Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Poll: Kerio Synchronization Plugin - Why or Why Not?
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

As you know, Kerio MailServer 6.1 introduces the Kerio Synchronization Plugin. KSP allows the synchronization of calendar and contact items when used with an IMAP (or POP3) account.

Together, these features allow for a full-featured roaming user who can work offline and synch changes to the server upon reconnect.

Do you plan to use the KSP in your organization? If so, why?

Conversely, do you have a reason to not use KSP? Why not? Please be specific.

Your responses will help us better shape our products - thank you!

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2005 09:40]

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
sedell

I don't plan to use it.

1. The KOC was supposed to do away with the need for something like that.

2. Outlook makes for an absolutely horrid IMAP client.

3. POP usage defeats the purpose of getting KMS in the first place.

Scott
  •  
raldridge

The offline system should all be integrated in the KOC. That was the understanding orginally, and would make for a much less klutzy system. And BTW - you need to get a decent search system working for email bodies.
  •  
jonbrain

In is current funcitonality, No.

1. IMAP support is terrible in Outlook.
2. POP 3 defeats the entire point, as email is stored on the local machine.

The only way I would use the synch tool is if Kerio could make it improve IMAP functionality.

1. When deleting email it used the 'Deleted Items' or at the very least there could be an option to purge all delted emails on exit.

2. When you send an email it is moved to 'Sent Items' (on the server) and is marked as unread.

3. On load it goes straight into your IMAP folder not your Personal Folder.

It still isn't what I expected but would definitely be a solution for most of my users.

I understand that Kerio are pushing towards standard based protocols like IMAP and iCal which is great for a lot some my more technical users e.g. Thunderbird, ICal, Mac Mail etc. But at the end of they day most want to use Outlook and want it to be quick and have as much functionality as possible. The KOC was supposed to offer this, but without caching it is to slow and doesn't provide enough functionality. Is there no way of Synching a POP 3 mailbox back to the server? I really think this would be the perfect solution.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:17]

•  
Tradey

If we decide on using KMS at all, we will use KOC and not KSP, for the same reasons already written above.

However, I would like to be offered the possibility to choose if I want to use offline storage in KOC or not. Since our users cannot work anyway if the server that will run the mailserversoftware goes down, there is no need for being able to use EMail. So why waste the MBs on the local disks? There should not be any restrictions to pure online working, though.

A real necessity for synchronisation is PDA-Sync. Be it a Palm, a WindowsCE, CellPhone or what ever. It should be possible, with and without offline mailstorage. And, please, do NOT use .pst-files for offline storage and especially not a single .pst for every shared calendar as merak mailserver does!
  •  
jledbett

I too will not be using the KSP in it current form. Outlook is terrible at IMAP and POP defeats the purpose. For months now we have been led on that there would be offline caching in the KOC and that would solve most all of the problems. This is what I have told my users and my CFO. Now I have to go back and tell them it wont get any better and I am very tempted to migrate to Exchange.

The problems that keep Kerio from working are limited searching capabilities, slow sorting and opening of folders, LDAP is limited in search, many of Outlook's normal features do not work with KOC, and in my case the Active Directory feature just doesnt work for me.

I will explain that last one a bit since many people will say it works just fine. Yes I can get it to work with AD, but I have multiple email domains and only a single AD domain, so when I hook them all up, if I activate an AD account, I get email addresses in all my email domains, which is not what I want, but even worse if for example I have three email domains, then I have used three licenses for one user! Upon contacting support, I was told "That's just the way it is".

•  
bperkins

I am a BIG fan of Kerio, but I too am disappointed in the offline caching solution. I'm disappointed for all the reasons above:

1) Outlook is not a good IMAP client
2) You can't have just one set of folders, you have to have your Personal Folders and your IMAP folders. This gets to be confusing for a lot of non-technical email users. It also just looks clumsy.
3) I do believe we were kind of "misinformed" (sounds nicer than lied to). I think everyone here was under the impression that offline caching was being implemented in a new and improved KOC.

We mostly use webmail, so overall I am impressed with the progression of the webmail and I will continue to use KMS. However, we do use KOC a little bit. I like the progression of the KOC. There is a big difference in KOC 6.0.0 and 6.0.10. I think Kerio should try to add offline caching into the KOC.

Seeing the solution for offline caching is the first time I've been disappointed in Kerio. I don't think "potential buyers" of KMS will like the solution either compared to a nice KOC. I think you will end up losing potential and current users in the long run.

