Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Spell Check troubles in 6.1.0
  •  
winkelman

Send a private message to this user
The spell checker has become useless in 6.1.0. It removes words/sentences, inserts question marks on every emtpy line, removes spaces everywhere, etc. The message is completly 'destroyed' by the spell checker...

Note: in only seems to be a problem in the 'HTML mode' of the mail editor (which is default). Changing the message to 'plain text' will make the spell checker work.

I looked and found two other topics about this (one from version 6.0.1 and one from 6.0.10):
http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=11178&S =c04058c31107a2cf558cb1a97ff4a15c&srch=spell#msg_11178
http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=23756&S =c04058c31107a2cf558cb1a97ff4a15c&srch=spell#msg_23756
In the second topic, Petr Dousa (a Kerio Developer) says this is a bug that will be fixed in 6.1... Well, I never had any troubles with previous versions and for me the bug is introduced in 6.1...

Anybody else experiencing this?

I upgraded from 6.0.8 to 6.1.0 and manually updated all (4) KOC's and changed the 1 values in the below settings to 0 since I seemed to have some of the same webmail connection problems when going to 6.0.9.
<table name="Http">
<variable name="UseGzip">1</variable> (changed 1 to 0)
<variable name="UseChunked">1</variable> (changed 1 to 0)
</table>
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Hi there,

Yes, we're aware of this bug. The spell checker does not work properly with HTML mail at the moment. If you got any information on when it would be fixed, please ignore it, as these are optimistic guesses and often incorrect.

I don't know yet when this will be fixed, but I know it's being actively worked on.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Actually, both links above are pointing to same problem in KMS 6.0.x. This problem was really fixed. Your issue is not same.
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Pavel, you must be thinking of a different bug; I know we have that one about spellchecker removing spaces between words in 6.1.0.

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
winkelman

I can see why HTML formatted mail would be more difficult to check and change than plan text. I guess keeping the formatting intact is somewhat difficult...

It's good to know this problem is actively worked on.
  •  
Petr Dousa (Kerio)

winkelman, can you provide following info to help fix the bug?

- What platform do you run KMS on? We have a known bug on MacOS X.
- What browser do you use?
- Does it happen with copy-pasted text from other place (other web page), or with text directly written into mail compose window?

Petr Dousa
user experience designer, Kerio
  •  
winkelman

Sure, glad to help:

I run KMS 6.1.0 on a IBM xSeries 335 server (Intel Xeon 3,06Ghz) under Windows 2000 Server (SP4).

Clients are running Windows 98SE, 2000 and XP, all using the latest Internet Explorer (6.0 SP1 with all patches).

The spell check problems are only with HTML messages, plain text messages are ok.

Messages with no errors do not get garbled. If there is one or more errors, it will place a ? on all empty lines and screw up the text arround the errors.

Example:
Before spell check (red words have mistakes in them):
Quote:

Halloo,

Dit iss eenn nederlandse tekstt met flinkk wat foutenn.

Feike

After spell check:
Quote:

Hallo,
?
DitisseennNederlandseetekstt metflinkk watfoutenn.
?
Feike

•  
winkelman

Curious thing is the spell checker does work if you define the dutch dictionairy as default, type an englisch message and then spell checking it (changing the language to English in the spell check window).

However, if you make the default dictionairy English, type an English message and then spell check it (already in the correct language) it will fail...
  •  
winkelman

More info:

If you change the language in the spell check window this will 'fix' the spell checker (no more garbled messages). For example: default language is Englisch, message is English, spell check will behave very strange. BUT if you change the language to something is from within the spell check window and then change it back to English, everything is fine...

So: changing the language fixes the spellchecker...

[Updated on: Wed, 20 July 2005 14:46]

•  
Petr Dousa (Kerio)

Thanks for info and also for the example. I confirmed that it is the same problem as already known bug - it happens only with freshly opened window, changing dictionary language will "fix" it.

Petr Dousa
user experience designer, Kerio
  •  
sophos9

Just to confim what winkleman said

Whilst Kerio work on a fix, follow below to make you spell check work!

1 - Click on Spell Checker
2 - You will notice some of the text the spell checker is trying to display goes to cr** and many "?"'s are added.
3 - Before doing anything, the last setting "Dictionary" has a CHANGE button
4 - Press this and hey presto.... Everything works!

YEY!

Good job Kerio on 6.1, please sort the spell checker cus I cannot spell very well!
  •  
rlatta

You would think a programer would change the default for all users to plain text until they fixed the html problem?
Previous Topic: Rules
Next Topic: How to configure PAM on Linux
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 16:40:09 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00518 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.