Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook is slow / hangs with KOC
  •  
localgareth

Send a private message to this user
Hi

I have a client that is running KMS 6.0.9, on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 3.0.

Often, users experience a massive slowdown with Outlook XP especially when working with attachments.

They have 25 users, and the server is an IBM xSeries 236, dual processor 3.2Ghz Xeon, with 2Gb of RAM and a fast SCSI RADI5 array.

Kerio tell me to upgrade to 6.0.10; their first response to any problem seems to be "upgrade", without really knowing if the upgrade will resolve the problem.

Given the problems my client has suffered when he has upgraded KMS on previous occasions, unless the upgrade to 6.0.10 definitely fixes the issue, he would (understandably) prefer not to.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Many thanks

Gareth
  •  
peterj

6.0.10 doesn't make KOC any faster in my experience

6.1 seems slightly better though if it ever arrives..
  •  
jonbrain

6.0.10 seems slightly better at sending emails but generally isn't any faster.

I have not come accross any extra problems with 6.0.10 so I would reccomend the upgrade.

Unfortunatelly we still have no idea when 6.1 is coming, which although will possibly not improve the speed greatly of the Outlook Connector, does look well worth the upgrade for the improved webmail.

Just wish Kerio would get it released!!!

•  
localgareth

Thanks for the feedback guys. So should I just accept this poor performance and live with it?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Anyone from Kerio Support care to comment?!?

Gareth
  •  
peterj

We can't really advise you on the KOC performance.

What I would say is that if any of your users have used exchange then think twice. All I ever hear is "well that worked before" or "it used to be a lot quicker with exchange".

If you can use POP/IMAP on some clients this will alleviate potential for stress...

•  
Jason

The "best" workaround to KOC speed is to have your users divide up their messages into subfolders as much as possible. KOC seems to have a performance issue with folders with large numbers of messages.

Even so, your users are going to get frustrated with the speed - not to mention that they won't be able to search body text. Our company Officers are basically demanding we go back to Exchange. :(
  •  
digiclone

Exact same issues here. It really is too bad Kerio can't make KOC better. If it was faster, had local caching (which would make it seem faster), and had the ability to search full body like Exchange, it would be a great product even with some of the other bugs. We were really hoping KOC would be much improved in 6.1, but so far are sadly dissapointed. KOC was our reason for moving to Kerio and unfortunately may also be the reason we have to switch back to Exchange. Upper management is already trying to work Exchange back into the budget for this year. And it is really unfortunate, because I was really hoping Kerio would work out.
  •  
peterj

I agree with the comments posted here regarding the KOC and some of them are echoed in the topics regarding 6.1's (eventual) release.

It does seem ironic that the KOC is potentially such a great feature it is winning Kerio customers but that it's shortcomings are later forcing them to move up (or back) to Exchange.

I have been saying for months that KOC problems are the most important things for Kerio to fix but they seem too concerned with adding new features than getting the fundamentals working..!

MAKE IT FASTER & GIVE US OFFLINE ACCESS!!
  •  
digiclone

Well, if Kerio ever gets KOC working fast enough and with offline/caching, I will recommend it to everyone and every company I know. And it will give Exchange some stiff competition. Unfortunately as it is now I can't recommend it to anyone, as KOC is just too slow and all the users get frustrated and complain insessantly.
  •  
digiclone

If anyone has any ideas on how to speed up koc or any workarounds to speed it up without loosing public folder functionality, I would love to hear it!
  •  
peterj

I don't think there is a way to speed the KOC up.

We will just have to wait & hope that Kerio bother to make it less ponderous. At the moment I would settle for a fix to stop OL2000 crashing frequently.

At least the users have stopped complaining about the speed of KOC now it isn't even stable!!!

:-)

[Updated on: Thu, 28 July 2005 01:56]

•  
2226cc

I've installed the demo version of Kerio. I need to remove Exchange from a network, just like everyone else is doing purely for costing reasons.

I am going to evaluate Kolab and Kerio as both have "Outlook/Exchange groupware" functionality. However, after going through these forums it seems like the KOC is an abomination. I haven't even got one downloaded yet for evaluation, but it sounds like this will be one of the deciding factors as to whether I use Kerio or attempt the Kolab stuff.

But this brings up another question. There are companies who are in the same business, they all use open source components to ideally build the same thing, all running on open platforms with open protocols. All of them that I have looked at offer a Outlook connector. Is it at all possible to use another connector with Kerio?

There's a connector I want to use (the Toltec connector) which has a store and currently I understand works well with some person's 8GB 16000+ e-mail folder. The connector costs the same per user as Kerio's licencing. Around $12. That connector was bench model for the dev work done on Kolab apparently, but it works just fine with Cyrus IMAP and other mail systems.

Could the Toltec connector be used? What is proprietory in the Kerio connector?

And this leads to another question... would one need to double up on purchasing costs should one decide to go with a different (or a currently installed) connector? I mean, for each user you'd need a Kerio licence, and then a Toltec purchase as well. Doubles the price.
  •  
peterj

Two Things...

I suspect that you will not have any luck getting a non-Kerio Outlook connector to work. I have tried several (Not Toltec 'tho) but the KOC seems very proprietary to me..

Also even if you could do this; as you said; you would need to double-purchase. This is because the KOC is not sold as an addon to KMS (Other vendors do this) The licenses are built into the per-user price.

PS. You should also bear in mind that in the UK the cost of a 20User addon has just doubled from 59 to 129 overnight so you could be stuck with escalating costs & who knows if it will happen again...
  •  
2226cc

I might as well chuck it out then. I need a cached mode of some sorts. If the KOC will not do that then it's pointless and everyone might as well use the webmail interface. That will cause me more stress. :P

I'm beginning to dread the Kerio connector even before using it.

That's a horrible hike in costs as well. No reasoning behind it?
localgareth

It is wholly inappropriate that no one from Kerio support has posted in this thread.

Gareth
Previous Topic: messages in queue is always empty???!?!
Next Topic: bug on apple ldap map
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 14:23:04 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00555 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.