Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Request for Feedback - Backup Options in 6.1
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

For those who have tried the beta of KMS 6.1, what is your opinion of the changes to the backup feature? What do you like or dislike about it?

Thank you,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
sedell

I think it's a rediculous solution.

1. Limiting to only a full backup takes considerably more time and diskspace to perform. A full backup once a week followed by incremental backups the rest of the week is a far better way to go.

2. Only being allowed to backup 3 times a week leaves us open to tremendous loss of data should a disaster strike, and is completely unacceptable.

Scott
  •  
desquinn

Completely agree with Sedell's statement......

While I never use incrementals except as a stop gap measure due to tape capacity/backup windows issues, the idea of not having the option for just those scenarios is ridiculus.

I know this is a marketing dept. pushed "feature", ultimately this is a feature that a sysadmin is going to make a recomendation on, and taking away flexibility and putting data at risk for long periods of time is not going to get them to go for the product.

This would be a show stopper for me as a buying decision. A clent is not going to understand when you say "sorry but all the weekends mail was lost due to the mail program not backing up at the weekend"

Des Quinn
  •  
gaug2

I think the same think, it's bad idea. to much possibility to lost data...
  •  
teco

not a good improvement this kind of backup...

nevertheless, we don't use it anyway. we have an external backup software which copies the whole store-dir (only new and changed files) every 12 hrs. to a different location. So we would loose only a maximum of 12 hrs.

thats the reason why we need a single storage and not a database (like exchange uses).

TO JOSHUA: I have send a message to support <at> kerio.com a couple of day ago. Pls. try to get a response for me. All reasons why are in the mail. If you need a copy of it, send a mail to my address in the profile... (This is a non public afair!!!)
  •  
stranikm

Hallo, good you asked. I use only full backup, but I need create backup every working day (5x by week). And more, I backup it to another disk, so, it could be better, if backup can keep only last 5 backup(for example), not just create one, and next and next .... Now I have to check if I have still enought of space on backup disk.
  •  
tekfal23

I'm nervous about being critical, but I firmly believe that this is a large step backwards. The backup was fine.
  •  
teco

I have forget to add an important information to KERIO:

NEVER Remove the archive function in the backup settings. This is the only reason why we can use KMS safely in germany and why I have decide to use KMS.
Unsefull Hint: German tax authority requires a storage of every email which can have a taxable content for at least 6 years (they decide what is a taxable content and what not). Usage of an emailserver or emailsystem which have no archive function which make a backup of every email is not recommended to use. The remove would be a kick off reason for KMS.
It is time wasting for me to explain all users why they are not longer allowed to delete old messages. This way with a automatic archive is much better for me and for the company.
On the other hand, exactly this function (which exchange has not so easy to mangage as in KMS) could be a good sales reason for german customers...

•  
peterj

I agree with most other comments.

I almost exclusively use full backups but the 3times a week limit is crazy!
  •  
interferences

This "feature" is ridiculous. Which admin who intends to keep his job will use a backup strategy which can result in a loss of up to 3 days of emails?

I wrote to customer support about this and didn't even get a reply.
  •  
seali

As much as I like KMS, the new limitation is just too much. We truely need a more flexable backup solution, like what is in 6.0. I also have to agree that the archive feature is essential to several of my clients.
  •  
bperkins

I personally don't use the backup feature, but I love the archive feature also and hope this stays in KMS.
  •  
pwhodges

The restriction of the functionality is absurd, and is more-or-less equivalent to removing the backup feature altogether. As a marketing move, this is perhaps the most crass thing that has been done this time round.

It might be interesting (amusing?) to read the justification that was made for this extraordinary change, as I suppose it was discussed and agreed by someone.

Paul
  •  
pierre.lannoy

Hi all !
For those who have NOT tried the beta of KMS 6.1, what's the changes to the backup feature?

P.Lannoy
ofer

I've just notice about that ..

THIS IS THE MOST RIDICULOUS option that I ever seen

backup is essential I make full back EVERYDAY on my production KMS and the KERIO directory is backup everyday with LEGATO -

3 times a week ??? I just wonder who came up with the idea in the first place .... I don't see any logic resone at all

I bought KMS - since it have the ability to fully recover itself - in a one single command line -
try to recover Exchange for instance ?????

a disaster recovery its a matter of couple of hours - reinstall the OS ,reinstall KMS , restore - and you back on bussines again !!!
I rather the option as it is now -
If KERIO will keep this stupid option in the 6.1 release verion - I would not update my production KMS 6.0.10

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 20:28]

Previous Topic: WebMail Interface
Next Topic: iCal Import error under 10.3.x
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 09:37:55 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00630 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.