Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » 4.4.1 cannot connect to remote host
  •  
winkelman

Send a private message to this user
Maybe stupid, but just trying to help:
Are you sure you're actually pinging the server contained in the MX record of their domain?
  •  
bperkins

Not stupid at all....

I'm pinging what shows up under the "server" column in the Mail Queue Processing tab in the admin console. I'm pretty sure I'm pinging the correct server.

I don't know how, but all indications are that they have blacklisted me somehow. I don't think it is something wrong with KMS now after investigating this, but not positive.

Thanks for the help. I'll post again if I find anything out.
  •  
sedell

Did you try to telnet over to the remote server to see what responses you get?

Scott
  •  
sedell

I just had another thought. Do an MX lookup with a remote tool, such as http://www.dnsstuff.com/ to see if your server is using a bad cached record.

Scott
  •  
bperkins

That's some good information sedell.....

I can ping the host. I cannot telnet to port 25 on the host. Using the website you gave me, there is an A record, but no MX record for this host.

Would this be the ultimate problem?

Many thanks,
BP
  •  
sedell

If there's no MX record, the server should try to deliver to the address specified in the A record.

I guess the big question is why you can't connect on 25 to the host in the A record. Have you ever received mail from that domain/host? Just wondering if there's actually an SMTP server running on that host. If not, problem solved.

If there is, there's the issue of why you can't connect to it. If you're blacklisted by the mailserver, you should get a response as such. If you've been blocked at a gateway or firewall level for some reason, or if for whatever reason port 25 is blocked between you and the host, there won't be any response at all. The only way to test that would be to try and connect from another location/IP address and see if a connection can be established.

Of course, there's still the issue of why the mail is still in your outbound queue. What do you have 'Return the message to sender if not delivered in:' set to?

Scott
  •  
bperkins

Thanks Sedell! I've thought of all of those questions. I'll let you know what I find out. I have the return to sender set at 3 days.

BP
  •  
bperkins

One of my users (the one trying to send email to this person) found an old email. So, I looked at the headers of the email and I was able to verify IP numbers that I had gathered.

I was telneting and pinging the right server. Since I can ping the person, but get no port 25 response whatsoever, they must have me blocked for some reason.

Thanks for your help sedell and winkelman. Sedell, thanks for that website, very handy.

BP
  •  
sedell

My pleasure. I find that site to be very useful myself.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 October 2005 17:28]

Scott
  •  
pwhodges

steved7127 wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 12:42

(gtukdex2.gtuk.com: Cannot connect to remote host)

That server is not responding for me either. But the domain has two other servers with higher priority MX records which are both responding, so mail ought to be delivered without problems.

Paul
Previous Topic: outlook 2002 slowness
Next Topic: Why Can't I Run Webmail With IIS?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 14:06:19 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00486 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.