Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Remote Contact Syncronization for IMAP clients
  •  
mitch

Send a private message to this user
Is there an elegant way to regularly/automatically synchronize contacts stored in Kerio Mailserver with the Address Book and Contacts stored in Outlook Express and Mozilla Thunderbird?

Soon, I will have a large number of users that wish to access their email and contacts from work and home computers. The best software for remote email for us is Outlook Express and Mozilla Thunderbird configured for IMAP. However, I do not see an easy/obvious way to keep the contacts synchronized between their work and home computers and Kerio. These users will need to access AND UPDATE their contacts from all locations. LDAP seems to be read-only (both Mailserver and the client software do not provide write functionality).

I noticed the mention of SyncML in Kerio's documentation. Has anybody had any luck with SyncML to update Outlook Express (Windows Address Book) or Mozilla Thunderbird contacts?

I would consider using regular Outlook (not Express) with Kerio's Sync Plug-in (version 6.1), except Outlook has a huge shortcoming of leaving sent IMAP email in the local "Sent Items", rather than moving it to the IMAP "Sent Items". I realize a rule can be set up to deal with this, but I'd prefer not to configure so many remote computers. Also, I'd prefer to use "free" software.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
  •  
sedell

I can't think of a way to sync contacts with OE or Thunderbird, but what about using LDAP?

Scott
  •  
mitch

Kerio, Outlook Express and Thunderbird only provide read-only access to LDAP records.
  •  
sedell

If they're primarily accessing mail at work, they might be able to live with read only access with LDAP. Or, if they're only occasionally accessing from home, you could point them at the webmail. It's faster over the internet than KOC, especially if you use SSL. I don't think there's a way to sync contacts other than the KSP for 6.1, which I don't think anyone plans to use.

Scott
  •  
mitch

Sedell, thanks for your suggestions. The users are accessing email equally at work and at home, so it is best if they use the same software client (webmail is great for when you are away from your computer(s), but web access is generally too slow and unresponsive for frequent everyday use). LDAP works ok for read-only, but you will not see all contacts in the Contacts pain or the address book, which is very important for many users.

The main problem is that they will create many new contacts at home (manually, and automatically from reply emails). These need to be added to the Kerio contacts somehow.
  •  
peterj

Then I think you have a problem.

Sedell is correct & The only way you could do this AFAIK is to use Outlook with the KSP.

However given that no-one else is using it it is not likely to be fantastically stable.

During my testing (Which lasted all of 15minutes when I discovered it didn't provide offline mailbox access) I had lots of problems with duplicates etc
  •  
mitch

I think you're right, Mailserver 6.1 and Outlook with KSP is the way to go. After some testing, contrary to what everybody else seems to be saying, I've found that this combination works very well.

Users can take advantage of Outlook's offline feature (Tools > Send/Receive > Send/Receive Settings > Make This Folder Available Offline) to view email folders offline.

Ultimately, I would like to see Kerio add similar contact sync plug-ins for Outlook Express and Mozilla Thunderbird (maybe using Sync Kolab http://www.gargan.org/extensions/synckolab.html) because they provide much better IMAP support (and are "free").

[Updated on: Thu, 23 June 2005 17:20]

•  
kmfischer

I think , it can be modified to work for Kerio :)
Perhaps if Kerio would a price tag on it's development we can raise funds to get that plugin modified.
So they will support Linux,Mac OSX, Windows and Solaris.
Without Major issues :)

Karl
Previous Topic: Can I edit a warning message?
Next Topic: Open Relay??
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 07:17:56 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00519 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.