Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migrating from another mail server/webmail?
  •  
TechFan

Send a private message to this user
I have heard that Kerio made it easy to migrate from Exchange to Kerio. . .but from I can tell, they have made it hard to migrate from any other webmail/mail server. . .

How am I supposed to transfer all my users messages to their new mailboxes if we were to purchase Kerio? It would be great if Kerio could just import all mail from another IMAP based server. I could setup POP3 for each user and get their inbox. . .but then they wouldn't get all their other folders. They do not have access to any desktop email software, so the only option I see at the moment is setting up each user in OE or Thunderbird on another machine and have them come to my office and enter their passwords so I could move their messages manually. . .not a good solution.

Another migration headache is users addressbooks. They currently use a simple webmail that lets them import/export their addressbook to/from Outlook Express. . .I don't see any feature for importing contacts at all (even if it was just name and email address)??

On a side note, I just discovered today that Kerio won't search message bodies even via IMAP (even with Beta5). . .unfortunately, that looks like a show stopper. It looks like I will have to go back and evaluate more solutions.
  •  
peterj

Not forgetting the lack fo offline access & slow/buggy KOC.

I assume if you were to use KMS you would continue to only use IMAP?

What is your opinion on the best KMS alternatives.

It has been suggested that I move to MDaemon & I think the speed & stability (plus offline caching) is fantastic & beats Kerio hands down but I'm not keen on the admin console.

(Actually I have just realised there is a simple admin mode..)

Perhaps I will install it again.

What other mail servers are on your shortlist?
  •  
TechFan

We actually do not use Outlook in our environment so the KOC issues and lack of offline access aren't major factors. A few people use POP3/IMAP in OE, but 95% of the users are limited entirely to webmail. Our current webmail is a nice package but quite limited. It does have a calendar so that is actually nice, but the contacts leave a lot to be desired (only name, email, note). . .

We prefer to use IMAP because all mail is centrally stored/backed up. I don't want to have to setup a mail client for every user in our environment (90% thinclients). I also don't see the issue with IMAP being the actual offline mail method. . .it can be set to automatically download messages to local computer. . .and they all stay on the server. I haven't seen the Outlook interface yet since I am actually having trouble starting Outlook on my machine (yes, I use it about once a year if I have to).

> What is your opinion on the best KMS alternatives.

That all depends on your priorities. . .my primary search has been for a thick client email replacement web interface and KMS has done quite a good job with a few general oversights (search of subject in 6.0.10 can't be the last part of a word), etc.

From what I see, migration from our current mail setup would be a HUGE chore though because quite a few of the features can only be accessed by using the Outlook client and the addon (address book import, etc). It would be so much better to be able to specify that each user grab their mail via IMAP from the current server and have it copied into their KMS mail store. The other HUGE issue with the current method I am testing (copying messages via IMAP in Thunderbird from old server to new) is that the date of the message is changed to show the date the message was copied rather than received. That is in the webmail at least. via IMAP in Thunderbird, the dates are still the same. Another oversight it seems. . .I know they are trying to capture the Exchange market. . .

I am evaluating MDaemon. Our current mail is on a Linux appliance Qube3, so we might actually replace the box with a standard desktop machine running debian and use all free opensource mail/spam/av/filtering software. I wish I could find a web interface that was like KMS that could run in that situation. . .

We have looked at exchange briefly, but the cost has kept that eval short.
  •  
jshaw541

TechFan wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 07:54

Our current mail is on a Linux appliance Qube3, so we might actually replace the box with a standard desktop machine running debian and use all free opensource mail/spam/av/filtering software. I wish I could find a web interface that was like KMS that could run in that situation. . .

You should take a look at webmin (extremely easy to install on Debian). It gives you a usable administrative web GUI for most OSS mail components. Of course, the interface isn't as polished as Kerio's, but you give and you take.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
TechFan

Thanks, but I am talking about the webmail interface for the users actually. . .yes, I would probably use webmin for administration.
  •  
jshaw541

TechFan wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 15:11

Thanks, but I am talking about the webmail interface for the users actually. . .yes, I would probably use webmin for administration.

There's always Squirrelmail. Relatively easy to setup, faster than Kerio's webmail, and infinitely expandable. Pretty much the best in the free world.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
desquinn

SM is lean and fast and great but there is also horde (IMP), openexchange, openwebmail and more

Des Quinn
  •  
TechFan

I will check out some of your recommendations. We already have openwebmail. . .it is pretty good, but because of our email appliance, we can't upgrade it. . .and we have some issues. . .can't open PDFs, a very sad contact list, etc.

Since the majority of our users use only webmail, I need the webmail to be close to a software client replacement.
  •  
TechFan

My initial impression of Kerio was good, and I still think it is a good product, but there are definitely some other email servers I recently found and am going to need to evaluate more. Kerio is simple to get setup and I like the active directory addon, it sure makes creating accounts easy. Merak Mail server and MDaemon both have lots more options to configure, though they are a bit more complicated to setup as well. . .I guess we'll see how the evaluation goes with the others. I was ready to buy Kerio with its quirks, but I am no longer so sure it is the best choice.
  •  
Tradey

Interesting, you are evaluating the same servers that I do and seem to come to the same results :-).

Did you test any other server with groupware-functionality despite MDaemon and Merak?
Previous Topic: KOC 6.0.10 can't handle nested Attachments!
Next Topic: Calendar ?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 03:28:30 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00911 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.