Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Sending Large Attachments
  •  
BobH

Send a private message to this user
Kerio Webmail v6.0.10

I have a user who was trying to send some attached files using Kerio Webmail with odd results. When she'd send the message, it would launch another web browser on her system and that screen would display a DNS error message, much like you would get mis-spelling a web address.

After studying it for awhile, I noticed that one of the files she was attaching was quite large; an Adobe Illustrator file ("ai" extension) that was 25 MB in size. I recommended that she zip it and then send it. The resulting zip was less than 5 MB and went through without a problem.

I checked the Kerio warning and error logs and none of these problems showed up.

I experimented on my own system to try to figure out the problem. I attached a 36 Mb file to a message and got a different error saying that "the document contained no data."

My hunch is that this is a bug and that Kerio simply doesn't have any procedure for dealing with very large attachments.

Anyone else experience this problem or know of any Kerio limitations on attachement size.

Thanks.
  •  
jonbrain

I would guess this is impossible. From a web browser I don't think you can detect the file size until it has been uploaded. Therefore if you try and upload a massive file it will time out.

I would guess the only way to get round this is use a java or active X applet to handle the upload, as these can possibly tell how big the file is, but its not worth it.
  •  
bperkins

Please read the following forum topic:

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=15886&S =83fc8565b58747b1d602c7f5d27f76d8#msg_15886

I had this same problem. Apparently ~17M is the limit for webmail. However, this topic says it will be configurable in 6.1.

BP
  •  
BobH

Thanks for the link to the answer.

I had been searching the help file for Kerio Administration but couldn't find a message size limit mentioned but after reading the answer, I looked in the WebMail Guide and they do mention the limit.

Thanks, again.
  •  
bperkins

glad I could help......
  •  
dbott

Not that this is has anything to do with Kerio, but I use a free service called www.yousendit.com that allows you to send files up to 1 GB in size to various e-mail recipients.

In a nutshell, you go to the site, type in the recipient address, your address & then upload the file. Yousendit.com will send an e-mail with a link in it to your recipient that will allow them to download the file (as well as delete it from their server, if you wish). Otherwise the file will be deleted after 1 week.

I use this service often to send large files, as well as keep my users from e-mailing (and storing) large files through our server.

-Dave

[Updated on: Thu, 23 June 2005 03:27]

Previous Topic: CPU Usage on Windows
Next Topic: Kerio Calendar Confirmation E-Mails
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 17:50:05 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00390 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.