I like to read this forum to find out other user's experiences and add my own. A lot of times I get kind of frustrated of all the KMS bashing and don't feel KMS gets the recognition it deserves. It gets kind of old hearing only complaints, when I think KMS is still an outstanding product. HOWEVER, I do believe all the bashing of late is JUSTIFIED due to the caching solution.

If this "survey" is because Kerio is rethinking their decision based on the forum disgust, then please be up front with us and let us know the future plans of the KOC. This might heal some of the wounds. EVEN IF WE HAVE TO WAIT A LITTLE LONGER.

There's my $.02

BP
  •  
sonofcolin

We couldn't care for KSP, KOC or Outlook.

Please concentrate on keeping KMS a fully featured and stable mailserver rather than a bloated groupware exchange clone. If you insist on following this path, then please separate KMS into two distinct products: A mailserver and a groupware server. We will not pay extra for these features that we do not need. With the current stratergy Kerio has taken, you risk losing many customers in both camps!
  •  
tekfal23

The KMS works great. The KOC is a great concept that falls a bit short. It has all the functionality that most users require, however it is buggy. I would be 100% satisfied with the KMS/KOC package if I could just get my "hanging" issues worked out. I like the webmail, I wish it was just a little bit faster, but nothing I can't deal with. Sorting needs to be worked out within folders since it will cause a severe hang if there are a lot of messages in a folder with in Outlook. The KSP is not the answer. IMAP e-mail is confusing for the non-computer literate, and it is confusing for many who are computer literate. I'm also tired of all the KMS bashing, but releasing the KSP is not the answer. It upsets me that this is the solution they give us because they have a potentially great product. None of us are mistaken. We were all told that offline mode was coming for the KOC. The only guess I can offer is that they saw they couldn't deliver it on a deadline and they knew that they had to give us something and they hoped that the KSP would satisfy at least some people. Quit with the KSP. No one is going to accept it, it isn't what we were promised, put your effort into something useful like working out the issues with the KOC and you'll have top-notch, saleable product.
  •  
peterj

I'm afraid I am mainly going to echo the comments of most others in this thread, particularly tekfal...

To summarise:

Outlook + Imap is rubbish
- Confusing deletion model
- Problems with storage
- two folder trees
- KSP does not even sync custom cal/contact folders

POP3 & KSP - This would be pointless - we want central mailbox storage!

I will go further than others have so far said as obviously we have been lied to and not just once but repeatedly for months.

The problems with performance & stability of the KOC (connected at LAN speeds) just makes the need for proper offline mailbox caching more distinct. We had been promised this solution not only for our notebook users but also as an alternative to the problems with the traditional KOC.

Pavel - MDaemon can do it so please don't make excuses re offline support

JThomas - We did not misunderstand what has been promised for 6.1 since last July so please don't patronise your customers further.
  •  
peterj

PS.

In case you hadn't guessed I won't be using the KSP!!!!

:-)
  •  
peterj

In fact with luck I won't be using KMS any more at all once we use up the rest of the subscription we have payed for.
  •  
Soup

I'd have to agree, I feel very let down that KOC offline cacheing was never implemented as promised.

Many of my users are on macs, for whom IMAP works a treat in mail.app, but the majority are on PC's who use Office Xp / 2003 by default and within that (not cheap) suite is Outlook 2003.

Outlook running IMAP is just no good for my users, they don't particuarly use the calendaring features etc, but they would not be at all happy about changeing to something like Thunderbird or another less featured email client simply because they've been using Oulook for years now and want to stick with it.

Outlook needs to work like it did when we ran exchange, and this is what Kerio said it would do!

Paul.

3 x Apple Xserve G5 DP2.3
1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
jshaw541

My poll response:

We may use this KSP thing if it doesn't require Outlook. I haven't even looked at KSP yet.

Other than that, we have absolutely no need for KOC or any of that functionality. We don't use Outlook, and probably never will. The calendar is nice, but we're sticking to standards (IMAP, in our care).

If the Kerio Outlook functionality were to be dropped today, we'd probably breathe a sigh of relief knowing that more resources could be devoted to other aspects of KMS, like anti-spam measures and webmail richness.

Just my 2 cents, and I know a lot of other customer's opinions are different. I just liked the pre-trying-to-be-an-Exchange-killer days of Kerio :)

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
peterj

JShaw

The KSP is a sync Plugin for Outlook.. (& not a good one)

Why bother trying to answer the question about whether you will use it if you don't know what is is.

Seems to me that your 2cents are not relevant in this thread.

Previous Topic: [OT] iCal dropping the DTEND attribute
Next Topic: Nokia E61 activesync and secure certs
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 19:12:51 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00660 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.