to provide offline access.

Now I gather that you either need an separate folder list for IMAP (That'll confuse the users) or you need to use POP3 and therefore your mail is stored locally and not backed up on the server.

I CANT BELIEVE THAT AFTER A YEAR THIS IS WHAT THEY OFFER US.

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME I'M WRONG!!!!!
  •  
jonbrain

Hi Peter

I can't believe this either, it is completely useless to me!

Very, very dissapointed if this is the case, from what Iv read definitely looks this way.
  •  
Soup

[edit] I think I may have mis-read this thread, so let me re-phrase....

Can email now be viewed offline using KOC and Outlook as has been promised for so long?

Paul.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2005 23:08]

3 x Apple Xserve G5 DP2.3
1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
tekfal23

The only way this can be a mixup is if the beta version doesn't have the full functionality that the final version will. Otherwise, this is completely worthless as it is. Who cares if you can sync your calendar with webmail but not your e-mails? We've all been lied to.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

What's wrong with IMAP?
Your e-mails will be synchronized with KMS (and WebMail) by this protocol. Every type of "off-line" synchronization will do it same way as IMAP.

I think nobody (except Microsoft) can implement full functionality of Outlook by some plug-in or add-in. The truth is that Outlook interface is very poorly documented (intentionally) and there are many undocumented features in Outlook.
  •  
tekfal23

If I use IMAP don't I have to manually sync my folders? If that is true, it isn't exactly as promised is it?
  •  
Soup

Hi pavel,

I tried IMAP on our users and after moving from an exchange server they found it very frustrating. For a start in Outlook the IMAP account does not seem to be used as the default account, so for instance the main INBOX / SENT ITEMS etc do not populate with email from the IMAP account and the email has to be seen by clicking a link further down the mailbox list.

Maybe there is a better way to make IMAP work in Outlook?

Also, the whole thing about having to purge deleted items etc is a pain for uses who have come from an exchange invorinment where a message is deleted by pressing delete :)

Can you confirm if KOC will still lock Outlook when a laptop is away from the network?

Thanks

paul.

3 x Apple Xserve G5 DP2.3
1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
peterj

WHAT'S WRONG WITH IMAP? - WHAT A BLOODY IMPETUOUS QUESTION!!!

----IT'S NOT WHAT WE'VE BEEN PAYING FOR THATS WHAT-----

1) You get two sets of folders in the OL folder list
(Email in One and Cal/Contacts in the other)

2) Have have to cope with the IMAP message deletion model

3) IMAP folders aren't available offline.

4) We don't get the bayes training toolbar buttons

5) We don't have access to any custom folders in the public folders (We have half a dozen calendars in our public folders!)

6) If we use IMAP we don't have the OL interface options to manage our mailbox rules or our spam whitelists (presumably)

& LASTLY - It isn't what we've been promised!!!

What we need is offline mode for the KOC - UNBELIEVABLE
  •  
J-ITS

Interesting to see how easy it is to criticize, rather than make suggestions for improvement.

I agree that IMAP is not ideal, and does not come close to the "caching" that kerio has talked about. I think what we're looking for is an outlook (or not outlook) utility that automatically synchronizes the .pst file with the user's Kerio Mailbox. This should be done in the background, automatically, and it should only update (not transfer the whole .pst back and forth). This was my understanding of what was going to happen. Hopefully Kerio, you can make it happen. Our users would really love to be able to synchronize their blackberries again.
  •  
peterj

There is no need to make suggestions

Kerio know exactly what the customers want/need & you have just described it exactly!!!

I'm beginning to wonder if you are a Kerio plant or something..!

Perhaps if you had been waiting for 6.1 for a year, been lied to & promised that 6.1 would resolve all the problems (Having told your users/customers this also) only to discover that this feeble add-on is what they have actually been cooking up.

I think it's a disgrace frankly.
  •  
J-ITS

lol. I suppose I am sounding quite like the Kerio Advocate, but I assure you, it is only a result of my happiness with the product.

In your defence, if I was waiting a year for 6.1 then I would be frustrated as well. For us... we installed Kerio, realized it doesn't support caching, and are willing to accept a July release for it. I will wait till a final release before getting worked up. Until then, I will do my best to give feedback to Kerio that will help create the product we're all looking for.
  •  
peterj

I think the issue is that we are seeing what will be released in July August.

& having waited all this time for it it's not what we were expecting to get at all.

The delays were already hard to accept when we believed the problem would be solved.

How do you feel about what you will get in July/Aug? Do you really think that there will be offline mode/caching as you (and everyone else) wants?

It seems to me that you are being blindly optimistic. (Fair enough but after Kerio have let you down a few times this will stop!)

•  
J-ITS

Our company has a $5,000,000 per year budget on IT. With that said, I don't get worked up about a product not working as promised. I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, if in a few months there is not proper caching, Kerio won't see any of that $5,000,000 for more user licenses. (we currently have 120, but would likely purchase another 400-500, if caching worked). That is the way we operate :)
peterj

Exactly my point!!

What makes you think there is now any chance of getting caching in the next few months?

Unless Kerio are just playing a little joke on their customers with this poor sync addon there is no chance.

All Kerio will want to do between now & July is iron out the bugs that the changes in 6.1 will have introduced
Previous Topic: KMS 6.1 Beta SCREENSHOTS - For those who can't test it yet!!
Next Topic: Understanding AV plugins. . .on windows. . .
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 15:36:00 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00553 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.