Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Who do I have to kill? (KMS 6.1 feature request AGAIN)
  •  
jshaw541

Send a private message to this user
Who at Kerio do I have to kill for this feature request? I've made it time and time again and it's fallen on deaf ears. Your competitors have it, why don't you?

To be serious on the spam front, KMS needs to allow admins the option of discarding messages with a score greater than y. We already have option x, we use it to mark messages at spam, but additionally, we need a level above that that allows us to take further action, if we desire.

More expertly illustrated with the power of MS Paint at:
http://people.sps.lane.edu/jshaw/temp/kms-gripe.jpg

KMS is totally unsuitable for spam fighting in large, modern organizations. We NEED the OPTION to blackhole obvious spam. Marking messages as spam is great, yet the users still complain when they have a bunch of "***SPAM*** hot hairless pre-teen cum shots" emails in their mailboxes.

Please not that the "If message was rejected by custom deny" section does not apply here, nor do custom filter rules. All of these are accomplished BEFORE the final SpamAssassin score is applied to the message, and thus before the spam headers are injected into the message.

Currently, I have to maintain a whole separate spamassassin/amavisd-new box to perform this functionality, because KMS does not.

Sorry to rant, I love Kerio, but it's getting ridiculous that this feature still hasn't been implemented when nearly everyone else has it.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
peterj

This is something else that has been promised & looks like it has been missed (at least it's not in the beta)

I'm sure this would be simple to implement - just need two thresholds with actions as you suggest.

Effectively a suspected spam action & a definitely (or confident at least) action.

•  
jshaw541

More information:

amavisd-new, the leading open-source spam solution (it uses SpamAssassin functionality and adds onto it) performs multi-level spam processing using the following variables:

# marks messages as spam if score is >=4.9
$sa_tag2_level_deflt = 4.9; # add 'spam detected' headers at that level

# drops/bounces/rejects spam if score is >=8.0
$sa_kill_level_deflt = 8.0; # triggers spam evasive actions
# at or above that level: bounce/reject/drop,
# quarantine, and adding mail address extension

# doesn't send supposed sender a delivery status notification
# if score is >=10
$sa_dsn_cutoff_level = 10; # spam level beyond which a DSN is not sent,
# effectively turning D_BOUNCE into D_DISCARD;
# undef disables this feature and is a default;

I'd be happy with just the $sa_kill_level_deflt sort of functionality, in addition to the initial spam tagging.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Hi Peter,

I just checked, and this is in our suggestion database.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
jshaw541

Kerio_jthomas wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 15:44

Hi Peter,

I just checked, and this is in our suggestion database.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

I probably first submitted this feature request 2 years ago, but when is Kerio going to implement it in KMS?

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
dbott

jshaw541 wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 13:22

KMS is totally unsuitable for spam fighting in large, modern organizations...

Sorry to rant, I love Kerio...

Hey jshaw541,

I've come up with a pretty good way to deal with spam. Like you, I would like to see a multi-level spam filter, but until then this is what I've been doing for the last few years and it works great.

We are not a large organization (only about 130 users), nor do we receive a huge amount of e-mail per month (about 30,000 messages... about 22,000 of which are spam). The spam filter is currently set to 5.0 and I'm using the free blacklists under the SMTP tab.

I just upgraded from 5.7.10 to 6.0.8 about a month ago, and then just upgraded to 6.0.10. In 5.7.10, I created customized "bounce" messages to deal with spam and e-mails with restricted attachments (.exe, .bat, .com, .pif, etc.) and I just copied them over to KMS 6. At present, I'm getting about 4 or 5 spams making it past the spam filter and virtually zero false postives. Same thing for viruses vs. legitimate attachments.

In a nutshell, the bounced messages are sent back to the sender with a note stating that their e-mail is considered spam, followed by a set of instructions as to how to bypass the filter (by using a unique subject line that I've allowed to bypass the filter). Same thing for attachments.

I've spelled out the entire procedure in this post:

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=21691&S =2f013c810598b48ff9750c6f840aaaba#msg_21691

I hope this helps.

-Dave

[Updated on: Thu, 19 May 2005 04:04]

•  
jshaw541

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately your methods won't really work for us. We have ~2,000 users and I'm just trying to stop spam from reaching user's mailboxes.

We're pretty strict and block out most types of attachments and run them through two separate virus filters (McAfee and ClamAV).

Malware I'm not worried about. The sheer amount of spam we get is what I am concerned about. Kerio customers need a way to reduce that vector by having the in-built ability to discard/quarantine/drop messages that are obviously (eg. an arbitrarily high score) spam.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
TechFan

jshaw,

You have ClamAV scanning on another box? Or you have it working directly with Kerio on the same box? I assume Redhat?
  •  
jshaw541

TechFan wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 04:43

jshaw,

You have ClamAV scanning on another box? Or you have it working directly with Kerio on the same box? I assume Redhat?

I have ClamAV on another mail relay I must keep running, due to KMS's current inability to quarantine spam in a proper way. It's a Debian Sarge box running postfix/amavisd-new/spamassassin/clamav.

I would love to see KMS support ClamAV, maybe that's a feature request for a post 6.1.0 release. I'll submit it now.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Previous Topic: 6.1.0 install problem on Linux
Next Topic: Possible for others to admin their own mailing lists?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 14:23:47 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00490 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.