Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Archiving
  •  
red14

Send a private message to this user
Hello everybody,

i have a problem with the archiving function in kerio.
I enabled mail archiving but i can't see the archivfolders when
i log on with an administrator account in webmail or outlook.
Kerio Version is 6.0.10

Hope anybody can help me.

Thanks

Red

•  
sedell

You won't be able to see the archive folder. It's not stored in the mail directory. I imagine you could try and change the location of the archive to be in the administrator account, but you'd have to be sure to turn the compression options off.

Scott
  •  
red14

thanks,

it's working fine now.

Red
  •  
teco

The archive folders can be found on the webmail interface.
They are available after the first archived mail.

To move the archive folder outside the configuration tool would only result in loosing these archived files and to get a new archive.

Simply wait until some mails are archived.

In Outlook or Netscape you can find the archive folder only after the first archived mail (tested with Imap. Pop: Unknown, but who uses POP internal ???)
  •  
sedell

What version are you talking about? I'm on 6.0.10 also, and never had the archives available via the web interface.

Scott
  •  
bperkins

Archives are available in webmail.

Make sure the acl.fld file in the ../store/archive/ directory contains the user you want to have access to the archive.

BP
  •  
sedell

Interesting. That hasn't worked... ever. Now it does. But with the speed of the webmail/KOC, and lack of search features, it doesn't appear to be very useful.

Scott
  •  
bperkins

It has come in handy a LOT for me. It can be VERY useful.
  •  
sedell

How do you actually find the messages you want? Do you use the built in search? We have our archives set up to go to an address that we access via IMAP with another client. I couldn't see trying to wade through thousands of messages without at least a good search tool.

Scott
  •  
bperkins

You can do that also, the archive folder is available as an IMAP folder.

I've had a user complain they didn't receive an email yesterday from someone<_at_>mail.com. I would search the logs for that entry to see what time it should have come in and then scrolled and found it very easily. Then I would either forward it or share a folder with them so they could get it.

This would work if they also deleted an email by mistake. It is very easy to retrieve individual messages.

My platform is Linux. So, it is very easy for me to search the logs using grep to find information about the email before scrolling through all the email. I also use the "day" interval to keep the lists "relatively" small (for me about ~2000 messages per day).

I backup each day's archive to tape. It is very easy for me to restore a day's archive from tape and then search for a particular email. It is actually one of my favorite features.

Others might not find it that useful, I don't know. I might be in the minority :-(

BP
  •  
sedell

I agree it's very useful - it's just limited by the search features of the KOC and webmail if it's tacked onto an active account. The problem I have is that we're required to keep archives indefinitely, and there are situations where we have to find older mail. Archiving per day or week makes them very difficult to use later, so we do it by month. It's no fun going through so much mail without a decent way to search.

Scott
  •  
bperkins

I don't have to keep mine indefinitely, but the same scenario would work for me if I did. I would just have a stock pile of tapes ;-)

I keep monthly tapes of archives (a whole month will fit on one tape). I have a backup script the runs every night at 1:30am that backs that days archive to tape and then deletes it off the server.

Let's say that I would have to recover an email from June 20, 2003. I would grap the tape for that month and year and fast forward to the 19th file on the tape (file number starts at 0). Then I would extract that day from the tape and easily find the email.

I've actually had to do this a couple times and have been able to recover an email from long ago in ~10 minutes. The user is usually astonished about how easily emails can be recovered. It would take a little longer if I increased the interval, but would still work.
  •  
sedell

They are usually astonished when I pull up an old e-mail for them as well. Then again, they're shocked when they call for help on something and their mouse starts moving "on it's own" while I fix the problem. lol

Scott
  •  
-nob-

bperkins wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 17:09

Archives are available in webmail.

Make sure the acl.fld file in the ../store/archive/ directory contains the user you want to have access to the archive.

BP

Thanks. This saved my Day, working on a kerio Server who has a first setup from another admin...

[Updated on: Fri, 13 July 2007 15:43]

sjourney

Anyone using Inboxer or any other 3rd party archiving tool with Kerio?
Previous Topic: Treo 650 Reboots After Kerio Calendar Sync
Next Topic: How can I add users from my program?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 15:38:52 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00511 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.