Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » how to set up laptops for intern use and extern use (IMAPI/FTP)
  •  
KCAP

Send a private message to this user
Hi,
I'm trying to set up laptops with the KOC for outlook to connect to our mailserver passing our firewall.
We don't have a domain, just a IP for internet connection. When i install everything to a local IP (mailserver) everything works but of coarse not when the laptop is connected from the outside, If i put the internet IP in the KOC config, it all works fine from the outside but not from the inside. We have a windows server and is DNS server. How to work around this???

Greetings
teun

Teun
KCAP [NL]
  •  
winkelman

What you should do is not put an IP address in the configuration, but a hostname (such as 'mailserver.domain.com').

Internally you can control the DNS response and you should point it towards the internal IP address of the server. On the internet you should register the same (sub)domain and let it point to the external IP address of the server.

Voila Very Happy
  •  
KCAP

winkelman wrote on Fri, 01 July 2005 12:38

What you should do is not put an IP address in the configuration, but a hostname (such as 'mailserver.domain.com').

Internally you can control the DNS response and you should point it towards the internal IP address of the server. On the internet you should register the same (sub)domain and let it point to the external IP address of the server.

Voila Very Happy

Thank you,
But before i register domains, is there not a way to set up this in for example the hosts file.
I tried but doesn't work, i tried :
Hosts file: (on server and KFW)

213.201.150.190 192.168.47.6
(IP internet con.) (IP internal (web)mail server KMS)

Is there a way to let it work? (when i type the ip number in ie there is a meassage that the connection was refused? (KFW messages)

can somebody help me with this

Teun

Teun
KCAP [NL]
  •  
winkelman

The hosts file can only translate a hostname to an IP address. Not an IP address to another IP address. (An IP address doesn't need translating so the hosts file or DNS server are never queried.)

What you need is one name/address in the laptop's Kerio configuration that points two different addresses when you are inside or outside the companies LAN. You can never achieve this by doing 'something clever and simple' on the laptop itself (as far as I know). There simply does not exist a sort of hosts file that redirects user based on the current location of the laptop.

(The simplest solution I think would be to make two Outlook profiles for the same user: one for inside and one for outside.)

[Updated on: Tue, 05 July 2005 10:58]

•  
gjb957

What port does Kerio MAPI use? I would love to setup our road warriors with full Outlook access to the mail server.
Thanks,
gjb
Previous Topic: WiFi stops working after KWF installation
Next Topic: P2P Problems...
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 18:33:31 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00370 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.