Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Switch from Communigate?
  •  
pixelbend

Send a private message to this user
Currently I am running CGP 4.1.8 on a dual 2.5gHz G5 XServe(10.4). I have about 70 users and a couple of reps that are on the road most of the time and need to connect to the server remotely (webmail). I have stayed away from any of the new updates of CGP because of the new licensing scheme but everything is running solid with my current config.

I hear a lot of good things about Kerio's mail server and I like the features I see on the site. I just wonder what the conversion will be like. Will all of my accounts and mail transfer over? Rules? Is it easy to admin from a Mac? Does Kerio offer any cross upgrade pricing? I'd love to hear from some of you who have made the switch.

Also, I realize KMS isn't completely Tiger complient yet, but I'm not talking about doing this tomorrow either.

Thanks for the info.

Pixel
  •  
mkjellman

I just completed this migration myself and it was a pain in my behind. They say they have a script to do the migration, but guess what, it doesn't work. When I tried to talk to Tech Support about it they said they had never seen it before other then when they forwarded it to me.

I ended up needing to migrate 20 users (not close to what you have to do) with the CommuniGate Move2IMAP (I think that is what it is called) You have to migrate each user one at a time and it took forever. Some users ended up with duplicates of ever one of their emails. I also had problems where the scrpt would fail on one email because of a ($hidden) flag on one message on their inbox.

Because CommuniGate has the .mbox format I was unable to delete the file and in the end had to manually move the files by having both servers up and moving them in the email client.

Overall the migration was worth it, Kerio MAPI and webmail are lightyears ahead of CommuniGate. They even have OUT OF OFFICE! in the current RC1 from within Outlook. This was something people in our office have wanted since we moved to CommuniGate. I think you will have to talk to tech support about getting them to fix the script. They wouldn't do it for me, and they still, 4 weeks later, never got back to me on my ticket they said they opened for me.

With 70 users I think it might be impossible to go my route and you will have to find some way to get that script to work. If you have any other questions ask because, this is something no one else has ever seemed to do.

Good luck,
Michael
  •  
he_who

I'm currently working for an organisation and we're in the process of making the switch. I'm currently converting some test accounts but i'm having real difficulty with contact databases. What did you find was the easiest way to do this. I'm currently converting each CommuniGator address book into a single .vcf file and then i'm kind of stuck with what to do with it. I've been assured, however, that i can use the vCard to "import" the new contact information.
  •  
mkjellman

there is no way to migrate the contacts other than to export them to some file format and then reimport them.

the easiest way I found was to have ever user export all of their contacts as a CSV and put them on the network. I knew that exporting to a CSV would make sure that it was only text data and I would be leaving behind any communigate errors that i was having with the contacts.

kerio was no help with this at all
  •  
he_who

one as CSV how did you go about getting them into Kerio, since there doesn't seem to be an obvious import function i guess i need to put them somewhere in the directory structure.
  •  
mkjellman

ahh no...not that easy :) I had to open each account in outlook and then import it to the contacts folder
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Actually, there is an unofficial migration tool from CGP to KMS which migrates following items:
# e-mail domain(s)
# user accounts
# e-mail messages
# calendar items
# contacts

Just contact our technical support and ask for that.
  •  
mkjellman

i actually tried to use it...it doesn't work..i don't know if it was the file changes recently to communigate but it doesn't work...bus error on os x and it just plain causes havoc on anything it does with the windows version

and guess what....support doesn't know anything about it and my bug report was never answered
  •  
he_who

we're actually using the webmail interface and Macs on our desks, is there any way using the normal Kerio software or admin tools that i've missed.
  •  
Anonymous
Do you know which version you used? The latest CommuniGate migration tool is at http://people.kerio.com/jwu/tools.html

•  
mkjellman

That version...i can upload it somewhere if you want to confirm i used that version..i just had major problems with the migration tool and i needed to migrate each user with the migration tools that are provided with CommuniGate
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Hello Michael,

The bug you reported, 9749, is still being investigated. As Brian mentioned in your support ticket, we will update you when we have something to report on it.

The ticket you opened on the 8th of June was closed, as it was reported over the phone that your migration was successful. You can reply and should reply to that ticket if the migration was not sucessful.

The ticket you opened on the 27th in regards to a user's email is still open; Brian asked you for more details on the problem, and we have no reply from you. Could you please reply and describe the problem? All we got from you was an attachment with a user's email.

Thank you,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
mkjellman

I just emailed Brian back, I got the email yesterday at 5:00 so sorry I didn't get back to him quick enough.

We have migrated all of our data from CommuniGate to Kerio and now its just problems with Kerio. But I did have a lot of problems with migrating. The contacts are in some weird format so exporting to a CSV for instance and reimporting was the best solution because the headers et all were in the Kerio format from the beginning..

Using the IMAP migration tool from CommuniGate it was tedious because I had to do each user one at a time but it worked. The one thing I ran into other than the contacts were on a few users there was a ($hidden) header that kerio didn't understand.
  •  
teddytis

I've been going back and forth with support and haven't heard back in a couple days (maybe busy releasing 6.1 :) ) so I'll try here. i can use the communigate export script and it adds the user to kms fine and imports all the email, kinda. Basically it imports the data and if I go into kerio's message store and view the messages they will show up. but from the webmail interface only the headers load, it doesn't load the message. When i use imap to connect to it it will show the message but the attachments will be 0 length and I can't open them. This is with both 6.0.10 and 6.1rc1 on Mac OS X Tiger Server (I know it's not 'officially' supported but hoping it will be in 6.1). As a last resort we can just use the import script to import the users and then just have them manually copy attachments over from the old server to the new one. Also plan on trying the imap migration tool since although we have around 100 users, maybe 10 of them use imap. So do those 10 users manually and then the rest use the communigate migration tool. Unless anyone else has run into this and knows how to tell communigate to rebuild it's message store (I tried the utility that is supposed to reset the message store and that didn't help)
mkjellman

this was the main problem that I had once I used the script from support. I was unable to get it to ever load in webmail and the KOC complained that the store was corrupted.

again, my solution was to export the users contacts to a CSV, use the IMAP conversion script in the migration folder of the CommuniGate folder, migrated users information, and reimported the contacts to the contact folder from the CSV.

I hope you find a way around that though because it was a pain. Kerio support just surprised me with an email and script for a problem I was having and I am happy as a clam.
Previous Topic: Migration from TeamAgenda to KMS
Next Topic: Kerio 6.3.1 with KOC and sync
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 12:19:58 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00535 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.