Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Which backup strategy is better?
  •  
xavividal

Send a private message to this user
Hi

I'd like to receive answer of users who had tested the two ways.

Which backup strategy is better? Use the backup program of kerio? or make an automated copy of store folder?

I've problems decompressing the new zip backup format and we're worried.

Thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 21 July 2005 14:01]

•  
puskas

I backup the entire Kerio folder, the 3 backups a week feature seems quite crazy to me. I don't know what the thinking is about this.

I think it is necessary to stop the mailserver running if you are doing a manual backup, or your data can get corrupted.

Puskas
  •  
desquinn

Given the incompetent implementation of 3 time a week backup then any admin that wants a proper backup is going to have to backup manually.

This will involve stopping KMS so that you can be 100% sure that you get all the mail in a consistent state.

This process can be easily automated with a shell script but it means the mailserver is offline

Des Quinn
  •  
peterj

When I mentioned the max 3times a week backup yesterday i got this response:

> The backup jobs can only be scheduled 3 times a week.

Yes. This was also true in the beta and RC versions. You'll hear more about this in the next week or so, stay tuned.

Perhaps they are going to change their mind and put the functionality back. Fingers crossed...

•  
desquinn

to his credit Kerio_jthomas has already expressed his sentiments with regard to the current backup policy that is implemented in the latest release.

I hape a measure of common sense returns in the next patch that addresses the universal response regarding the inadequacy of such a limited backup strategy.

IMHO it is so handicapped that all you can do is ignore it and consider the manual method.

but we will see

Des Quinn
  •  
sedell

I agree. I've been considering a manual method, but I don't like the idea of having to take down the mailserver to insure there is no corruption. I can't picture taking down the mailserver for 3-4 hours a day.

Scott
  •  
peterj

I'm really hoping for an early 6.1.1 with some of the major bugs fixed. Hopefully if this appears soons we will get the backup functionality back.

I suspect that Kerio think this would be a bit of a climb-down to fix the backup but IMHO it would just be Kerio listening to customer opinions..
  •  
puskas

I would really like Kerio to explain why they have implemented this 3 day a week backup. It seems absolutely absurd.

With regards to the inbuilt backup, is everyone happy when restoring from it? Even in 6.0.*, I would use a script that took down the mailserver and then dumped the mail onto a backup drive. The reason for this is that I heard the backup feature wasn't reliable in DR situations. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Puskas
  •  
suppertrupper

I miss the possibility for an incremental backup?!
we've up to 2,5GB new mail data per day! it needs a lot of discspace, to make all the time full backups !

and sorry I would like to make the backup every day …
  •  
teco

The inbuild backup function was never a thing which was worth to talk about for a second. If have test it in the trial period and was not happy with it.

My way of backup: Copy every 3 hrs. all mail folders to a different location. I have a sync. software which is freeware. This software takes care, that all moved messages are also moved in the backup.

Never had a corrupt data. everything what was not accessible has been copied by the next turn.

btw. I make a image of the data-hdd and system-hdd every 24 hrs. since 2 years this is one of the easiest ways to get a backup and to prevent loosing of any file or system setting.

If Kerio plans a improvement in backup, it should be more easy to recover. The current way of recover is imho 4-5 years behind actual technology. Before they change anythinge else in backup they should make a more worthfull recovery...

Even some freeware backup software has a more worthfull recovery as KMS (personal opinion, does not reflect the opinion of my employee...)

Question about the compression for achive and backup:
Any experiance with large quantities? I mean anything around 8 GB and higher?
  •  
pwhodges

sedell wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 22:12

I've been considering a manual method, but I don't like the idea of having to take down the mailserver to insure there is no corruption. I can't picture taking down the mailserver for 3-4 hours a day.

In Windows, the downtime could be minimised by using DriveSnapshot (from http://www.drivesnapshot.de). This program makes a time-coherent image of a drive by caching disk write activity so that it can make a copy of the disk as it was at the moment it started.

So you can stop the mail server, start the snapshot, start the mail server again immediately the copy has begun. If it is required to extract only the mail server files for backup, then the snapshot program can also be used to open the image with a drive letter, and the final backup can be done from there.

Paul

[Updated on: Fri, 22 July 2005 13:47]

•  
sedell

Thanks Paul. I'll have to look into that.

Scott
Previous Topic: Multiple Domains and Public IPs
Next Topic: 6.1 whitelist feature
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 19:31:53 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00469 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.