Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migration from Kerio
  •  
goose

Send a private message to this user
Guys,

We have a user pool of about 2000 users and were using Kerio for about a year and a half now. Our requirements have changed dramatically and we need to move into a clustered environment, among many other things. As excellent of a email server as Kerio is, it is not able to provide us with some of the key features that we want; so we have decided to move to Exchange 2003. My question to all of you guys is that how can I move all the user data (mail, calendar info, contact info, tasks list, etc.) that is stored in Kerio to Exchange 2003? Any help or reference would be greatly appriciated.

Currently, we have a mix of users that are using IMAP, MAPI and Webmail to access their accounts.

Thank you guys in advance.

Ketan
  •  
wildje

We are currently planning the same migration tour ;) We are most probably migrating by using the SMTP connector once Exchange 2003 is up and running next to KMS.
  •  
wildje

Here is a snippet from the Microsoft migration page:

Exchange Migration Wizard The Exchange Migration Wizard is a tool that you can use to migrate users from a supported messaging system, such as Microsoft Mail for PC Networks, Microsoft Mail for AppleTalk Networks, or Lotus cc:Mail, to Exchange 2003. The Exchange Migration Wizard also supports LDAP and IMAP4, which is very useful if you must migrate from HP OpenMail, Sun ONE (formerly known as Netscape iPlanet), Openwave Email Mx, Alt-n MDaemon, or any other e-mail system that supports LDAP and IMAP4. The Exchange Migration Wizard supports migration by copying existing directory information, mailboxes, and messages and importing that information into Exchange Server 2003, as explained in Chapter 1, "Understanding Interoperability and Migration."
  •  
goose

wildje, is that a tool that Microsoft has provided?? I think I came across a similar tool from Microsoft that talked about migrating using IMAP4. But to tell you the truth, that entire procedure was a bit configure. For that procedure, we need to know the LDAP objects on the Kerio side, which I have no clue what it is.

How are you guys going about doing your migration? If you don't mind sharing, maybe we can find some safe and logical way to do this. I have a lot of data at stake here and I am sure that you have the same.

Ketan
  •  
BootsMan

It will be greate if everybody will share there experience with this tast here. I'm also looking in migrating everything to Exchange 2003.
  •  
goose

It would really be great if someone could point us to the right direction on how to go about migrating the data from Kerio to Exchange 2003.

I would be a bit surprised if someone among us does not know how to do it. I would really appriciate any help. Thank you.

Ketan
  •  
Jason

My guess is that if somebody has migrated, they're not monitoring this board anymore!
  •  
goose

That is a good point you make there Jason. Problem is that there are not many useful resources our there to help people who do want to migrate. Currently, I am finding myself in a position where I can't migrate even if I want to... lol, quite funny to a certain extent. Anyways, hopefully I will find something useful somewhere.
  •  
vandalen

We moved to Exchange 2003 2 months ago. So far great, our users in different parts of the country can connect with the OC Cache with no problem. Works great.
  •  
goose

vandalen, were you guys using Kerio before and migrated to Exchange 2003? If so, can you please tell me how you were able to migrate all the data from Kerio to Exchange 2003? I would really appriciate some help in that issue. Thanks.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 June 2005 00:13]

•  
Jason

Sadly, I think we are going to have to go the migration route to Exchange. I'm just getting hammered on the Outlook Connector performance, and there isn't any firm commitment from Kerio (at least that I've seen) indicating they're addressing this in the forthcoming 6.1.

It looks like the the ExMerge tool from Microsoft (you can download it from their site) can be used to export and import PST files. We have a relatively small company so it shouldn't be too bad of a process (I would hate to migrate 100's of mailboxes, though).
  •  
goose

We have already taken that step. We moved away from Kerio for good. Like you said, there are too many performance issues. Nevertheless, Kerio mail server it self is a really great product, only if they improved on their feature support and performance support.

I tried to use the migration tool that Microsoft provides and tried to migrate using IMAP, but was unsuccessful. Is the tool that you are talking about something else??

goose
  •  
jcannan

For all who are looking for a way to get off Kerio and get onto Exchange 2003, here are some tips:

1. If you are not using the Kerio Outlook Connector you can use the Exchange migration wizard (included with the install of exchange server) to successfully migrate your mail data in.

2. If you are using the Kerio Outlook Connector, then things are a bit harder. The Exchange Migration Wizard won't migrate your calendar and other 'special' folders. Only standard IMAP folders are supported. Seems Microsoft aren't across this one yet. You will have to export everyone's mailboxes from Kerio to PST and then import to Exchange. If you can manage exporting to PST manually, the import can be done in bulk using Microsoft's tool, exmerge. Don't forget the filename has to be the same as the Exchange alias (with a .pst extension) to work.

The migration wizard is really straightforward. The key to making it work is to create a csv file that lists each user to import and what their kerio login is.

The file has a header row (copy the line below) and then you enter each mailbox to migrate.

IMAP_Mailbox,SMTP_Address,IMAP_Password,IMAP_Server
username,user<_at_>smtpaddress,password,x.x.x.x

... and so on.

I would be interested if anyone has a way to export from Kerio the mailboxes to PST files in bulk as this is the only things I haven't worked out how to fix yet.

Cheers,
Justin.
Previous Topic: KMS Bug - mail_avir.cpp: Cannot open work file C:\Program Files\Kerio\MailServer\store/tmp/43200ddd-
Next Topic: Mail Server.... Incoming Attachment Problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 09:40:32 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00582 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.