Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » 5.7.10 upgrade to what?
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

Peter, I believe I thanked everyone for their feedback. The information was very helpful, particularly the specific complaints about IMAP and Outlook. We will be looking carefully at everything that was mentioned.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
peterj

Joshua,

Are you seriously suggesting that "Thank you all for your feedback" is an adequate & appropriate response to all the S*** that Kerio is puting it's customers through?

As you seem to be incapable of responding effectively let me ask you some direct questions:

1) Do you have any plans for the KOC to have offline caching & if so when?

2) Do you accept that KOC performance is unacceptable & what steps are you taking to improve this..?

3) Will 6.1 have the facility to mark as spam/notspam (train bayes) by moving mail via IMAP between folders?

4) When will 6.1 really be released?

5) Will the 'search body' bug be resolved in the KOC & using IMAP in 6.1?

6) Are there any plans to make the calendar writable via ical?

7) Will the LDAP query syntax problems be cured in 6.1?

8) Will the 6.1 webmail be zend optimised again?

9) Are there any plans to make it possible to host the KMS webmail etc on a different server with apache etc??

10) What are the chances of getting an apology re the Offline Access & KSP disaster?

11) Will those customers who were told that 6.1 included offline caching and subsequently renewed their maintenance get a refund for this?
  •  
raldridge

I agree that Kerio needs to address most of the above list. But don't hold your breath for 10 and 11.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 June 2005 14:45]

•  
jshaw541

s2000news wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 14:56

Hey all,

I have been running 5.7.10 for over a year. I keep an eye on the forums here to see the new features and releases.

I have been a bit scared to upgrade, as all the issues the 6.0.x series had.

If I do upgrade, what version do you guys feel is the best and most stable right now? I have a very few people using webmail, so that isn't an issue.

So, what version would you recomend? Can I just upgrade from 5.7.10 to a 6.0.x ver or should I load lower version and work my way up to the one I want?

Thanks for any advice...

Wow, lots of (seemingly right) heated answers. Getting back on topic, whether you should upgrade to the 6.0 series or not depends:

Pro's:
- Better spam fighting in 6.0
- Seems to have better performance, SMTP/POP3/IMAP-wise
- And other little nice-isms

Con's:
- Pitifully slow and clunky webmail interface. 6.1 fixes this, as we customers have verified by using the publically-available beta.
- If you're looking for Outlook connectivity, apparently, you want to keep looking.

Bottom line, if you upgrade to 6.0 your webmail users will likely complain and want the old interface back.

If all you're serving is IMAP/POP services, and webmail's not a big issue you should upgrade.

Most of our clients are using Apple Mail and Thunderbird, and a lot of people willingly put up with the KMS webmail client because it's so handy. They certainly do gripe about the lack of speed though.

6.1 looks like a bright horizon for most of us, though. The webmail's great, the spam controls are a lot better, seems more stable than production 6.0 versions, etc.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
peterj

I would generally agree with JShaw.

KOC & Webmail are crappy but basic IMAP/POP/SMTP is fine - but who cares - any (even free) mailserver can provide these kinds of basics!
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

peterj wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 12:12

Joshua,

Are you seriously suggesting that "Thank you all for your feedback" is an adequate & appropriate response to all the S*** that Kerio is puting it's customers through?

As you seem to be incapable of responding effectively let me ask you some direct questions:

Although I'm not Joshua, I believe I can answer some technical questions:

1) Yes, we are still working on offline cache for KOC. KSP is not supposed to be a direct replacement of KOC (as you can see, both extensions are released together). KSP is for users who need primarily offline access to their mailbox and calendar. It is not supposed to provide 100% functionality of Outlook in this version.

3) Yes, you can try it in released beta 5.

4) Beginning of July.

5) This is not a bug. KMS do not support body searching. Actually you can do it in your e-mail client.

6) Apple iCal is designed for using at least two calendars (subscribed one and published one). Calendar cannot be published to same location as the subscribed one. So there are two independent calendars shown in one window in iCal. Two-way synchronization is not possible. However, Mozilla Sunbird can subscribe and publish same calendar so it works better.

