Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Thunderbird
  •  
jonbrain

Send a private message to this user
I was wondering if anyone could help answer a few questions on Thunderbird working with Kerio 6.0.10.

1. How do I use LDAP? I managed to kind of get it working but it would not autofill in the latest version.

2. What do you do about the Trash folder? Is there anyway of making it use the Deleted Items? or can you change Kerio to use the Trash folder?

Any help much appreciated.

Jono.
  •  
Petr Dousa (Kerio)

jonbrain wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 11:38

2. What do you do about the Trash folder? Is there anyway of making it use the Deleted Items? or can you change Kerio to use the Trash folder?

Add this line to prefs.js:
user_pref("mail.server.server1.trash_folder_name", "Deleted Items");

Petr Dousa
user experience designer, Kerio
  •  
jonbrain

Thanks that works great. Any advice on getting LDAP working?
  •  
jonbrain

Forgot to say I'm using Kerio on OS X 10.3 with Apple Open Directory for authentificaton. Can I use the schema that Kerio supply?
  •  
nickrooster

Jonbrain --
To set up LDAP to autofill with addresses from the Kerio Public Folders, Go to
1) Edit->Account Settings (This is on Linux, sorry, but Mac should be near the same)
2) Composition and Addressing
3) Click Edit Directories
4) Choose the one you have partially set-up and click edit (This should also, I think, work for setting up new, but here comes the important part - )
5) give it a name, make sure the hostname is correct (either IP or hostname), In Base DN use: fn=public,fn=ContactRoot , choose the proper port, and type in your email address in Bind DN.

It should work after you enter your email password! A good way to test is to click OK, then go back to the edit screen and click on the Offline tab and click download. It should ask you for your password, with your username filled in from the data in the BindDN field.
Enjoy!
Now... I am trying to convert Kerio's vCard format to LDIF files for import into OpenLDAP... I have a nifty perl script to do this, and it seems to work well. If you would like to use this once I finish modifying it for our setup, I can post it or a link to the original.
If you have any tips on this for me, they would be greatly appreciated! Also let me know if this was not very clear.
Thanks,
-Nick
  •  
nickrooster

Also forgot to mention - it seems that Kerio's LDAP server is not really an LDAP server :) . It stores its contacts in vCards (I assume for Outlook compat.) and it does not appear to have a visible schema or expandable schema.
-Nick
  •  
germanr

Add this line to prefs.js:
user_pref("mail.server.server1.trash_folder_name", "Deleted Items");

Petr Dousa
Kerio developer

What do I have to subsitute for "mail.server.server1" in the line you suggested? I added the line to prefs.js (located at Program Files/Mozilla Thunderbird/Default/Profiles), but had no luck.

I replaced mail.server with the name of the mail server, but also didn't have luck.

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
nickrooster

user_pref(" mail.server.[servernumberoftheimapaccount].trash_folder_name ", "Deleted Items);
It will not always be server1. For Example, for me it was server2.
It will never be your server's IP or hostname, as these server numbers are internal to Thunderbird.
-Nick
  •  
germanr

Found the error I was making. There was another prefs.js on Documents & Settings\....\Profiles

Also found some further information on. http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP_Trash_folder

Now works fine.

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
Petr Dousa (Kerio)

It seems that Thunderbird 1.1 will contacin GUI for this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=182274

Cool :-)

Petr Dousa
user experience designer, Kerio
  •  
jonbrain

Hi nickrooster

Sorry I still can't get this working. Should I be using the Kerio LDAP server on a different port or should I use Open Directory?

I got usernames coming back from the Open Directory but they didn't have any information e.g. email address etc

Sorry if I am being really stupid, your help is much appreciated.

Jono.

•  
nickrooster

Ah! You are using OpenDirectory as well!
Which would you like to pull from?
For OpenDirectory, you will have to find out what the Base DN is.
If you were using only Kerio's integrated LDAP, my instructions would work.

You can find out your Base DN (I think) by going to /etc/openldap/slapd.conf (might be wrong, and these are linux-centric directions). And hunt around...

Make sure that your ports are correct, and you are using the correct hostname. Is this on the same box?
-Nick
  •  
nickrooster

Oh, wait again! If you are getting something back, either your schema in OpenDirectory does not support the openLDAP style email addresses, and therefore Thunderbird can't see them, or you have no email addresses that match your query in OpenDir. (I think.) I am kinda new to LDAP so pardon my ignorance!
-Nick
  •  
jonbrain

I set it up to use the Kerio LDAP server. Running Debug I could see the following happen on the server:

[25/May/2005 16:23:02][129826816] {ldaps} Searching subfolders in #public/*
[25/May/2005 16:25:26][129576960] {ldaps} LDAP server session begin; client connected from 192.168.0.125:1232
[25/May/2005 16:25:26][129576960] {ldaps} Authenticating user susie<_at_>computerlove.co.uk...
[25/May/2005 16:25:29][129576960] {ldaps} User susie<_at_>computerlove.co.uk not authenticated
[25/May/2005 16:25:29][129576960] {ldaps} Search for substring .*jo.* in attribute mail
[25/May/2005 16:25:29][129576960] {ldaps} Search for substring .*jo.* in attribute cn
[25/May/2005 16:25:29][129576960] {ldaps} Search for substring .*jo.* in attribute givenname
[25/May/2005 16:25:29][129576960] {ldaps} Search for substring .*jo.* in attribute sn
[25/May/2005 16:25:29][129576960] {ldaps} Searching subfolders in #public/*
[25/May/2005 16:28:02][129826816] {ldaps} LDAP server session close.
[25/May/2005 16:30:29][129576960] {ldaps} LDAP server session close.

So it looks like it was doing something, but unfortunately no results where coming back.
nickrooster

The "User was not authenticated" line tells you what's up...
Wrong password or none provided where there should be.
Perhaps you told it to remember the incorrect password?
-Nick
Previous Topic: Any Issues with OS X, Ultra320 SCSI, ATTO Card
Next Topic: LDAP filter for OU
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 13:36:11 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00521 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.