7) I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain it more?

Cool Yes, it will. Zend (or other) optimizer for PHP scripts is frequently used in applications because it optimizes performance of webserver.

9) WebMail in KMS runs on integrated webserver, and is closely connected to KMS engine through PHP functions. It cannot run on standalone webserver.

This is not an official statement from Kerio. I'm just trying to answer all questions although it is not easy while reading such rude attacks.
  •  
peterj

Well firstly I should thank you for at least responding Pavel, this has been a rare occurence from any of Kerio's staff.

(However this is likely to be due to the tone of your upset customers)

You seem to have missed Q2, Q10 & Q11, an oversight I'm sure...?

Q9 - You haven't answered the question, I asked if there were plans to change the status quo.

Q1 - Thankyou for reassuring me that the KSP is a stopgap, however what I really want to know is when Offline access will be available, without your best estimate for this how can I gauge whether to scrap KMS & go back to Exchange.

Q3 - The general consensus seems to be that this doesn't work in B5, can you clarify this.

Q5 - No body searching!! You are sounding like M$ describing bugs as 'inbuilt features'

Q7 - Your implementation of LDAP seems at odds with many mail clients, a little while ago it couldn't be queried for addresses in outlook, since this is resolved there are still issues with clients like T'Bird. I can point out the threads referring to these issues if you like...?

and I'd like to add one more while (hopefully) I have your attention ;-

Q12 Are Kerio still planning to increase the price of KMS by 15% when 6.1 is released?

PS

Please don't interpret my disappointment/frustration/anger with Kerio & KMS as rudeness, this just isn't true, I consider being deceived to obtain continued ownsership/maint of KMS disgusting..
  •  
bperkins

Q3 - Does seem to work for me. I have only done this using the webmail (both full and lite). I haven't tried with an IMAP client. In webmail, you can move several messages at a time to Junk-Mail and it marks them spam. This is a great feature!!

Thanks for all the info you give us Pavel and Josh!

BP
  •  
jshaw541

Pavel,

Thanks for these great bits of information. This is what I like to see as a Kerio customer, even if the response is informal/unofficial.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
raldridge

Pavel, thanks for your reply, but what does this mean?

"This is not a bug. KMS do not support body searching. Actually you can do it in your e-mail client."

I am NOT able to search the body text of email in Outlook 2003 while using KOC.

And we need some more info on when the KOC will work correctly. Maybe Kerio should consider working with Bynari on a version of their Connector.

Thanks

•  
peterj

Hi BP,

I thought the official line previously was that marking multiple messages as spam for bayes would corrupt things, this was why you couldn't multiple select and use the toolbar buttons. (allegedly)

It seems that this has been exposed as an excuse if you can multiple mark as spam by moving mail now.

Am I remembering correctly???
  •  
peterj

Another question for Joshua/Pavel:

Will the webmail in 6.1 include Distribution Lists/Groups as we were told it would? I don't see it in the beta..?
  •  
bperkins

peterj wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 17:56

Hi BP,

I thought the official line previously was that marking multiple messages as spam for bayes would corrupt things, this was why you couldn't multiple select and use the toolbar buttons. (allegedly)

It seems that this has been exposed as an excuse if you can multiple mark as spam by moving mail now.

Am I remembering correctly???

Yes, you are remembering correctly. Unless moving the messages to the Junk-Email folder functions differently than using the buttons (security wise)?? I don't know?
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

bperkins wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 15:05

Yes, you are remembering correctly. Unless moving the messages to the Junk-Email folder functions differently than using the buttons (security wise)?? I don't know?

Yes, this operates differently internally (as much as I understand these things).

As of 6.1, moving a message to the Junk Mail folder in KOC or IMAP will act as if you had pressed the "Spam" button; moving a mail out of the Junk Mail folder acts as if you had pressed the "Not Spam" button.

-Joshua

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

peterj

Well if you lot don't understand how it works what hope is there!!!

Care to answer any of the above questions...?
Previous Topic: free/busy error
Next Topic: Solved Forget
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 01:28:08 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00579 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.